Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Montclare Assembles the "Fearsome Four"

CBR spoke with writer Brandon Montclare about his June miniseries, "Fear Itself: Fearsome Four," which sends Howard the Duck, She-Hulk, Nighthawk and Frankenstein's monster on a mission to save the Man-Thing.

Full article here.

The lava is plan B. BeastieRunner's Avatar

When does this drop?
    "Thus Spake Dr. Dinosaur, King of Time: Adios Morons!" -- Dr. Dinosaur

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    When does this drop?
    June I believe. Really looking forward to this.

As much as I love She-Hulk and Man-Thing, nothing could ever be enough to get me to buy a comic featuring Howard the Duck.

I'm going to buy this one based on the presence of Frankenstein's monster alone. I mean, sure, I like Man-Thing, She-Hulk and Howard. Nighthawk's okay too. But we don't get to see Marvel's version of Frankenstein much anymore.
    Story By Story- Story Circle of the Capital Region.

My own Youtube account, stories and public library use tips.

Releasing Johnny's torch Ravin' Ray's Avatar
    Where the diwatas and the Triumph Division call home

Quote Originally Posted by Infestor View Post
    As much as I love She-Hulk and Man-Thing, nothing could ever be enough to get me to buy a comic featuring Howard the Duck.
    The incongruity between Howard's comical appearance and his serious demeanor is what makes this, along with She-Hulk, a pull for me.
    Johnny Storm was dead; who is this resurrected Johnny Storm?
    "Here, hold my Annihilus…" Johnny Storm, Fantastic Four #601

The curious one.

Usually with marvel I root for the bad guy in just about any battle, but I like Howard and Jen together so I'll look at this.

Mark_S

Default CBR: Montclare Assembles the "Fearsome Four"

Well d@mn, just when I told myself I would not be sucked in to buying side Fear:Itself mini's, leave it to Marvel to put out a mini series to change my mind, a mini with Man Thing, Howard the Duck (not happy about Marvel characters not smoking, Howard the Duck without a cohiba, is like certs without the retcin ), She Hulk (Jennifer Walters), and Frankenstein's Monster, and Simon Bisely doing interior artwork. I'm sold.

Just Sayin'

Damn, this looks like all kinds of awesome. Not familiar with Montclare but the ideas going on here and the artists are great.
    Support titles that need supporting. Quit buying, reading and complaining about comics you don't enjoy.

Bodenheim!

I love Steve Gerber and I hope this series will bring some of that magic. Gerber remains the defining writer on Man-Thing and created Howard. He wrote Nighthawk in Defenders and later She-Hulk in the 80s. And while he never wrote Frankenstein monster he was famous for writing monsters such as the Living Mummy and Simon Garth the Zombie.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Leocomix View Post
    I love Steve Gerber and I hope this series will bring some of that magic. Gerber remains the defining writer on Man-Thing and created Howard. He wrote Nighthawk in Defenders and later She-Hulk in the 80s. And while he never wrote Frankenstein monster he was famous for writing monsters such as the Living Mummy and Simon Garth the Zombie.
    We're given an article here about a series in which Howard the Duck, Man-Thing, and the Nexus of Realites all play significant roles and not a mention of Gerber by either the journalist or the writer of the miniseries. Good job CBR.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    When a huge event promises to change the status quo of everything and everyone, it begs the question of how deep Marvel is going to go with that. That can be a compelling inquiry. All readers want to know how it affects Captain America and Thor, but the Marvel Universe is a big place and hopefully many readers will want to see it truly touch upon the darkest and farthest corners.

On that note, I want to see how "Fear Itself" touches upon the Straw Man of the Fear Lords.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Infestor View Post
    Whereas for me it's, 'Not only do I hate She-Hulk and characters of that ilk, but in addition nothing could ever be enough to get me to buy a comic featuring Howard the Duck that wasn't written by Steve Gerber.'

I'm surprised to read the comments that people are excited for this. I've actually met Brandon Montclare and he is a really nice guy, but this just sounds incredibly lame. And I agree that it was a huge miss by both CBR and Montclare to not mention Steve Gerber even in passing.

If they charge $2.99, maybe I will pick up the first issue to support Montclare in his writing. But I'm sure they will $3.99, in which case I will certainly pass, and just pick it up in a couple of years when it lands in the 50 cent bins.