Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 47
  1. #1
    Mild-Mannered Reporter
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    28,819

    Default CBR: Liefeld Resurrects "Avengelyne"

    Rob Liefeld spoke with CBR about this summer's return of his fan-favorite character Avengelyne under the creative watch of writer Mark Poulton and artist Owen Gieni. Plus, [em]exclusive[/em] art from issue 2!


    Full article here.

  2. #2
    Non-fanboy C. Earl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, MO. U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,729

    Default

    I actually still have the original series of this somewhere in my collection--talk about something I thought I'd never see again...
    Always remember this stuff isn't real.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Ramage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,173

    Default

    Wow, the stuff we are recycling these days.
    David Bowie fan

  4. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default Geez

    Seems like someone needs a buck. Digging out these old characters that no one even thinks about. I'd say come back to Marvel or DC and write but even his guest turns have done nothing for me. I loved his Xforce back in the day (but I was young).

  5. #5
    Storyteller Pil's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    629

    Default

    Avengelyne is one of the few Liefeld things I never got around to trying. I might give it a shot.

    Instead of resurrecting Avengelyne, I'd rather see the rest of Brigade and some more Youngblood. I know he's waiting for Image United to continue, but Jim Valentino could continue ShadowHawk without ruining the story, so Liefeld should be able to do the same.
    Michael Pilgaard, fanboy at large
    WeirdSpace, a Multiverse Who's Who, since 2003
    American Comic Books, an index

  6. #6
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    629

    Default

    Avengelyne is far from being an original concept though. A hot chick fighting demonic creatures is a story concept done to death in tv, films, and comics. Why resurrect a tired concept? Besides, whatever happened to "the Infinite" with Kirkman? Did Liefeld abandon that already?

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Shouts View Post
    Besides, whatever happened to "the Infinite" with Kirkman? Did Liefeld abandon that already?
    You did read the article, no? He's involved in an advisory capacity--the same way an editor might be. He's not the writer or the artist. He's still working on The Infinite.

    I mean, the preview pages make it very, very clear that it's not his art. Did you just see the name "Liefeld" and come to criticize? I'm genuinely curious.

  8. #8
    The Dark Knight Returns DonC's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    The Cleve
    Posts
    13,772

    Default

    Eh, the only thing interesting about the first series was Cathy Christian.
    Free your soul and let it fly....

  9. #9
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shanealt View Post
    You did read the article, no?
    No.
    He's involved in an advisory capacity--the same way an editor might be.
    Why would somebody give him that job? He can't even keep up with his own damn comics.
    He's not the writer or the artist. He's still working on The Infinite.
    Still working on the Infinite, huh? I guess it takes alotta time just drawing the huge guns and the hundreds of pouches alone.
    I mean, the preview pages make it very, very clear that it's not his art.
    That's the reason why I didn't read the article. Looking at Liefeld's art is almost as bad as looking directly at the Sun. Thanks for the heads up. I'll peep the article now.
    Did you just see the name "Liefeld" and come to criticize? I'm genuinely curious.
    Yes, I saw the name Liefeld and came to criticize.

  10. #10
    Chicks Dig Me!
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Shouts View Post
    Why would somebody give him that job? He can't even keep up with his own damn comics.
    You are making yourself look more ridiculous with every post. HE gave HIMSELF that job because HE OWNS AVENGELYNE! HE hired the artist & the writer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Shouts View Post
    Still working on the Infinite, huh? I guess it takes alotta time just drawing the huge guns and the hundreds of pouches alone.
    When the Infinite was announce on this very site, both Kirkman and Liefeld said issue 1 would ship in August. Nothing has changed. rob is currently working on:

    1 - the Infinite
    2 - X-Force limited series with Duane Swierynski (sp?)
    3 - Youngblood #75
    4 - unnamed project from unnamed publisher
    5 - handling plotlines and advisory position on Avengelyne

    He proved last year that he can hit a deadline, by having like 14 comics in a 13 month period (something like that).

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Shouts View Post
    That's the reason why I didn't read the article. Looking at Liefeld's art is almost as bad as looking directly at the Sun.
    If you really feel that strongly against Rob's art, then the preview pic with the story announcement should have been easily recognizable to you as not Rob.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Shouts View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll peep the article now.
    why?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Shouts View Post
    Yes, I saw the name Liefeld and came to criticize.
    Oh, that's why. well, you failed.
    Last edited by Sharcque; 04-25-2011 at 02:57 PM.

