Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Detective Comics

Is the latest issue a good jumping on point or is this the story that has continued on from the back-up story? Is Detective the best Bat book at the moment for good standalone stories/arcs? (ie- not like Grant Morrison's stuff which is good but far too caught up in backstories etc for new readers I feel)

The latest issue, Detective Comics #875, is a pretty solid jumping on point. Scott Snyder writes beautifully, and the issue itself has a brief intro monologue from none other than Harvey Bullock, who recaps everything we need to know from the current run. I'd recommend it, if you're looking to get into Scott Snyder's run on the title without digging for back issues.
    Locke & Key, Saga, Thief of Thieves

You've sold it to me :)

It's good jumping point but you should definitely pick up 871-875. Tec has easily become one of the best bat books under Synder and all of his run is worth reading.

I was just thinking to myself the other night that, for the last six years, Detective has been consistently amazing. Dini...Rucka's Batwoman...and now Snyder. Morrison's antics and massive alterations get all the attention, but Detective is just always quietly superb.

Quote Originally Posted by shaxper View Post
    I was just thinking to myself the other night that, for the last six years, Detective has been consistently amazing. Dini...Rucka's Batwoman...and now Snyder. Morrison's antics and massive alterations get all the attention, but Detective is just always quietly superb.
    That's the realization I've come to. Tec is the only comic I know I'll be buying every month.

You can jump on now without too much trouble, but it's totally worth your while to start with 871.

'Tec is easily one of my top five comics right now.
    If you're not reading Lazarus you should be.

Or you can wait for the next issue, which starts off a new arc.

But it is worth to get all the past issues!
    "Criminals are a cowardly, superstitious lot." - Dick Grayson
    "That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard." - Damian Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyZERO View Post

But it is worth to get all the past issues!
    You can say that again. It shouldn't be too hard to find issues 871-874 at a LCS (ebay is always an option too.) 875 is easy to find being that it was just released. This whole run is totally worth it.

this is currently one of my favourite books. it's in my top 3 month in month out ever since Snyder came on board.

Thumbs up

Greetings to all!

I'm happy to find this thread because I was thinking the same thing!
    Totally new here and to comics.....it's great to be on board. Detective Comics will be my first subscription and it sounds great! I'll have to look into the 871-875 back issues.

Four degrees higher Cheesedique's Avatar

I've been wanting to get into the new arc, but then I bought #871-#875 all out of order, so I have no idea what's going on and have to sit down and read the arc again in order.

It doesn't help that my copy of #875 seems to have a printing error. Page one with Bullock's monologue appears again exactly on page 6, and pages 2-6 appear again in the same order after that. I then have a page of Gordon confronting his son, and then a page with Gordon hanging someone out a window. What the hell? Anyone else get a copy with this error in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedique View Post
    I've been wanting to get into the new arc, but then I bought #871-#875 all out of order, so I have no idea what's going on and have to sit down and read the arc again in order.

It doesn't help that my copy of #875 seems to have a printing error. Page one with Bullock's monologue appears again exactly on page 6, and pages 2-6 appear again in the same order after that. I then have a page of Gordon confronting his son, and then a page with Gordon hanging someone out a window. What the hell? Anyone else get a copy with this error in it?
    Yes my shop got its entire shipment of last weeks issue with this printing error too. Perhaps it is a West Coast phenomena?

Four degrees higher Cheesedique's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Theozilla View Post
    Yes my shop got its entire shipment of last weeks issue with this printing error too. Perhaps it is a West Coast phenomena?
    Yep, I'm in southern California. Too bad--I'd read how great this issue is and was really looking forward to reading it.

That's really weird. I'm on the East Coast and my copy didn't have the printing error.