Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Bendis Chronicles the Phases of the "Moon Knight"

On May 4th Los Angeles becomes home to a one man Avengers team as Brian Bendis and Alex Maleev kick of a new ongoing series starring Marvel's most unstable hero, "Moon Knight." CBR News spoke with Bendis about the book.

Full article here.

I love that Bendis wants Moon Knight to simply enjoy crime fightning and his mental issues, not just be tortured by them but pretty much just letting the madness take over as if Konshu himself was using Marc as an avatar or so, still not really sure about the costume swapping, i kinda hope he has MK variations out of the 3 Avengers, but yeah very excited for this and love that he wants to show that Moon Knight can be *the* coolest street hero out there.
    "Finally got rid of all those pesky white males that were burdening the team! Now the Ultimates are urban hipsters... what everyone demanded!" - Exciter
    My Blog

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drz View Post
    I love that Bendis wants Moon Knight to simply enjoy crime fightning and his mental issues, not just be tortured by them but pretty much just letting the madness take over as if Konshu himself was using Marc as an avatar or so, still not really sure about the costume swapping, i kinda hope he has MK variations out of the 3 Avengers, but yeah very excited for this and love that he wants to show that Moon Knight can be *the* coolest street hero out there.
    is there a writer who sets out to show that the person they are writing about is the lamest street hero out there?
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    is there a writer who sets out to show that the person they are writing about is the lamest street hero out there?
    Didn't they do the Great Lakes Avengers right after the Civil War ("Misassembled") where the tease was a death with every issue?

I'm seriously looking forward to this. Scarlett, I'll wait on the trade--not a bad story and I'm willing to support it in one way or another. This mini however looks just awesome. I enjoyed the motion comic for Spider Woman, I think I'll really enjoy this. Glad to see Maya will be back in comics--I really liked what Mack created and it'll be good to see more of her.

ya know i was not going to buy this comic. Despite the fact that it has my favorite writer i was going to pass and i LOVE Moon Knight. But Bendis sold me, Love the stern reference when herd Howard say that about superman i was just yelling Finally some says it! But Moon Knight I will still be a regular reader Bendis rules!!!!!

I have loved Moon Night since first encountering him in Werewolf by Night back in the 70s. There have been highs, and lows since then (WCA was a high-point for me).

I am excited to have a new take without the baggage, but this is sounding waaaaay too high concept to me.

I will definitely be checking this out.

He doesn't have Multiple Personality Disorder, he literally created his personalities as aliases, nothing more. Just different names. That's it. Also, Marc doesn't need to be a producer to earn his money, when he already has all the money from mercenary work and playing the stock exchange. But, by all means, make stuff up. Please.

I'll just be far away.... not buying it.

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InnerVenom123 View Post
    He doesn't have Multiple Personality Disorder, he literally created his personalities as aliases, nothing more. Just different names. That's it. Also, Marc doesn't need to be a producer to earn his money, when he already has all the money from mercenary work and playing the stock exchange. But, by all means, make stuff up. Please.

Yeah.... I'm a little surprised that he picked out particular writers (easiest names?) because he doesn't seem to pay attention to what they've brought to the character.

I know you can't cater to the fanbase of a character that sells like a poor man's DD, but really, what's the point of calling it Moon Knight?

Well, it may not be a clinical definition of multiple personalities, but I think it's more than just "pretending" to be someone else. They are actual personalities within his psyche, as established during the Civil War registration, if I recall correctly (all three of him, so to speak, talked to a psychiatrist when Tony wanted him checked out... yes?).

It hardly matters with a character whose backstory is this convoluted. I've seen worse!!

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

The thing is that we've seen Bendis just get totally lazy when it came to writing a character with mental issues. Now we have Bendis saying that a guy that possibly hallucinated a god and seemingly believed himself to be the actual aliases he uses constantly also has this thing where he absorbs the personalities of already existing characters he hardly knows. Coincidentally members of the Sales Booster Club.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Kuwanger View Post
    The thing is that we've seen Bendis just get totally lazy when it came to writing a character with mental issues. Now we have Bendis saying that a guy that possibly hallucinated a god and seemingly believed himself to be the actual aliases he uses constantly also has this thing where he absorbs the personalities of already existing characters he hardly knows. Coincidentally members of the Sales Booster Club.
    I think that's the thing. Bendis has A LOT to prove in the first couple issues to get people to stop thinking it's something more than just milking those sales boosters. If Moon Knight wanted to mess with villains heads, I think it would be much better from a story standpoint to introduce new superheroes then after the first issue or so reveal Moon Knight as those heroes as well.

Veteran Member

If they really wanted to give Moon Knight a fresh start the smart thing to do would have been to go right back to the Werewolf by Night character or shortly thereafter. I agree that we've seen more than enough of the crazy MK at this point - so why give us yet another variation on the same thing? "He's crazy - but now he likes it! He has multiple personalities - and they're the personalities of popular Marvel heroes!"

I'm surprised Bendis seems to think this is a viable long-term direction for the character. It still feels like a one-off gimmick to me. But I'll still have a look at it.

LA now, NYC born & raised Ziza9's Avatar

I'm a huge Moon Knight fan, but I'll just have to sit this one out and enjoy re-reading my back-issues and picking up Sienkiewicz ones I don't own. Glad to hear Bendis loves the character too, but I'm just not feeling this.
    Child of the Bronze Age.
    My Con schedule: Wondercon, E3, SDCC

The Padre (Guy Padre) @ http://godhatesgeeks.com/

Just Sayin'

Great interview. Pretty cool he gets to build a new Marvel u setting in LA. Lots of great ideas & if its on DDs level, fine by me. Maleevs art looks great as always too. Wonder who the kingpins gonna be?
    Support titles that need supporting. Quit buying, reading and complaining about comics you don't enjoy.

Thats alright, at least i wont have to see comments like this from you in the first issue review thread.
    "I visited Latveria and all I got is a bunch of Doombot heads."

-Deadpool-
    Doomwar # 5