  11. #11
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharcque View Post
    You are making yourself look more ridiculous with every post. HE gave HIMSELF that job because HE OWNS AVENGELYNE! HE hired the artist & the writer.
    Well, I hope the writer and the artist didn't quit their day job. Cuz if they're hoping Liefeld will stick with this one then all they need to do is look at his past history and know his work ethic is garbage (to put it mildly).


    When the Infinite was announce on this very site, both Kirkman and Liefeld said issue 1 would ship in August. Nothing has changed. rob is currently working on:

    1 - the Infinite
    2 - X-Force limited series with Duane Swierynski (sp?)
    3 - Youngblood #75
    4 - unnamed project from unnamed publisher
    5 - handling plotlines and advisory position on Avengelyne

    He proved last year that he can hit a deadline, by having like 14 comics in a 13 month period (something like that).
    1. Yeah, I saw the previews for that. I don't think many people are gonna be buying it. Sorry. Even diehard Kirkman fans said they weren't gonna pick it up.
    2. I can't find anything about a limited series with Duane Sweidnrhezki. Where is the evidence to this?
    3. Is this another relaunch? Cuz I can't find anything that says this issue exists.
    4. Yeah, we can assume that doesn't exist either.
    5. Advisory position? Like how many pouches to draw on Avengelyne? How to swipe other people's work and evade legal issues? An advisory position like that?

    Can you give me more info on these "like 14 comics in a 13 month period (or something like that)"? That comment is quite vague.
    If you really feel that strongly against Rob's art, then the preview pic with the story announcement should have been easily recognizable to you as not Rob.
    I already said I didn't read the article before criticizing.


    why?
    I'll peep the article because now I know my retinas won't singe because it's not Rob's art.


    Oh, that's why. well, you failed.
    Oh, I failed, huh? Tell me two things: one, why did you call yourself Sharque? Is it more chic to put a que instead of a k? two, why did you list all that stuff, but I can't find any evidence of those five things existing (aside from Infinite and Avengelyne, I mean)?

  12. #12

    Default

    Why would somebody give him that job? He can't even keep up with his own damn comics.
    Firstly, I don't know if he's actually the editor or not--you'd have to check the credits for that. But given that it's his property, nobody has to give him any job in regards to it. He has the right to reject or approve any pitch sent his way, the same way Marvel or DC do with the characters they own.

    Secondly, he's proven himself in recent years to hit his deadlines, more than many of the big creators these days, in fact.

    Still working on the Infinite, huh? I guess it takes alotta time just drawing the huge guns and the hundreds of pouches alone.
    Yes, he's still working on the series that was recently announced, what's your point? To be a cliche?

    Can you give me more info on these "like 14 comics in a 13 month period (or something like that)"? That comment is quite vague.
    Youngblood 9 was July 2009.

    He had art in Image United 1-3, released November 2009, December 2009 and August 2010. He did the layouts for the first issue, as well. It's been well-established that the delays are primarily due to Todd McFarlane.

    Deadpool Corps 1-5, 7-9, released from June 2010 to February 2011.

    He had a story in Deadpool 900, released December 2009.

    He had art in at least one issue of Deadpool: Merc with a Mouth, shortly before Deadpool Corps launched.

    He also had an issue of the Prelude to Deadpool Corps miniseries.

    He's also been involved as a creator in Brigade and Avengelyne.

    He's contributed many covers to the aforementioned titles and others.

    And I'm probably missing some things, too.
    Last edited by shanealt; 04-25-2011 at 04:10 PM.

  13. #13
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Shouts View Post
    Avengelyne is far from being an original concept though. A hot chick fighting demonic creatures is a story concept done to death in tv, films, and comics. Why resurrect a tired concept? Besides, whatever happened to "the Infinite" with Kirkman? Did Liefeld abandon that already?
    I can't believe there's still the so-called Liefeld "hater" that has to stir up the pot on boards, etc. Do you honestly get off on this?

    I find it sad.

    Sad that you really have NOTHING ELSE going on in your life that you return (I assume that you've been on the hate wagon for quite some time now) to the same places, again and again, and spew your speech. Your "oh-so-clever" tirade against Rob.
    Sad that you have chosen a talented artist (and one hell of a nice guy) to aim your hate at, and at the same time, bring the rest of the proceedings down with your negativity.
    Sad that you rag on "sharque" for his username, coming from someone calling himself "Dr. Shouts". WTF. But that's another useless argument, so whatever.

    "The Infinite" is happening. It's well on track. A regular reader of CBR would know that.

    If the story is Liefeld related, and you HAVE TO TELL EVERYONE how much you don't like it, don't like him, whatEVER....

