Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Default Neil Diamond suing Bojangles !

http://www.variety.com/review/VE11179446654?refCatId=34

Variety

Posted: Tuesday 12th 2011, 3:16pm PT

Music Artist to sue Bojangles Restaurant.

Writer - Bill Robinson

Music legend Neil Diamond is taking aim at the Charlotte , NC business Bojangles Famous Chicken & Biscuits chain. The singer/songwriter filed a suit against the chain claiming the name infringes on the song title of "Mr. Bojangles".

Even though the song was written by country music artist , Jerry Jeff Walker in 1968 , Diamond bought the music publishing rights to that song in the 1970's.

"Neil has pushed for them to change the name of the business since the early 1990's. But they kept saying they would get in touch. Once we realized they were going to grow to a projected 1,000 restaurants by 2020 , he realized he had to move." the source close to Diamond claims.

The suit claims Bojangles which opened in 1977 is using a name that draws hints to the song . A Bojangles representative had this to say regarding the suit:

"This is a frivolous lawsuit at its best. What possible reason could a restraunt chain be confused with a song ?"

Either way Diamond intends to sue . When told of the lawsuit one lawyer joked , "Maybe they should change the name to Chicken & Biscuits and avoid this suit by Diamond."
    "Mr....Boooojangles.....Mr. Boooojangles...." I always loved that song.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    "Mr....Boooojangles.....Mr. Boooojangles...." I always loved that song.
    I hope he wins and gives the money to Jerry Jeff Walker and whoever the real guy was who the song was about. Or his family, I suppose. It was inspired by a real person, wasn't it? I think I remember that from somewhere.

I really hate that song.

It has just about every racist cliche imaginable in it.

Old, tap dancing black guy in jail "Cause I drinks a bit".

Geez.

Didn't Jeff Walker say the dude in his song is white?

Anyway, all the chain has to do is say that the they named the song for the equally famous Bojangles Robinson.

Quote Originally Posted by thespianphryne View Post
    If he did, he was lying.

Quote Originally Posted by thespianphryne View Post
    Yep. The thing is, no one believes him because of Bill "Bojangles" Robinson. Me, I don't know, but it does come across as fishy. But I still give Walker a pass, simply because his discography is forever burnt into my youthful nostalgia.
    Stay away from the chimps. You can't reason with them and you'll just end up with monkey shit all over your clothes.

Internet hypocrisy #47: Being the undisputed scourge of trolls until the troll supports your side of the debate and then becoming silent.

The fun thing on Jerry Jeff's side is that the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band did a version where the fellow who was the supposed inspiration for Bojangles did a voice-over lead in to the song, along with his singing and dancing dog. And the dude *was* white.
    Stay away from the chimps. You can't reason with them and you'll just end up with monkey shit all over your clothes.

Internet hypocrisy #47: Being the undisputed scourge of trolls until the troll supports your side of the debate and then becoming silent.

Getting sneaky by posting fake links in your joke articles. Cute nod with the writer. Interesting you would post this now as the founder of Bojangles' died at the beginning of the month.

I love wikipedia sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia's Bojangles' Page
    Operations
    They serve big juicy tatas.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Bryan View Post
    Getting sneaky by posting fake links in your joke articles. Cute nod with the writer. Interesting you would post this now as the founder of Bojangles' died at the beginning of the month.

Ok ya got me...it was a joke article....

But I never knew the guy who founded Bojangles died at the start of the month. In fact I was going down the road this morning and on a CD I have , I have Neil Diamond singing it. Then I thought of the restraunt chain and thought....this would be good for a few giggles.

As I searched I saw Bill Robinson's name and wondered....how many will catch it ?
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

(Ahem) Yeah, well, I knew it was a joke the whole time.
    To escape criticism - do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.

Die ChadH! - bipolar danger girl

I didn't.

Ya got me, SuperE. Ya got me fair and square.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

Quote Originally Posted by rick View Post
    I really hate that song.

Geez.
    Since Bojangles was a real guy who tap-danced and who spent quite a bit of time in jail because of his drinking I don't know whats racist about it.
    Pain shared is divided, joy shared is multiplied

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by rick View Post
    I really hate that song.

Geez.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikekerrIII View Post
    Since Bojangles was a real guy who tap-danced and who spent quite a bit of time in jail because of his drinking I don't know whats racist about it.
    Maybe the dialect? But I grew up in a place where everyone including myself talked like that, so it would never have sounded racist to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    I didn't.

Ya got me, SuperE. Ya got me fair and square.
    What was ya thinking Spike about it before it was revealed as a joke ?

And count me as someone who never really knew the song "Mr. Bojangles" was racist. I had thought the song was about an old circus clown who liked to drink and enertain , but grew old doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Bryan View Post

Huh, must've been edited since you saw that.

Whenever I have cause to use Wikipedia, I sometimes make a game of looking for random cursewords and sexual references in random articles. It began when I found the word "cock" sitting in the middle of an unrelated sentence in an article on James Madison.

I haven't found another one since, but I keep my eyes open because I know they're out there.

I'm pretty easily amused.