Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: PHOTOS: "Smallville: Booster"

The CW has released an extensive photo gallery for "Booster," the Geoff Johns scripted episode of "Smallville" featuring the debut of Booster Gold and Blue Beetle, set to air Friday, April 22.

Full article here.

The more I see of Tom Welling in the classic Clark Kent guise the more I'm convinced that the big screen casting is off base. Whether you know anything about Smallville or not, he looks the part in every sense.

As far as these new stills go...

Booster looks mostly good. Not necessarily digging the weird stitched in abs or the *ahem* "generous" cod piece. Apart from that, he looks pretty good.

Blue Beetle..... Ugh!!! I seriously hope that this looks better in motion because these new stills look worse than the first one. I understand that his look will evolve, but the implementation looks cheap and very Power Ranger-y. Given how he's turned out, I might have preferred an episode with just Booster Gold alone. Story-wise, I'd even have placed this story somewhere in the middle of a version of 52 and have Booster traveling further into the past with Skeets in hot pursuit.

As-is, I'm not convinced that Blue Beetle is going to work on screen. I'm having flashbacks of the "Legends of the Superheroes" or that aborted "Justice League" pilot.

Quote Originally Posted by cookepuss View Post
    The more I see of Tom Welling in the classic Clark Kent guise the more I'm convinced that the big screen casting is off base. Whether you know anything about Smallville or not, he looks the part in every sense.
    Yeah, they just need to get rid of the awful red leather jacket.
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.

It's a step closer and, with only a few episodes left, we're sure to be rid of it soon. The finale is the "money shot" they've been building toward for a decade. Frankly, in some ways, I'm glad the show dragged on as long as it did. Welling is more broad shouldered and manly looking now than he was even 3 or 4 years ago. I'm not sure he would've filled the costume back in season 6 or 7. He was a little scrawny still back then.

Needs more Skeets and Legion Flight Ring.

Wow...and people gave Wonder Woman a hard time and here we get a Mighty Morphin Power Beetle, NASCAR Booster Gold and Tom Welling in yet another sub-standard Superman costume in the form of Daredevil's jacket.

Booster's isn't too bad. The gold fabric is very much like what they used for Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman costume so it's not very modern/expensive looking. Also the jacket having abs and the metallic diaper OVER the pants looks bad. The basics are there but the execution is lacking.

Blue Beetle's was a nice attempt but waaaaay too bulky/clunky/plastic looking. It's doesn't remotely look alien tech as much as it looks like a fan costume. It looks like he doesn't have a neck and that his arms are short/his shoulders are hunched up. Odd.

Tom Welling...I know some fans want to see him take the big screen as Supes but he's a wooden actor at best and can barely pull off the Clark let alone the Kal. This 'costume' they've saddled him with is really insulting. First off, it's maroon colored. Secondly, they've been falsely adamant in their decades old "no tights, no flights" and yet time and again he flies and wears a costume but not THE costume. This is sub-standard and it's not cool, it's not a wink/nudge, it's not an homage to the real deal. It's like DC Direct teamed up with Wilson Leather and came up with this to sell at Warner Bros. stores circa 1995.

The guy is a superhero, give him the superhero costume! Yes it'll be great to see him in it in the final episode but since the show isn't about "Smallville" anymore and it's 100% Superman there's no reason to keep pretending otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by cookepuss View Post
    Doesn't matter. Welling has said he doesn't want the job.
    "A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

Oscar Wilde

No offense to the guy currently playing Booster Gold (I don't know his work so I can't judge it), but it just struck me that Ryan Reynolds shouldn't be Hal Jordan, he should be Booster.
    “What I think the political correctness debate is really about is the power to be able to define. The definers want the power to name. And the defined are now taking that power away from them.”

Quote Originally Posted by Squashua View Post
    Needs more Skeets and Legion Flight Ring.
    To quote myself, I just realized the possible lack of these two elements might mean the Smallville Booster Gold is a poseur who claims he is from the future while actually being from the present.

I hope to be proven wrong. The fact we have not yet seen a Legion Ring in the imagery from a Geoff Johns-scripted Booster Gold episode (he wrote the first Legionnaires episode and that had the rings) make me suspect otherwise. Granted, it may be worn underneath one of his gloves, but we'll see.

BANNED

I quite like the red, leather jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by I-Ching View Post
    Wow...and people gave Wonder Woman a hard time and here we get a Mighty Morphin Power Beetle, NASCAR Booster Gold and Tom Welling in yet another sub-standard Superman costume in the form of Daredevil's jacket.
    Beetle actually sort of already looks like a power ranger, so I can't fault them for that. With the WW thing, it looked like someone was going to a comic convention and decided at the last minute to dress up like WW.

You can at least tell some level of effort went into the Smallville costumes. Or at least more effort then they put into the WW outfit, which really says something about the outfit when costumes which are basically a dude in a red leather jacket look better.
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.

Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    Beetle actually sort of already looks like a power ranger, so I can't fault them for that.
    And NASCAR Booster ties in perfectly with his shallowness and need for fame, attention, and money, like it did in the comics, so I can't blame the producers for doing that here (actually, I'd like to shake their hands). I'm just disappointed that Captain Amazing from Mystery Men beat him to the punch with the advertisements.
    “What I think the political correctness debate is really about is the power to be able to define. The definers want the power to name. And the defined are now taking that power away from them.”

Lailoni Prime Vespa Stressfactor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    And NASCAR Booster ties in perfectly with his shallowness and need for fame, attention, and money, like it did in the comics, so I can't blame the producers for doing that here (actually, I'd like to shake their hands). I'm just disappointed that Captain Amazing from Mystery Men beat him to the punch with the advertisements.
    Well, and Geoff Johns said that he partially took his inspiration for this iteration of Booster from the early pages of 52 and if anyone has read that series Booster does start off with sponsorship patches all over his costume.

What's more striking to me is.... BOOSTER! In a live-action TV series! Out of all of DC's characters Booster is kind of the last I thought would ever show up. Beyond a small but die-hard fan base he isn't a well-known character.

I was frankly surprised he got a solo story in the JLU animated series and I was surprised he got a story in the Batman: the Brave and the Bold animated series as well.

As for the costume... I'm with everyone else -- there are parts of it that look good and there are parts of it that look crappy. What's really going to sell the character is the performance of the actor. Booster is one of those characters that has to be carefully balanced. Too far in the 'Bwahahaha, I'm in it for the money' direction and he becomes unbearably annoying and stupid. Too far in the 'earnest, selfless superhero' direction and he loses that 'loveable loser' quality that makes him an everyman character. The type that you sympathize with because his heart is (generally) in the right place but he can't always get things *quite* right, although he tries.
    My crazy blog of weird and geeky stuff http://compoundgeekery.blogspot.com/ RANDOM!

"Your Silliness is noted." K-9

The more I learn the more I realize how little I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Stressfactor View Post
    Well, and Geoff Johns said that he partially took his inspiration for this iteration of Booster from the early pages of 52 and if anyone has read that series Booster does start off with sponsorship patches all over his costume.
    Yeah, most definitely, but I was disappointed when Booster lost the patches. It was a great FU to Da Man in general, but then again, WB owns Da Man.