Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Will MJ + Peter ever get back together again?

Will Mary and Parker ever get back together again? any thoughts?
    Last edited by Karma331; 04-01-2011 at 01:17 PM.

Maybe another hero should hook up with MJ

Mary should have PUNCHED out mephisto's lights...I mean, seriously, lady, big red demon in front of u, just get your handbag, lol...
    And then parker could join in...

hey, maybe dr. strange + MJ could get a thing goin'...
    Last edited by Karma331; 03-28-2011 at 05:41 PM.

Lightbulb

Yes. Because that's the way Peter Parker has been written, and no one else will do.

To clarify, Peter Parker is not a swinger or Playboy, but he's always wanted a date, and always been incredibly serious once he's got one. In the early issues he asks Liz Allen out, but she denies him, and once he hooks up with Betty Brant, he goes out of his way to rebuff her advances. One of the first things that turns him off to MJ (originally) was that he believed she was shallow, and much later (during the drug issues) he rebuffs her again because he's in a serious relationship with Gwen.

Further, once he has the proverbial "her", he's relatively quick to attempt to marry her. When Betty Brant tells Peter that Ned Leeds asked her to marry him, Peter's first reaction is "I'll confess I'm spider-man and ask her to marry ME!" which is both not normal and demonstrative of someone who's fine with a serious committed relationship. He proposes to MJ rather quickly too, though she turns him down the first time.

In other words, Peter Parker wants a girlfriend, and then he wants to make her his wife. This is something that even the original writers realized and struggled. It's why Gwen Stacy stagnated as a character for fifty issues. Because she was the romantic interest. That was her purpose. Once her and Peter were together, there was nowhere left for her story arc to go (admittedly, they could have just developed her independently, but that still wasn't her primary purpose). And they very specifically didn't want Peter Parker to get married. So they let her stagnate. She probably would have STAYED stagnated if they didn't decide to kill someone and Gerry Conway didn't like her.

And Mary Jane is proof of that, since the only thing that got them married was because Stan Lee for some reason had control of the Comic Strip and made them get married there.

Because of this, it makes sense for him to get married. Because of history, it HAS to be Mary Jane. So while they may delay getting MARRIED for quite some time, I don't think they can hold off putting them back together for TOO much longer.

Why? Because eventually they'll realize that the only plots you can do with Single Spider-Man that you can't with Married Spider-Man are romance plots (and Black Cat stories), and when everyone knows that the romance story MUST FAIL and that the romantic partner you care about isn't part of it, Romance plots fall flat. The Romance stories of early spider-man had punch because Spider-Man didn't have an established mythos, didn't have an established love. Then they gave him one...and killed her (and then desecrated her grave with Sins Past). Then they gave him another, played with it for a couple hundred issues, married them, and almost let them have a child (or, they had a child). And as much as Quesada may not like it, there's no getting rid of her.

If you ever doubt it, consider this. Do you think that tommorrow, DC could give Superman another love interest besides Lois Lane and have it stick? Of course not. Just the way it works.

Fantastic post Xenon, I agree with everything you said.

DD & BP: secret BFF's FriendRoss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Karma331 View Post
    Mary should have PUNCHED out mephisto's lights...I mean, seriously, lady, big red demon in front of u, just get your handbag, lol...
    And then parker could join in...

hey, maybe dr. strange + MJ could get a thing goin'...

daredevil and MJ

not only would peter be worked up over the jeolousy.. but with dd's history he should be scared MJ wouldnt survive the relationship

BANNED

Eventually we'll see 616 MJ and Pete married again. OMD was just a terrible idea from JoeyQ that'll wash away someday.

100% alive since 1978 Ben Smith's Avatar

I don't doubt that someone someday is going to put them back together.

If I had to guess, I would say Marvel is going to keep them apart for a while to distance themselves from the marriage era, before they put them back together.

Default I

I sincerely hope not. They were an ill-matched couple. Haven't we already had about a dozen go-rounds about this? We all have our own opinions. And, let's face it, none of us knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    Yes. Because that's the way Peter Parker has been written, and no one else will do..
    I don't get what you're saying here.

Mary Jane doesn't have to be a part of the character's romantic subplot - no one does, really - (there could just not be one), just look at all the other girls Spider-Man's been with.

Because eventually they'll realize that the only plots you can do with Single Spider-Man that you can't with Married Spider-Man are romance plots (and Black Cat stories)
    And that's one of the things that comes attached to the quintessential status quo that goes with the character. He's always looking for the girl, even though the odds are against him. It happens in the movies, the early (pre-marriage) comics, the current comics (pre-Carlie Cooper) and a lot of the other incarnations.
    Last edited by ChargerKB; 07-17-2012 at 12:38 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Meehaul View Post
    I sincerely hope not. They were an ill-matched couple. Haven't we already had about a dozen go-rounds about this? We all have our own opinions. And, let's face it, none of us knows.
    For all "ill matched couple" they certainly managed to last a considerable amount of time, even before 1987.

Default Yup

Quote Originally Posted by RDMacQ View Post
    For all "ill matched couple" they certainly managed to last a considerable amount of time, even before 1987.
    Yup, a shotgun editorially mandated romance if ever there was one. In all seriousness, the relationship never worked well in my view. I preferred MJ pre-marriage. I didn't love OMD, but I'm glad the marriage is gone.

Will they? probably, but I hope not.
    Highly Evolved Creature Totally Orientated on Revenge.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Meehaul View Post
    Yup, a shotgun editorially mandated romance if ever there was one. In all seriousness, the relationship never worked well in my view. I preferred MJ pre-marriage. I didn't love OMD, but I'm glad the marriage is gone.
    Pre-Marriage MJ still had a very long relationship with Peter. I don't think that would have happened if they really WERE an "ill matched couple."

Default I

Quote Originally Posted by RDMacQ View Post
    Pre-Marriage MJ still had a very long relationship with Peter. I don't think that would have happened if they really WERE an "ill matched couple."
    I have had a long and wonderful relationship with my accountant. But she and I would make a bad couple. MJ and pete worked better for me as best friends. At least, to me, MJ was more interesting as Pete's friend than wife or girlfriend. Writers felt the need to "Gwen-ize" her after they started dating heavily. She just changed. And I will never like the actress model aspect of her character. It was just silly and a bad fit for pete, in my opinion. But this is something that's been beaten down into the deadest of departed equines.