Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default Does Batman still carry an anti-Superman Kryptonite ring?

Until the Earth-Two Superman destroyed it in INFINITE CRISIS, Batman carried a Kryptonite ring at all times as insurance in case a Kryptonian (most likely, Superman) ever went rogue.

Kryptonite is difficult to come by, even for someone of Batman's resources, but even if Batman could procure more Kryptonite for another ring...would he carry one these days? Before INFINITE CRISIS, Batman (Bruce Wayne) was in the depths of his paranoid phase, but he (and his relationship with Superman) has evolved since that time. Does Batman still feel the need to carry a Kryptonite ring around in his utility belt these days?

I'm pretty certain that the newer Batman (Dick Grayson) doesn't feel a need to carry one: it's not the way that Dick works, and his relationship with Clark has always been better than Bruce's.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    The comic book industry/medium is paradoxically the most fragile and most resilient thing in the world. Its noisiest critics insist every day that every cough, sputter, or dirty look threatens to destroy it, but it has survived every prediction of its demise for nearly eight decades.

Bruce still has plently of kryptonite, The Search for Kryptonite arc of Superman/Batamn ends with the reader seeing that Bruce still has an enitre cache of different kryptonite types. I don't know if he carries it around 24-7 but I think it is perfectly fine to have kryptonite, considerig all the times villains have tried to control Superman.

I hate to bring it up, but there is a good chance that Dick has some green Kryptonite lying around. If you go back to the Outsiders Year 1 issues when Dick was leading the team, Superman confronted him about removing some dictator from power, and we learn that Dick did in fact have a stash of green Kryptonite. Whether he still has it or not I can't say, but we do know that he did have it at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by Theozilla View Post
    Bruce still has plently of kryptonite, The Search for Kryptonite arc of Superman/Batamn ends with the reader seeing that Bruce still has an enitre cache of different kryptonite types. I don't know if he carries it around 24-7 but I think it is perfectly fine to have kryptonite, considerig all the times villains have tried to control Superman.
    That story is out of continuity. He doesn't have chunks of it in the cave. In "Infinite Crisis", Bruce's ring is destroyed by Kal-L when he tries to use it on him. In "The Third Kryptonian", Clark mentions that Bruce doesn't have the ring anymore and that he knows that he's working on alternatives to stopping him and Kara. This is when Bruce tells him about how red solar radiation really works on him and they create the watch for Chris to wear. In "Thy Kingdom Come", Bruce looks at a Kryptonite ring that he has in the cave, after learning about the arrival of Kal-El from Earth-22. But beyond that, Bruce has not used it. Neither Dick, nor Tim had one on them when they confronted Commander Gor and his men, when they broke Toyman out of Arkham. Incidently, Bruce had Lex's gauntlet which has multiple colored Kryptonite gems. But Booster Gold took off with it to help Rip Hunter upgrade the Phantom Zone projector. I don't think it was ever returned when they were done with it.

Steel, on the other hand, has synthetic Kryptonite built into his gauntlet that he used during the assault on Kandor in "New Krypton".

As to Bruce carrying it 24-7, that only started with "Sacrfice". Before then, Bruce kept it in a lead box in the cave, amongest the other trophies. See Superman Annual #3, Superman: The Man Of Steel #21 and Superman #126.

Bruce apparently does have kryptonite weapons 'cuz Dick mentions them in the last issue of JLA because Supergirl has gone all emo and he might need to take her down.
    "John Stewart. LAME! ...this guy having a ring is like giving the batmobile to a blind old woman with her left leg in a cast."

"Pym biting Blobs head off seems like something that would have happened when i was ten years old and playing with action figures."

"i always assumed that [the blob] had the same powers as his 616 counterpart because, if simply being a huge fat guy was enough to be considered a mutant then there sure are a lot of mutants in 'real life'. "

SHOW ME YOUR THUMBS!! BohemiaDrinker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Until the Earth-Two Superman destroyed it in INFINITE CRISIS, Batman carried a Kryptonite ring at all times as insurance in case a Kryptonian (most likely, Superman) ever went rogue.
    i don`t believe he carried the ring "at all times". I remember it being kept in a safe in the batcave. Tim actually used it against Conner, when he was being controlled (I think) by Poison Ivy in what I believe was their first encounter.

