Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Just How Powerful is Popeye?

I've read a lot in this section about how powerful Popeye is, than he can punch people to the moon and has even manhandled PC Superman. I haven't seen a lot of his cartoons so I'm not really sure just how strong he is.

Is he really stronger than PC Superman?

About how much stronger does spinach make him (how strong is he without it)

What are his best strength feats?
    "If anyone has a long face at my funeral, I'll never speak to them again"

Vatican Assassin Warlock aut0matic's Avatar

it's mostly due to toonforcing. he breaks the fourth wall and that kinda stuff.

the demon king rules master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Von Doom View Post
    I've read a lot in this section about how powerful Popeye is, than he can punch people to the moon and has even manhandled PC Superman. I haven't seen a lot of his cartoons so I'm not really sure just how strong he is.

Is he really stronger than PC Superman?

About how much stronger does spinach make him?

What are his best strength feats?
    popeye was loosely based on a early dc character named captain strong, who at one point was able to physically man handle PC supes.

as for feats, after eating spinich:

was able to punch out ghost and have olive sew them into a sail.

punch back raw magic and hypnosis.

punch a cow so hard, it turns into a full rack of cut and cleaned meats.

breaks the 4th wall.

punch the moon in the eye for looking at olive.

killed, plucked, and cooked a giant vulture in under 5 seconds.

laugh off bullets, cannon fire, knives and anything else throwed at him.

came back from being totally erased from reality and solo'd the entire martian invasion force.

punch a grandfather clock into many smaller alarm clocks.

blow into his pipe hard enough that it can not only cut through steel but rocket him into the air like a jet plane.

popeye and his father fought a entire race of cave men so hard and furious, that the film broke, causing said cave men to fall into oblivion. he later pulled the strips back together with his bare hands.
    COCAINE IS MY GOD AND I AM THE LIVING INSTRUMENT OF ITS WILL!!
    snowflame, new guardians #2
    wanna make some quick cash?

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    popeye was loosely based on a early dc character named captain strong, who at one point was able to physically man handle PC supes.

breaks the 4th wall.

came back from being totally erased from reality and solo'd the entire martian invasion force.

blow into his pipe hard enough that it can not only cut through steel but rocket him into the air like a jet plane.

popeye and his father fought a entire race of cave men so hard and furious, that the film broke, causing said cave men to fall into oblivion. he later pulled the strips back together with his bare hands.
    Uh Captain Strong was based off of Popeye.

Popeye predates Supes by a few years (He's been called America's first Super Hero before.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    Uh Captain Strong was based off of Popeye.

Popeye predates Supes by a few years (He's been called America's first Super Hero before.)
    my bad. i was thinking of that scene of strong wrecking clark's shit in that phone booth.

oh and spinich gives popeye super speed and intellect since he could build cars, bridges and buildings in seconds. as well as know what ever he needs to know at the time: magic, hypnotism, dancing, engineering, cooking, etc.

also, he could ram into a speeding training full bore and totally destroy it.
    Last edited by master of read; 04-19-2011 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post

breaks the 4th wall.

Thanks for the feats, I knew Popeye was cartoonishly strong never knew he was THIS strong though lol.
    "If anyone has a long face at my funeral, I'll never speak to them again"

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Von Doom View Post
    Thanks for the feats, I knew Popeye was cartoonishly strong never knew he was THIS strong though lol.
    that's just the stuff off the top of my head.

the green stuff also gives popeye meta-morphic powers to turn parts or all of his body into tools or whatever he needs at the time: hammers, anvils, guns, brakes, jack hammers, etc.

he has also been able to chew solid steel like gum and spit out nails/rivets into steel beams hard enough and deep enough that it was like they were driven in with power tools.

a singer was singing on a radio once when popeye was trying to get sweet pea to sleep. he punched the radio and the force from his fist traveled along the air waves and power cords and hit the guy square in his face.

he's solo'd a jungle full of wild animals and punched them into racks of clothes for olive.

and i think he punched out music as well. you heard me. MUSIC!

Waiting for Gwens BND Winter Bolt's Avatar

We would joke in school on how damn fine Olive Oil was to have two handsome strong men fight over her constantly. Popeye is so much fun. Bluto is pretty good too but can't touch Popeye most of the time even when sober and off the green stuff.

Popeye Vs Anime
    pew pew pew

If you ask me, Popeye is ridiculously powerful with a long-running library of somewhat varying levels of deadly feats. For one, his punches literally warp reality to extreme levels of turning his foes into just about anything weak and harmless and even without his spinach, he has given the sun a black eye and pulled the grand canyon or something.

Although not everyone will agree with me on this, but depending on how far you want to take it, Popeye at his strongest and most plot device-fueled top of his game be somewhat high-tier nigh-omnipotent/cosmic level, if not actually around true omnipotent level (he's just that awesome!), but that's just me though with still a few very esoteric rules/limits pertaining to toonforce/rule of funny.

Going strictly by feats though, iirc from his listed feats, Popeye should cap off at universe+ busting levels from a short/episode where he caused a Big Bang and whatnot. I also heard he retconned all of the Fleischer-verse.
    Current Mood: Still Bored/Awkward
    Currently Playing: None (except for maybe my NES/SNES emulator occasionally)
    Madworld Respect Thread

About that, I lied. The Transient Guest's Avatar

One time a skinny, small, kinda girly little boy got beat up by a bigger kid. So he got sad. Then he went to the cinema and they were playing a Popeye cartoon. The little boy watched the cartoon......and Popeye felt bad for him. So he gave the little boy some of his spinach, which the small boy ate.

And then the kid went and killed the bigger kid.

...................Goddamn some of those old Popeye cartoons were weird.
    Siriel:
    Transient just likes to do that.

Why he keeps picking up ridiculous arguments and then try to defend them, I will never know.

Vatican Assassin Warlock aut0matic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Transient Guest View Post
    One time a skinny, small, kinda girly little boy got beat up by a bigger kid. So he got sad. Then he went to the cinema and they were playing a Popeye cartoon. The little boy watched the cartoon......and Popeye felt bad for him. So he gave the little boy some of his spinach, which the small boy ate.

which begs the question.... if popeye were to give the hulk some of his spinach, would the multiverse explode from hulk's breathing?

Quote Originally Posted by The Transient Guest View Post

Fleischer Studios at its finest!

Cruel and Unusual Sound Silence's Avatar

Popeye is an epic example of a single side-character coming to dominate an entire comic that had been already running for a decade before his first appearance.

I dont think Popeye is the first super hero but I am sure he is the first super human in american comics.
    I have see him fighting elephants and sharks and hundreds of Japanese soldiers though, all in one episode.

How powerful is Bluto? Obviously not as powerful as Spinach-amped Popeye, but does he have any impressive feats?