Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I want to go to the Black City. Anything else would be a disappointment.
    I'm autistic. What's your excuse?

AKA Muffin, Rear Admiral Nerdcock...

Y'know that thing I said that got you offended? I was just joking.

The Black City? What on earth for?

Odds are it only exists because people have been told it exists and thus have dreamed it into being.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    The Black City? What on earth for?

Odds are it only exists because people have been told it exists and thus have dreamed it into being.
    Because it is the greatest of the series' mysteries, and after adding nothing to the universe's mythology in DA2, they bloody well owe us something new. Varric's line about being tired of hearing about Templars and mages in the final act? That was me 12 hours of gameplay earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared H. View Post
    Because it is the greatest of the series' mysteries.
    I think that the long and the short of it is that the Chantry made it up. Wherever Darkspawn come from, it's not mages going into the White City.

We probably got a much better glimpse at the origin of Darkspawn in Dragon Age II, in the primordial thaig.
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

I don't know about that. The presentation of that information didn't seem to be intentionally ambiguous, or the narrator unreliable.

If nothing else, the stuff about the Old Gods is clearly true.
    Expletive Deleted

I think that the long and the short of it is that the Chantry made it up. Wherever Darkspawn come from, it's not mages going into the White City.

We probably got a much better glimpse at the origin of Darkspawn in Dragon Age II, in the primordial thaig.
    See, I thought the Primordial Thaig in 2 was a huge tease. Here I'm thinking "ohhh, maybe we can see a pre-infected Old God and maybe even see it become an Archfiend!" and instead we got a lyrium macguffin. Yawn.

See, I would think all the information about the Black City points to it being true.

We know that the Darkspawn are twisted versions of other species, so it make sense that it began with the corruption of powerful mages. We also know there is a Maker and Andraste, since Andraste's ashes actually worked in the first game.

About that, I lied. The Transient Guest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tjarvis View Post
    See, I would think all the information about the Black City points to it being true.

We know that the Darkspawn are twisted versions of other species, so it make sense that it began with the corruption of powerful mages. We also know there is a Maker and Andraste, since Andraste's ashes actually worked in the first game.
    Devils Advocate: If Andraste had been as powerful a mage as the legends ( and fan theory ) then it's entirely possible that her ashes had mystic powers because Andraste seriously over leveled back in the pre-patch days.

Making the "original" Darkspawn an unknown race of corrupted old mages.....I will admit that has a certain ring to it. Would also bring the whole "mages are the bad guys no matter what the story says" thing full circle.

Honestly did anyone else get tired of the fact that every single mage you met in DA2 turned blood mage / demon possessed / asshat on you? I remember one part I was like "oh look, a 12 year old girl, surely I can save her."

Then she turned herself into an abomination and I killed her.
    Siriel:
    Transient just likes to do that.

Why he keeps picking up ridiculous arguments and then try to defend them, I will never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post
    I don't know about that. The presentation of that information didn't seem to be intentionally ambiguous, or the narrator unreliable.
    The entire Chantry and their hole Chant of Light are unreliable.
    Plus, considering that all we know is what the Chantry told us, and that it happened ages before there even was a Chantry, what we know is unreliable.

It'd be interesting to see what Tevinter magister theories on the Darkspawn origins.

Andraste was most likely an abomination like Anders/Justice.

As for the Darkspawn being a mutated version of the other races... Meredith looked pretty damn mutated. And there is the song Bartrand heared, similar to what all Darkspawn hear.
    Also, there is where Darkspawn live: underground.

Darkspawn originated deep underground, not in pseudo-heaven.

The Arishok pretty much flat-out said that the Qunari would come as conquerors soon.

The Arishok being the only important character in Dragon Age 2 to not lie at all, I'm willing to take his word for it. So that'll almost definitely be in DA3.
    Suffering is a fact of life. You survive if you find a reason to endure it.

I hope we finally get to see Tevinter in DA 3. Sounds like a very interesting place.

Big events in the DA verse that will likely be the basis for the game:

Mages vs Chantry: HAS to play a big part of DA3, the aftermath of DA2 had this conflict basically spread across all Thedas, all the circles were revolting, the Templars had succeeded from the Chantry, short of a long time skip this is the likeliest big event to place the game around

Elves vs Humans: Always an ongoing conflict, has potential though as of the end of DA2 is didn't seem to be at a boiling point

Tevinter vs Qunari: Short of the game taking place actually in Tevinter I dont see this as being the focus, as that conflict seemed to be at the same stalemate it'd had been in for years as of DA2.

Orlais vs Just about everyone else: Has potential, as per the conversation with Alastair in DA2 we know that Empress Celene was having to fend off unrest among the Empire, that has good potential for a game imo.

Darkspawn et all: As with DA2 will likely not have any major involvement outside the Deep Roads, still likely centuries away from the next Blight.
    "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die." -Mel Brooks
    OIF 08-09
    OEF 10-11
    Do it yourself tech support link

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    The Arishok pretty much flat-out said that the Qunari would come as conquerors soon.

The Arishok being the only important character in Dragon Age 2 to not lie at all, I'm willing to take his word for it. So that'll almost definitely be in DA3.
    The Arishok was by far the best thing about Dragon Age II imo.

I'd like to visit Kal-Sharok, that other dwarven city that survived. Only if it plays a good role in the story though.

Quote Originally Posted by FalconX2000 View Post
    The Arishok was by far the best thing about Dragon Age II imo.
    As far as characters go, I agree, the guy had crazy good dialogue.
    Also, it was nice to see a boss that gives you some respect, if you're dueling him. (Anyone who summons the dog during that duel is an unforgivable coward, by the way.)

"You alone are Basalit-an. This is what respect looks like bas!. Some of you will never earn it!"

"You are the best. Therefore you are the example."

I ended up having a good laugh during the fight against him. (Even if the rest of the fight was me running away like crazy while waiting for cooldowns to refresh.)

Me: "Finally, someone else who realizes that potions can be used!"
    Suffering is a fact of life. You survive if you find a reason to endure it.

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    As far as characters go, I agree, the guy had crazy good dialogue.
    Also, it was nice to see a boss that gives you some respect, if you're dueling him. (Anyone who summons the dog during that duel is an unforgivable coward, by the way.)

"You alone are Basalit-an. This is what respect looks like bas!. Some of you will never earn it!"

"You are the best. Therefore you are the example."

I ended up having a good laugh during the fight against him. (Even if the rest of the fight was me running away like crazy while waiting for cooldowns to refresh.)

Me: "Finally, someone else who realizes that potions can be used!"
    Though I must admit they would probably do better not charging into battle half naked.