In Tower of Babel...Bruce created synthetic Kryptonite... He can always make more if he needs to....

Bruce has aleast much resources as Lex Luthor... He can aquire Kryptonite if he has too...
    All stories are imaginary, so you get to decide what's important and what isn't. Continuity is fluid.

-Jeff Brady

Quoted for truth....

Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    That story is out of continuity. He doesn't have chunks of it in the cave. In "Infinite Crisis", Bruce's ring is destroyed by Kal-L when he tries to use it on him. In "The Third Kryptonian", Clark mentions that Bruce doesn't have the ring anymore and that he knows that he's working on alternatives to stopping him and Kara. This is when Bruce tells him about how red solar radiation really works on him and they create the watch for Chris to wear. In "Thy Kingdom Come", Bruce looks at a Kryptonite ring that he has in the cave, after learning about the arrival of Kal-El from Earth-22. But beyond that, Bruce has not used it. Neither Dick, nor Tim had one on them when they confronted Commander Gor and his men, when they broke Toyman out of Arkham. Incidently, Bruce had Lex's gauntlet which has multiple colored Kryptonite gems. But Booster Gold took off with it to help Rip Hunter upgrade the Phantom Zone projector. I don't think it was ever returned when they were done with it.

Steel, on the other hand, has synthetic Kryptonite built into his gauntlet that he used during the assault on Kandor in "New Krypton".

As to Bruce carrying it 24-7, that only started with "Sacrfice". Before then, Bruce kept it in a lead box in the cave, amongest the other trophies. See Superman Annual #3, Superman: The Man Of Steel #21 and Superman #126.
    Really? I don't think so it was specifically set in current the DCU when it came out, i.e. it had appearances by Busiek's new Aquaman. I don't think there has been anything to to specifically contradict that storyline.

But my point was is that the DC can easily make Batman have kryptonite. Batman keeping back-up kryptonite (whether in his belt or cave) has become almost a staple for the character. Also it would stupid for Bruce to not to have any at all.

EDIT: Agree with dreyga2000, if DC want Batman to have kryptonite, he'll have kryptonite.

I'm pretty certain that the newer Batman (Dick Grayson) doesn't feel a need to carry one: it's not the way that Dick works, and his relationship with Clark has always been better than Bruce's.
    I don't think a strong friendship between Dick and Clark is any barrier to Dick carrying around a piece of kryptonite for emergencies. After all, Bruce didn't acquire the ring in the first place because of an intense distrust for Clark. On the contrary, after he had found Lex Luthor's old Kryptonite ring in an alley in Gotham (on a dead body), and later learned what that weird green glow meant, he voluntarily handed it over to Clark and left.

Speaking as a fan who bought the "Dark Knight Over Metropolis" story arc when it came out in the Superman titles in 1990, I recall that the reason Bruce started keeping that bit of Green K around for emergencies was that a bit later, at the very end of the arc, Superman flew into the Batcave and gave the ring right back to Bruce!

Superman said (loosely paraphrased from my memory): "Someone needs to be ready for the worst. I have vicious enemies. Some of them have tried to mind-control me before, and I live in fear of the day it will be completely successful and my invulnerable body will go on a killing spree."

Dick must be just as aware as Bruce was that the scenario of "Superman might be mind-controlled into becoming a nigh-unstoppable killing machine" is a serious possibility in the world they inhabit, regardless of how high an opinion Dick may have of Clark's moral fiber when the latter is "in his right mind." Heck, Max Lord once demonstrated just how bad a "Clark gone berserk" scenario would be.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lorendiac View Post
    I don't think a strong friendship between Dick and Clark is any barrier to Dick carrying around a piece of kryptonite for emergencies. After all, Bruce didn't acquire the ring in the first place because of an intense distrust for Clark. On the contrary, after he had found Lex Luthor's old Kryptonite ring in an alley in Gotham (on a dead body), and later learned what that weird green glow meant, he voluntarily handed it over to Clark and left.

