Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Hellboy: Buster Oakley Gets His Wish

Check it out! A preview!

Whoa, looks amazing. Nowlan is such a fantastic artist.
    Strangebeard: It's not the size of the pirate in the fight, but the size of the fight in the pirate.

That is totally buff and awesome.
    Within three pages mr Nowlan has Hellboy laughing, significantly!

And the shrubs or group of trees Hellboy lingers into, with seeing the cowghosts in search of the children, looks very much to be what in my country (literally translated) is called "farmers relief wood" or "plagueforest", treegroups amid the pastures or fields, specifically there for disposing of livestock deceased from illness in old times, before there were lorries or trucks to take them to cowproteinfoodfactories or incinerators.
    Really cool!
    Last edited by Kees_L; 04-05-2011 at 09:17 AM. Reason: .
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

It comes out today!

I got my copy today. Haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I was sad that there were no variant covers. I was there early and there are still some variants from the last Hellboy one shot but none for Buster Oakley. Bad luck. But very much looking forward to the book none the less.

By far one of the best HB stories to date! Kevin Nowlan's work is amazing! Huge win!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Noct View Post
    I got my copy today. Haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I was sad that there were no variant covers. I was there early and there are still some variants from the last Hellboy one shot but none for Buster Oakley. Bad luck. But very much looking forward to the book none the less.
    My LCS didn't have the variant either, I'm not usually a variant guy but Mike's 25th anniversary cover just looked cool.

If youll notice in the back of one of the panels, it shows the alien that was in one of the early Hellboy series.

mighty fun book, indeed! (didn't get the sweet mignola variant cover, either... thought about getting it through midtown, but realized i'd get it, look at it... then put it in a box and never look at it again after it's collected in a trade or library edition)
    -c

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMMiller View Post
    If youll notice in the back of one of the panels, it shows the alien that was in one of the early Hellboy series.
    Really? I'm going to have to reread it then. This story really through me for a loop, I really didn't know what to expect but it definitely wasn't what we got. It was a whole different kind of folklore than we're used to seeing Hellboy encounter, as Hellboy himself remarked, " I don't usually get called to do these things". It was a surprising twist, and one I wouldn't mind seeing more of, Hellboy confronting more modern myths and legends could be pretty fun.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMMiller View Post
    It does too! On the page where Hellboy yells, "Horrible thing!" Huh, I missed that the first time.

I really enjoyed this book. The colours were so bold and bright that it took me some time to get used to but it was fantastic. Not my favourite HB story. A bit oddly shaped. The action wasn't very interesting but the art was so great, I didn't care.

I think we'll see this cow guy again one day. Perhaps. Those passages about Hell seemed to be getting at something. Something from this book will turn up in a future HB book. I'm almost sure of it.

This was a fun one. Light on dialogue (understandably given the nature of the story), but the visuals are sumptious and more than make up for any loss in that department. Kevin is in rare form and honestly I'd like to see more HB universe stuff from him. Thanks Mike/Kevin/Scott/et. al. for making this one happen!

Got it yesterday and read it in the same evening. No Mignola variant at my LCS either.

I agree with the majority here: the art is superb. It's really a treat to see how Nowlan tackles the subject matter, especially one that is so really seen in the Hellboy universe.

However, my literary stomach was left growling since this issue was so very light on text. I'm more of a text fan than an art fan, so it wasn't a hefty meal for me. Still, a very very good read!

Favorite lines:

HELLBOY: The guy looked at me funny for a second...
    HELLBOY: ... then he turned into a skeleton.
    HELLBOY: I tell you, I wish they were all that easy.

and

HELLBOY: Ghost cows. That's something you don't see every -