Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Layoffs Hit Dark Horse Comics

In the face of tough times across the industry, CBR News has learned that a number of staffers at Dark Horse comics have been laid off including editors on the "Star Wars" and "Creepy" comics lines.

Full article here.

Hopefully this is just costcutting and budget tightening and not more indicative of anything more serious.

My Dark Horse books are pretty much limited to Buffy trades and the Gold Key revivial (and it seems I'm the only one). I like a world where Dark Horse is thriving though.
    David Bowie fan

Fraggin' Bastich

It's never nice when somebody loses his or her job. Best of luck to them!

Darkhorse. Keep fighting the good fight. Wishing the best for the company.
    Pull List:
    Incredible Hulk,Hulk,Punisher Max,Ultimate Spider-Man,Amazing Spider-Man,Thor,Captain America,New Avengers, Uncanny X-Men,XForce

RIP Ronnie James Dio Deathstroke's Avatar

It is a shame to think Dark Horse isn't doing as well as one could hope considering how much money I'm spending on their material.

Here's hoping the layoff victims find something in their field soon.
    I'm on Twitter

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Sorry to hear this, it really frustrates me that the company that puts out stuff like BPRD and Hellboy is not more successful than it is. This industry is really frustrating sometimes.

Resident Lurker The Left Hand of Doom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Broome View Post
    Sorry to hear this, it really frustrates me that the company that puts out stuff like BPRD and Hellboy is not more successful than it is. This industry is really frustrating sometimes.
    What he said.

The only Dark Horse books I've been getting are the Gold Key/Valiant revival books. I've been enjoying them just wish they weren't behind schedule.

I hope these layoffs aren't a symptom of more cutbacks at DHC down the road. Best of luck to those staffers laid off in finding new jobs.
    "Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient Beings" - Optimus Prime
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1

BANNED

Wow hope what happens to DDP happens to DHC. I like their Conan, Kull, Star Wars and Gold Key/Valiant revivals. Some good stuff that I wish more people would pick up.

Sucks. I hope that's the end of the bad news for DH. From their inception they've been committed to a diverse product line, and are the only major publisher that consistently puts out great horror material. The industry needs a vibrant and forward leaning Dark Horse.
    Sean Fahey
    www.facebook.com/BlackJackPress
    Tall Tales from the Badlands - The critically acclaimed Western anthology
    http://graphicly.com/black-jack-pres...the-badlands/1

this sucks. dark horse has always been quality, hope this doesn't get any worse.

What everyone else said, I hope the best for those now without a job and hope like hell this isn't a sign of even more bad news for Dark Horse.

Dark Horse is the greatest comic publisher working today. I mean, they have Hellboy, The BPRD, The Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Concrete, The Beasts of Burden - these are the new generation of comic book heroes! DH are the ones turning out the quality general audience titles.
    Last edited by Angilas-Man; 04-13-2011 at 12:07 PM.

Award-Accepting Ex-Editor

Default great editors

I was fortunate to work with Shawna, Tim, and Dave at Dark Horse when I was in Editorial a decade ago. All three are excellent, professional, and passionate editors who would be an asset to any publisher. Here's hoping they land on their feet.

Mike Hansen

Karma ran over Dogma grphxkindaguy's Avatar

Exclamation

DH fell from 3rd to 5th in comic book companie standings?!? When did this happen?

That's a pretty bad sign. Hope all these layoffs are NOT the "beginning of the end" for them...
    Comics still reading: Floppies- Saga TPB- GI Joe ARAH, Sixth Gun, Hawkeye, Usagi Yojimbo. DC nu52 is unreadable...

Dave Land was one of the big reasons I enjoyed SW comics for all those years. He brought a lot of enthusiasm to the line and it showed in what he edited.

Hope all 3 of these folks are back on their feet elsewhere in the industry soon.

Quote Originally Posted by grphxkindaguy View Post
    DH fell from 3rd to 5th in comic book companie standings?!? When did this happen?

That's a pretty bad sign. Hope all these layoffs are NOT the "beginning of the end" for them...
    I'd gather DH hasn't fallen so much as others are doing better.

I saw a chart last week or so - IDW (picking up lots of business with these licensed lines of theirs) is #3, and Image (not as strong as in the past but still doing better than most) is #4.