Speaking as a fan who bought the "Dark Knight Over Metropolis" story arc when it came out in the Superman titles in 1990, I recall that the reason Bruce started keeping that bit of Green K around for emergencies was that a bit later, at the very end of the arc, Superman flew into the Batcave and gave the ring right back to Bruce!

Superman said (loosely paraphrased from my memory): "Someone needs to be ready for the worst. I have vicious enemies. Some of them have tried to mind-control me before, and I live in fear of the day it will be completely successful and my invulnerable body will go on a killing spree."

Dick must be just as aware as Bruce was that the scenario of "Superman might be mind-controlled into becoming a nigh-unstoppable killing machine" is a serious possibility in the world they inhabit, regardless of how high an opinion Dick may have of Clark's moral fiber when the latter is "in his right mind." Heck, Max Lord once demonstrated just how bad a "Clark gone berserk" scenario would be.
    This is true. Considering that both Bruce and Dick consider Clark a friend, however, I wonder why they haven't developed less lethal methods for subduing Kryptonians. Green Kryptonite kills Kryptonians, but red solar radiation will strip them of their superpowers without harming them.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    The comic book industry/medium is paradoxically the most fragile and most resilient thing in the world. Its noisiest critics insist every day that every cough, sputter, or dirty look threatens to destroy it, but it has survived every prediction of its demise for nearly eight decades.

Does superman knew that batman has many kyptron in secret cave ?

Bruce probably still has some K.

But Earth-2 Superman destroyed the K ring (created by Lex) given by Superman I believe. See Infinite Crisis.
    DC discarded their history, and now has none. DC will always be in the shadows of their past work.

This is true. Considering that both Bruce and Dick consider Clark a friend, however, I wonder why they haven't developed less lethal methods for subduing Kryptonians. Green Kryptonite kills Kryptonians, but red solar radiation will strip them of their superpowers without harming them.
    Well, the way I remember it from the late 80s and 90s, the "surround him with red solar radiation" approach was a slow way to wear Superman down. The idea was that Superman's Kryptonian body, when in an area saturated with yellow solar radiation (such as pretty much anywhere in our solar system), was a living solar battery. If his body was at "full charge" (as it usually seemed to be) and then he suddenly got trapped in a red solar environment (natural or artificial), then each time he used his super-strength (or flight, or whatever) his power level dropped a bit more . . . without his body being able to automatically "recharge" as he went along. But it could take quite awhile for him to get all the way down to "normal human levels."

I'm specifically remembering the way Dan Jurgens wrote it in the "Superman Vs. Aliens" miniseries." In that case, I think the nearest yellow dwarf star was probably light-years away; i.e. not doing Clark a lick of good! I'm not sure how easy it would be to "weaken" Superman with red solar radiation right here on the surface of the Earth, where yellow solar radiation is all over the place. (Even when he's standing on a part of Earth that's currently in the dark, with the sun well below the horizon, the necessary radiation seems to be "background radiation" or something -- since just fighting a long battle in nighttime conditions here on Earth doesn't seem to weaken Superman perceptibly. Otherwise, his worst enemies would have spotted the pattern ages ago and used it against him every time from then on!)

Granted, everything I just said is based on my understanding of how Clark's metabolism seemed to work in the 20 years or so after his Post-Crisis reboot. I know there's been tinkering with his origin story and various other details of his continuity in the last few years, but I haven't kept track of it. Possibly just shining red solar radiation on him now would reduce his strength to "normal human levels" in a matter of seconds, even though it definitely didn't work that way when Jurgens and others were writing him back in the "triangle years" of the 1990s?