    .......why are you here?
    Honestly, why are you here?

    I will bet you any dollar amount that you have Rob comics in your collection. I would be 99% certain of it, but HEAVEN forbid that anyone else in cyberspace find THAT out, eh? Your cover's blown! Oh, the horror!

    You got the choice- don't like it, don't read it, don't be here. Don't bother everyone else with your hate/spite/whatever.
    It's old. Move the hell on, man.

  14. #14
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    629

    Default

    shanealt, thanks for the info. I didn't know he did all that. Although, it might not be that much. However, you have to realize the Infinite and Avengelyne are both Rob's work. The works you posted were by and large freelance. As Rob attested, he doesn't put nearly as much effort into his own work. So I wouldn't expect any miracles with Infinite and Avengelyne if I were you.
    Quote Originally Posted by wikiquote
    Liefeld has become known for producing late books, primarily his creator-owned ones,[8][26] though somewhat less so when doing work-for-hire.[1] Some issues of his series Youngblood shipped as much as nine months late. Liefeld has attributed this to the greater incentive a freelancer feels when doing work-for-hire assignments for a company, as opposed to working on one's self-owned work.[23]
    venkman007, I'm glad you took the time out from your busy schedule of commenting on the imageboards to criticize me. It's strange how your posts makes it seems as if we've tangled before when it comes to Liefeld, but we haven't. Where did you get that idea? Maybe because there are thousands of fanboys who hate Liefeld's work that you forgot who you've tangled with. Hell, I'm sure there's more anti-Liefeld fanboys than pro-Liefeld fanboys. And it's not without good reason. He's earned the hate: the crappy art, the late work, the overrated popularity, etc. all make Liefeld a target. Of course, he's a nice guy. It's the only way he could keep fans. Do you think if he was an asshole in addition to being a crappy artist with a poor work ethic that he'd have fans? No. So he keeps being nice to keep the few fans he has left.

    venkman, yer opinion can be greatly appreciated on the indie board on cbr. I don't see why you don't normally post here? Why do you lurk but not post?

  15. #15
    Chicks Dig Me!
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Shouts View Post
    Well, I hope the writer and the artist didn't quit their day job. Cuz if they're hoping Liefeld will stick with this one then all they need to do is look at his past history and know his work ethic is garbage (to put it mildly).
    They are both personal friends of Rob's. And regardless of what Shane already proved to you (thanks, Shane) regarding Rob's recent output, what does Rob's work ethic have to do with these 2 guys making a comic?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Shouts View Post
    ]1. Yeah, I saw the previews for that. I don't think many people are gonna be buying it. Sorry. Even diehard Kirkman fans said they weren't gonna pick it up.
    Not gonna argue over speculation. It's dumb.


    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Shouts View Post
    2. I can't find anything about a limited series with Duane Sweidnrhezki. Where is the evidence to this?
    They both tweet about it, and rob has posted about it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Shouts View Post
    3. Is this another relaunch? Cuz I can't find anything that says this issue exists.
    See above answer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Shouts View Post
    4. Yeah, we can assume that doesn't exist either.
    You'll be proven very wrong here. He has hinted quite a bit that he has a DC gig coming up.


    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Shouts View Post
    5. Advisory position? Like how many pouches to draw on Avengelyne? How to swipe other people's work and evade legal issues? An advisory position like that?
    He owns the character, he approves the story. It's as simple as that. And what legal issues are you talking about?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Shouts View Post
    Can you give me more info on these "like 14 comics in a 13 month period (or something like that)"? That comment is quite vague.
    No need to, Shane took care of that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Shouts View Post
    I already said I didn't read the article before criticizing.
    And how'd that work out for ya?

    [
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Shouts View Post
    I'll peep the article because now I know my retinas won't singe because it's not Rob's art.
    wow - you told me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Shouts View Post
    Oh, I failed, huh? Tell me two things: one, why did you call yourself Sharque? Is it more chic to put a que instead of a k? two, why did you list all that stuff, but I can't find any evidence of those five things existing (aside from Infinite and Avengelyne, I mean)?
    I registered here way back when it was the cool thing to use a pseudo nick for usernames. I used to post as Sharky dating back to the 90s on message boards. That name was taken, so I used a variant of it of my own making. People here know my real name, as i use it in a lot of other places with more recent registeries: Terry.

    As far as Rob's coming work goes...I know about it because I follow comics all over the internet.
    Last edited by Sharcque; 04-25-2011 at 04:57 PM. Reason: b/c my joke wasn't funny - lol

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •