Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default The Editor's Job

It seems that some of you guys think that the primary purpose of the Editor is to be a continuity cop. That's one aspect of it, and it's certainly noticeable if there's a continuity based error (IE- a writer depicted Curt Connors as getting his bachelors from Harvard, while a Marvel Team-Up issue clearly established that he was an Undergrad in Cornell.)

But it seems worth discussing what comic book editors do, and what we think that comic book editors do (which may be slightly different). Editing comics is a somewhat thankless job, and the fans are going to notice mistakes rather than what actually works. We'll pay a disproportionate amount of attention to a book that ships a month late with multiple artists and a glaring continuity error.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

In Nerd Dollars, $3.99 is equivalent to $399. And that's how much the new limited-edition Doctor Who diorama costs. Therefore, I will not have my precious time wasted on continuity errors when it could be better spent tracking down a replica of the scarf Tom Baker wore as the fourth Doctor.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

The editor's job is to edit.
    And make sure everything makes sense.

In conclusion, the editor edits.

Editors are there to be blamed for things the fans don't like.
    Highly Evolved Creature Totally Orientated on Revenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    The editor's job is to edit.
    And make sure everything makes sense.

In conclusion, the editor edits.
    So you're saying that making sure that the artist and writer are working at the right pace isn't part of the Editor's job description?

And neither is putting together the creative teams in the first place?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

I thought editors were there to get paid more than the actual creative staff and hog all the glory when the comic becomes popular.

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    So you're saying that making sure that the artist and writer are working at the right pace isn't part of the Editor's job description?
    What is this "right pace?"
    Arent there deadlines they have to meet so the comic can reach a store in time.

I thought writers pitch their stories and they just say coolies or noolies.
    Maybe they bring artists in but for the high profile titles pretty much have the same artist just bounce around like playing musical chairs.

Or maybe that's the job of the Executive Producer/Producer/Production i keep seeing in the credits of comics.

And what does the Assistant/Associate/Executive Editor do?

Each comic seems to have it's own unique sets of credits which is probably why people dont really fully know what certain jobs are or do in Marvel Comics.

What I think they do is to look for internal problems with an issue. This could include trivial things like spelling errors or larger things like references to other source material. They also walk into the creative team's offices once in a while and crack the whip.
    Perfect humility dispenses with modesty.

I think the editor also -- and, really, most importantly -- keeps an ear to the ground for trends, and acts as someone for the writer to bounce ideas off of. He or she needs good instincts, perhaps be familiar with the fans, past, present and future, knows what to give them, how much and when.

And he or she has to be licensed to operate a firearm.

Just in case.

-Theophilus

That's most of it. Having worked as an editor, something like 60-70 percent of the job is time management. Just making sure everything is in the right place at the right time.
    The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

If only there were someone with firsthand experience who posts here that could tell us...
    Every week, I write about the science in comic books and what it says about our real world!
    Check it out, if you'd like!

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    If only there were someone with firsthand experience who posts here that could tell us...
    HIM.........? He's not an editor, he's a ruiner of lives!!!

It seems that some of you guys think that the primary purpose of the Editor is to be a continuity cop. That's one aspect of it, and it's certainly noticeable if there's a continuity based error (IE- a writer depicted Curt Connors as getting his bachelors from Harvard, while a Marvel Team-Up issue clearly established that he was an Undergrad in Cornell.)
    Is mistaking the school that Curt Conners received his Bachelor's from really that big of a continuity glitch, though? Who would care?

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    Is mistaking the school that Curt Conners received his Bachelor's from really that big of a continuity glitch, though? Who would care?
    I would call that a minor glitch, easily forgivable.

I do consider avoiding major glitches to be part of the job description.

Pointing out to a writer for example that the last time we saw a character, he was dead.
    formerly coke & comics

Sleepwalker is Sandman done right. ~Tadhg

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    I gave it as a possible example because it's something that's rather inconsequential.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?