Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Tokyopop Closes U.S. Publishing

After months of hardships and changes, the former giant of manga publishing will cease all operations in the U.S. leaving only a Germany-based licensing division and its film division.

Full article here.

I can't say my heart bleeds, considering some of the crap this company has pulled, but I'm sorry to see a manga publisher go.

I'm assuming the current books they're publishing will just stop, and no new licences will begin? Or not?

I'm sad to see these guys go, SGT. Frog, Rave Master, and Fruits Basket were excellent. I hope the licenses get picked up again.
    "but the 616 is set in America."

- Rotm

It's in the "Stick A Fork In It, It's Done" phase.
    Always remember this stuff isn't real.

BANNED

Unfair contracts yes.

Three paragraphs down from that it mentions how they will "try and gain traction in Hollywood for the properties Tokyopop owns..."

Which basically means they will take the ideas they have raped from creators and see if they can't make a buck or two from their thievery.

After years of ruining and "americanizing" manga properties, Tokyopop is finally put out of our misery.

Can Kodansha start publishing their own products in the US now?

So much for manga being so popular and selling $$$ ton$ of $$$. Not that I'm rejoycing. Just that I never believed it to be true. Maybe this means comics are just not as popular anymore no matter what.

Can't say I am surprised. I wonder if they could still publish English translations out of Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrider View Post
    Can Kodansha start publishing their own products in the US now?
    They already are.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina_Fried View Post
    Can't say I am surprised. I wonder if they could still publish English translations out of Germany.
    Theoretically yes but I'm not sure if that would make that much sense. Okay, yeah, they only would have to send the data to the printers and have the manga shipped to Diamond, the book chains and whatever but without anybody overseeing the American market by being there? Could be difficult and the German branch doesn't have THAT much staff right now but maybe they start hiring the next few weeks/months because of something like this.
    Klatuu... barada *cough* *cough*

|| [comiccover.de] || [marvelarchiv.de] || [comicshop.de] ||

"You can make me bleed
    You can make me cry
    You can make me fall
    You can make me live or die
    And I wonder how
    And you wonder why
    "
    www.tristania.com

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MartinRedmond View Post
    So much for manga being so popular and selling $$$ ton$ of $$$. Not that I'm rejoycing. Just that I never believed it to be true. Maybe this means comics are just not as popular anymore no matter what.
    The thing about manga is that they also have animes. In the West, you generally have to buy the animes if you wanna see them. In Japan, they mainly come on TV, so buying them isn't as necessary. As a result, a manga lover in the West finds himself having to shell out cash not only for the graphic novel, but for the expensive anime too. So a manga-fan's comic money goes to both manga and anime, which decreases the manga sales. But a U.S. comic reader's money only goes to the comic, which doesn't affect sales.

You're last statement is true as well. Many people don't wanna believe you though.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinRedmond View Post
    No, it means that Tokyopop were savvy enough to buy a bunch of licenses to top manga properties when they were going cheap because nobody realised just how big the potential market was and that the Japanese companies that owned the rights eventually wised up so they let the contracts with Tokyopop lapse and started publishing the stuff themselves or negotiated better deals with other companies.
    Visit the Ace Comics & Games Digital shopfront:
    http://www.acecomics.comicretailer.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Isaacs View Post
    They already are.
    About time. Someone get them on the phone and have them re-release the ENTIRETY of Beck with proper character/guitar names.

That series is too good to simply stop at vol 13.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrider View Post
    About time. Someone get them on the phone and have them re-release the ENTIRETY of Beck with proper character/guitar names.

That series is too good to simply stop at vol 13.
    Hopefully someone can pick up Getbackers and King of Hell as well.

The only reason I am upset is that I just read that the series King City (Brandon Graham) was supposed to be reprinted but now I guess not... crap. :(

Quote Originally Posted by EnderWiggin View Post
    The only reason I am upset is that I just read that the series King City (Brandon Graham) was supposed to be reprinted but now I guess not... crap. :(
    As a trade or what excactly?
    Because it was completed as a 12-issue magazine series by Image last year.
    Klatuu... barada *cough* *cough*

|| [comiccover.de] || [marvelarchiv.de] || [comicshop.de] ||

"You can make me bleed
    You can make me cry
    You can make me fall
    You can make me live or die
    And I wonder how
    And you wonder why
    "
    www.tristania.com