Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Jack of Fables 50

I remember when Jack of Fables was a good book. t hasn't been so in a while, unfortunately, and the final issue reminds us of that.

Wow... that was really, REALLY, bad.

I think I will go back and read some of the fist half of the run to cheer me up...
    Last edited by rpriske; 04-08-2011 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rpriske View Post
    I remember when Jack of Fables was a good book. t hasn't been so in a while, unfortunately, and the final issue reminds us of that.

Wow... that was really, REALLY, bad.

I think I will go back an dread some of the fist half of the run to cheer me up...
    I'm actually finishing a review about this sucker as we speak. It was a spectacular train wreck (It was fundamentally well written), but it was a train wreck never the less. Pay attention Ladies and Gentlemen, this is what could happen when a creator is no longer interested in what he or she owns. Too bad the writing was on the wall (in hindsight) since the Great Fables Crossover, when he turned it over to Jack "I am Milquetoast" Frost. The last 5 Issues have been a madcap rush to the end that seemed really exciting compared to how they bored us for over a year.

Putting it that way....I'm glad this book is over.
    Those who refuse to learn from History, will repeat History as they wonder "What the F*ck happened?"

It may have been a bad way of ending the series, but at least 1 of the characters from the seires survived it all.

The power of the rainbow. jade_nova's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CMBMOOL View Post
    It may have been a bad way of ending the series, but at least 1 of the characters from the seires survived it all.
    I think more characters survived. We did not see Sam and where is Revise. I can't believe they killed off practically everybody.
    "Here's to me and here's to you. If we should ever disagree, then here's to me and to hell with you," William O. Astle 1905-2002

"Damn you, Harlot! Science and I know what we're doing," Reed Richards

http://captain-smiley.livejournal.com/-Here be Countdown summaries.

Quote Originally Posted by jade_nova View Post
    I think more characters survived. We did not see Sam and where is Revise. I can't believe they killed off practically everybody.
    Spoilers for the Great Fables Crossover and #50
    spoilers:
    Revised and the other Literals aside from the Page Sisters and Gary went into the Mundane Egg.

Sam, the baby and Babe survived. all else are dead.
    end of spoilers

This is too bad, I'm up to the 7th tpb (I think) and I've thusfar enjoyed the series... but this hardly the first time I've heard on these here interwebs that the series goes downhill swiftly. I very much enjoyed the first couple arcs. Jack's Hollywood escapades, his Jack Frost days, and his shenanigans with the many devils is as good as anything in the main Fables series, IMO.

I really wish i hadn't started to pick this book up again. I also really wish I didn't feel compelled to pick up the trade to complete the set.

government's watching you matt levin's Avatar
    western Massachusetts, USA; rural, river valley

awww, I liked it. Good bye Jack. Gonna buy a page of you as a Dragon, to remember you by. It was always silly, and it ends silly and with a title like The World's Greatest Comic has Nothing on Jack of Fables, how could it not?
    Walking Man Comics

Age/Bronze-A.S.Westrn-AstroCity-Amelia-CourtneyC.-Brody'sGhost-DD-Dial H-Fables-Fatale-Fell-Goon-Groo-Hellboy-Mudman-NextWave-Rocketeer-StarDrop-Thief-Usagi-Wolff/Byrd-Unwritten

That sucked. It showed a contempt for both the characters and the readers. Look, I'm sorry that Jack never worked as well, or sold as well as Fables. But saying a big "screw you" to the readers you have left isn't a way to reward them for staying with you. Next time Matt has an idea like "let's kill everyone", let's not.
    The art was a poor choice too. Akin's and Braun's work was always good in this book. Not fantastic, but it was nice and fit in well the story. They were not dynamic and not the type of work that splash pages call for. So page after page of splash pages that are nothing more than enlarged panels (the splash page is a different thing from a panel page, see: Jack Kirby) was a poor choice.
    I wish I had joined the legion of readers who were smart enough to drop this book, amazing that the creators of Fables, one of the best books now published, could produce this crap.

BTW, don't think we saw the third Page Sister snuff it.

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    BTW, don't think we saw the third Page Sister snuff it.
    Humpty, killed Priscilla - Robin Killed Humpty - Tin Man killed Robin - Jack Frost killed Tin man - Cowardly Lion killed Hilary in same panel.

Quote Originally Posted by snarkbunny View Post
    Humpty, killed Priscilla - Robin Killed Humpty - Tin Man killed Robin - Jack Frost killed Tin man - Cowardly Lion killed Hilary in same panel.

I see it now, thanks.

Still hated it.

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    I see it now, thanks.

Still hated it.
    Fair enough. I thought it was hilarious in a twisted opera sort of way (death by cow being my favourite) but I can understand why people would hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by snarkbunny View Post
    Fair enough. I thought it was hilarious in a twisted opera sort of way (death by cow being my favourite) but I can understand why people would hate it.
    I see the humor they were going for. But it just felt like a cruel, mean-spirited handling of characters they should have cared more about.

Hammer Wielding Member thinbalion's Avatar

This series should have probably ended around the great Fables Crossover. Most of the important story threads were wrapped up then anyway. The Jack Frost stories though not awful never had the same pizzazz as what came before, and the ending though fitting the madcap sensibility of the book just never clicked.
    "... but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - [time is] more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."

The Comic Age

Quote Originally Posted by AgPhoenix View Post
    Too bad the writing was on the wall (in hindsight) since the Great Fables Crossover, when he turned it over to Jack "I am Milquetoast" Frost.
    Interestingly, according to interviews, the end of the crossover was the point they decided they were going to end the series. Everything from the first Jack Frost arc onward was written with the ending already in mind.