View Poll Results: What do you think of Claremont's original plans for Sinister and Gambit?

Voters
18. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • This is a great idea! I wish both characters had been portrayed this way after Claremont left.

3 16.67%
  • I like the Sinister idea, but I like Gambit and his relationship with Sinister as he is now.

2 11.11%
  • Sinister is best as an evil geneticist, but Gambit would make a great villain!

4 22.22%
  • I don't like either idea at all. Sinister and Gambit are fine the way they are.

8 44.44%
  • Other (explain)

1 5.56%

Default Mr. Sinister's original intended origin

Did a quick search and I didn't see that this has been discussed before, but I just ran across an interesting old article elsewhere on CBR:

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...s-revealed-78/

After all these years, I actually hadn't heard this before. In summary, this was the original idea:

1. Mr. Sinister was supposed to be the creation of a mutant child who was unable to mature beyond childhood and who was raised in the orphanage with Scott Summers.

2. On a side note, Gambit was originally supposed to be a villain who worked with Sinister and was trying to subvert the X-Men from within (I suppose this was a little obvious).

So, which version of these characters would you prefer the writers to have developed?

I probably like you. Filthy Mutie's Avatar

Neither.

X-Poster of the Month: December 2012
    X-Poster of the Month: December 2009

The Best There Is At What I Do

1 is just like X-Men Forever, so I prefer that. RIP X-Men Forever :(

Mr Sinister's origin was told in Classic X-Men 42-43. Scott met him at the orphanage.

Chris used this in X-Men Forever Vol.2! It was great. I like that origin better.

I actually still haven't read X-Men Forever. I went through a period from about 2005-now when I wasn't able to pick up the books, and I just finished playing catch-up with back issues until I'm now pretty much current.

You guys are definitely making me want to pick up Forever, though.

As good a writer as Claremont was, his original idea for Sinister was terrible. I'm thankful they didn't run with it in 616.
    Hes thrown a kettle over a pub, what have you done?

I dream of Jeannie Bart Simpson's Avatar

I prefer it as is.

The following ideas were too vanilla and jock minded. Mike Carey is the only one twisted enough to follow up on Chris.

Fortuna Favet Fortibus The Lucky One's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boobot View Post
    Did a quick search and I didn't see that this has been discussed before, but I just ran across an interesting old article elsewhere on CBR:
    We've actually discussed it probably a half dozen times, but that's okay -- old threads are always getting pushed out and there are always new posters, certainly doesn't hurt to bring it up again.

I don't have a problem with the geneticist angle, but I definitely prefer the intended origin. It helps explain his goofy look and name, as well as his extremely vaguely-defined motivations. I also really like the idea that the horrible slaughter of the Mutant Massacre happened for no reason at all beyond a spoiled child's whim.

-D
    "I love the nostalgic, myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past."
    ~Walt Disney

The Impulsive Buy
    Mutant Reviewers From Hell

Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post
    We've actually discussed it probably a half dozen times, but that's okay -- old threads are always getting pushed out and there are always new posters, certainly doesn't hurt to bring it up again.

I don't have a problem with the geneticist angle, but I definitely prefer the intended origin. It helps explain his goofy look and name, as well as his extremely vaguely-defined motivations. I also really like the idea that the horrible slaughter of the Mutant Massacre happened for no reason at all beyond a spoiled child's whim.

-D
    I perhaps should have known better than to think Claremont wouldn't have pursued this in Forever. I've been meaning to pick up Forever for a while now, and while Forever 2 was still ongoing I was still trying to play catch-up, even though I know I didn't need to be up on current continuity to follow it.

Now I've gone and spoiled at least part it for myself!

I'm going to vote neither. I like Sinister the way he is, a crazed geneticist who loves manipulating the X-men. And now with the inclusion of Miss Sinister, he has sex appeal going for him. There's nothing wrong with how he was written. It's interesting to see what was originally intended for him, but I'm glad that's not the path they chose. If I had to choose any alternative, I would choose how he was depicted in X-Factor Forever. That wasn't too different than who he is now, but it was different enough to still be interesting. After his recent appearance in X-23, I look forward to seeing Sinister return soon. I would like to see him get his hands on Jean ripoff. He may be one of the few who share my distaste for that character.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

X-men Supreme

Quote Originally Posted by boobot View Post
    I perhaps should have known better than to think Claremont wouldn't have pursued this in Forever. I've been meaning to pick up Forever for a while now, and while Forever 2 was still ongoing I was still trying to play catch-up, even though I know I didn't need to be up on current continuity to follow it.

Now I've gone and spoiled at least part it for myself!
    Vol 2 by itself is fine. You don't need to read Vol 1 first.

I probably like you. Filthy Mutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MartinRedmond View Post
    Vol 2 by itself is fine. You don't need to read Vol 1 first.
    Is volume one where Storm assassinates Black Panther?

X-Poster of the Month: December 2012
    X-Poster of the Month: December 2009

The Best There Is At What I Do

Yes, I'm just sayin' u can start with either, imo.