Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Where The Hell Am I - Apr 13, 2011

Jason Aaron returns with words of wisdom for writers young and old, advise that can be distilled into one simple statement: Don't be afraid to be from somewhere. Plus, a portrait of a (beardless) young writer!

Full article here.

One of the Good Guys maniacmatt's Avatar

I can't even begin to describe how much this column has helped me, Mr. Aaron. Please don't ever stop. Even after I eventually get published, I'm sure I'll still need your advice.

As far as influences go, I have a hard time noticing when I'm doing it unless it's intentional. That's one of the challenges of "writing through" your influences is that sometimes you don't know where you're travelling through, or even if you've got to the other side.

"I grew up in smalltown Alabama. Jasper, Alabama, to be exact."

Dear God...the number of times in the last thirty years that I must have driven right past your HOUSE....

Mark Waid is apparently stalking my mother. You heard it here first.

*In a thick, Southern accent while parked in van with binoculars*
    Well, hello Mrs. Aaron. How DOOOO you do?
    20th Century Boys 7 Billion Needles Akira Battle Angel Alita Fullmetal Alchemist GANTZ Negima Oh My Goddess Ooku, Yotsuba&!
    Amazing Spider-Man Batman Inc BPRD DMZ Fables Hellboy Orc Stain

Professional Amateur

And here I was avoiding my Southerness and not putting sugar in my iced tea. I'll now proudly sound my barbaric "y'all" from my rooftop...and probably get the law called on me in minutes.

Another helpful column.

It's a serious problem for me...speaking through my characters, instead of letting them speak for themselves...and I'm about six light years away from cracking the code.
    Sean Fahey
    www.facebook.com/BlackJackPress
    Tall Tales from the Badlands - The critically acclaimed Western anthology
    http://graphicly.com/black-jack-pres...the-badlands/1

Supersonic Hell Creature

I feel I met the Aaron Criteria by having Red Hulk eat Lexington-style barbecue.

Default From NY!

Now I feel uncool, because I'm from NY.

Another great column thanks for sharing your thoughts. Who doesn't love the Internet?
    Grr. Argh.

Another very interesting read.

It's funny though: when writing a script, I usually try to camouflage where I come from instead of letting it come through. I was born and live in the heart of the French-speaking province of Quebec so I always strive to make everything sound very "East-coast-America". I guess in my case, it's a matter of weighing local flavor vs. general market appeal.

However, after reading this, I might experiment with more "indigenous" settings for my stories.

Quote Originally Posted by IanMoore View Post
    Another very interesting read.

It's funny though: when writing a script, I usually try to camouflage where I come from instead of letting it come through. I was born and live in the heart of the French-speaking province of Quebec so I always strive to make everything sound very "East-coast-America". I guess in my case, it's a matter of weighing local flavor vs. general market appeal.

However, after reading this, I might experiment with more "indigenous" settings for my stories.
    You could go halves-ys. Instead of heavy Quebec, or way New-England, try the middle road and aim for Montreal chique. It's a little of both and people "get" it since there are so many bands coming out of there in the past 10 years.
    JOIN the discussion, TRACK your Collection, and do it for FREE... ComicBookRealm.com. Tell them Donuil23 sent you!

Quote Originally Posted by donuil23 View Post
    You could go halves-ys. Instead of heavy Quebec, or way New-England, try the middle road and aim for Montreal chique. It's a little of both and people "get" it since there are so many bands coming out of there in the past 10 years.
    Indeed, Montreal has that "big American city" vibe while still retaining its particular Quebec color. Thanks for the tip!

In fact, I very faintly remember an old Spider-Man comic in which Spidey fought the Hulk at la Ronde amusement park in Montreal. Too bad I was too young at the time to realize just how special that occurence was!

One of the Good Guys maniacmatt's Avatar

Just a random thought. Mr. Aaron, do you feel there's much of a distinct "Portland voice"? I know there's a huge concentration of pros there, second only to NYC as far as I know, so I'm curious if you see that city developing its own voice.

Quote Originally Posted by IanMoore View Post
    Indeed, Montreal has that "big American city" vibe while still retaining its particular Quebec color. Thanks for the tip!

In fact, I very faintly remember an old Spider-Man comic in which Spidey fought the Hulk at la Ronde amusement park in Montreal. Too bad I was too young at the time to realize just how special that occurence was!
    Another great article Arron.

But Ian, be careful about giving the audience what you Think they want. Like trying to Englishfy your writing.

I took a course on play writing and the teacher said to write what you know and the audience will find it more believable, instead of stretching into areas you are unfamiliar.

I took that advise and got a C, because I was trying to write about a conflict that happened in my family. I had given the teacher what she wanted but she didn't like the story.

The problem with it, I realize now, is... I...didn't like the story. It wasn't my type of story that I would read. I really had no heart in it.

While I know about that conflict...I wouldn't be caught dead in a theater watching it. It would be like going to see "On Golden Pond" which I've never seen and have no interest in watching.

While it was good advise...I think better advise... would be to write about something you'd love to read yourself and add what you know.

Like Superheros and then add that they are in Quebec, or Zombies or Vampires in Quebec.

Being from the USA... I like reading about other places... with interesting stories and part of that is the interesting accents.

Right now I'm loving Rocket Red in the Justice League:Generation Lost title and it's mainly because of his accent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenacious_AA View Post
    Right now I'm loving Rocket Red in the Justice League:Generation Lost title and it's mainly because of his accent.
    Lol, my wife can't get over Renee from the early seasons of True Blood! The accent is almost familiar (from Quebec) but then again, not.
    JOIN the discussion, TRACK your Collection, and do it for FREE... ComicBookRealm.com. Tell them Donuil23 sent you!