Quote Originally Posted by Choppa View Post
    Bruce apparently does have kryptonite weapons 'cuz Dick mentions them in the last issue of JLA because Supergirl has gone all emo and he might need to take her down.
    Probably confiscated from 7734.

Quote Originally Posted by Theozilla
    Really? I don't think so it was specifically set in current the DCU when it came out, i.e. it had appearances by Busiek's new Aquaman. I don't think there has been anything to to specifically contradict that storyline.
    Just because it had characters who were in the books at the time, doesn't mean that it isn't out of continuity. But DC stated that the Superman/Batman title was out of continuity following Jeph Loeb's run, save for "Torment". It's only started being in continuity with Joe Casey's "Our Worlds At War" aftermath stories. But yes, the whole of Johnson and Green's run is out. Along with the Metal Men storyline that preceeded it and "The Enemies Among Us".

-In TSFK, Superman and Batman become aware of the government's intentions to deal with Superman should he go rouge, by creating the American Dream Doomsday. In WONK, Superman is unaware of 7734, much less that the government is out to get him and now his people.

-In TSFK, Metallo is a fugitive. In NK, Metallo has been working for 7734 since returning to Earth and was no longer carrying multiple pieces of Kryptonite.

-In TSFK, Amanda Waller was the mastermind behind the movement against Superman. In WONK, Waller's role was in getting Pete Ross to unknowingly sign a bill to fund 7734. It was all Lane's idea based on his hatred and distrust of Superman.

-In TSFK, Lana was mistrusting of Superman. Partially because of Grodd. In WONK, the subject of what she did was never brought up. She was no longer working at Lexcorp either.

But my point was is that the DC can easily make Batman have kryptonite. Batman keeping back-up kryptonite (whether in his belt or cave) has become almost a staple for the character. Also it would stupid for Bruce to not to have any at all.
    Bruce never had back up of Kryptonite other than that synthetic piece that he created in "Tower Of Babel". For years, all Bruce had was the one ring that Clark gave to him that had belonged to Lex. In Superman #126, Lex forces Superman to hand it over to the courts, so that it could be used in his upcoming trial. The Contessa switched the ring with a fake and gave it back to Superman, who returned it to Bruce by issue's end. It isn't until the two part crossover by Loeb and Brubaker that Bruce discovers the truth about the ring and sets up the elaborate hoax to get it back. Only the one ring was ever seen. The question of duplicates didn't come up until "Sacrifice" and "Infinite Crisis". In the former, the ring was clearly destroyed by Clark in his fight with Diana as penned by Rucka. Johns has the ring when he wrote the latter. According to Busiek at the time he wrote THK, the idea was to follow what was done in "Tower Of Babel", by creating non lethal means of stopping Superman.

Now, I'm not saying that Bruce couldn't get ahold of Kryptonite weapons. Just that he doesn't have the ring and apparently, that stash from TSK. At the time of "New Krypton", Bruce didn't have any weapons or spare rings. By the time of "Reign Of Doomsday", it seems that he does. Either Dick and Tim were unaware or as I suggested, it's confiscated from 7734.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorendiac

Dick had a Kryptonite rock on hand in the pages of the Outsiders, when Clark confronted him and the Outsiders about the actions that were taking. And later on, Dick was worried about Clark's mental health as seen in Superman #702. He was worried that he would have to take drastic steps against him. That's why Bruce went to talk to Clark in Superman #710 and even told him that Dick was a bit worried about how his confronting Clark would play out. Dick could do it if he had to, but it's hard for him to separate his feelings like that. Bruce, as we know with his protocols and Brother Eye, had no qualms about doing it.

Bewtween Dick in Outsiders: 1 Year Later and recent JLA and the Superman/Batman arc, I think the answer's clearly yes.

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    In Tower of Babel...Bruce created synthetic Kryptonite... He can always make more if he needs to....
    He didn't create it, he altered green k and made red k, doing something apparently similar to whatever happened en route to some of the k that arrived with Karas ship.
    Last edited by dupersuper; 04-26-2011 at 01:55 AM.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...