Page 4 of 668 FirstFirst 123456781454104504 ... LastLast
    I dream of Jeannie Bart Simpson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Valeria Kementari View Post
    well I think this is the Phoenixless appreciation thread for Jean, ergo it stands to logic those that appreciate Phoenixless Jean do not want to see Phoenix related costumes...
    We're discussing possible costume choices for Jean. She can not be accessing the force, yet still use the imagery. She's done it fits in this thread. Just skip past my post if you aren't going to contribute.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Simpson View Post
    We're discussing possible costume choices for Jean. She can not be accessing the force, yet still use the imagery. She's done it fits in this thread. Just skip past my post if you aren't going to contribute.
    I contribute by saying that IF she does return she should not wear anything that resembles a Phoenix at all. She has to free herself from that horrid bird and convoluted mess.

Veteran Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Aside from her costume, one thing I think we should discuss is pre-Phoenix Marvel Girl's power level. It's often assumed that she was weak, but I haven't really seen anything that suggests that.

She was able to use her telepathy to blast Juggernaut straight through his helmet.

And she was perfectly capable of flying with her telekinesis.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Greatest_Username View Post
    Aside from her costume, one thing I think we should discuss is pre-Phoenix Marvel Girl's power level. It's often assumed that she was weak, but I haven't really seen anything that suggests that.

She was able to use her telepathy to blast Juggernaut straight through his helmet.

And she was perfectly capable of flying with her telekinesis.
    that wasnt true flying...it was levitation. She could lift herself for short distances but she couldnt sustain herself in the air for too long. I would say that 60s Jean was weak. She TK wasnt anything impressive. If I remember correctly, she did a bit of fainting as well

I wish I had a scanner. I'd put up the pages from...oh, gosh, I can't remember the issue number. It's in my copy of X-Men Masterworks volume six. She's using her TK for baking and housework. It's delightful.

Spicy redheads... The Thunderbird's Avatar

Jean once threatened to shoot two crooks with their own guns in one of the early issues.

"Here's da plan: win. If we lose, it's because ya didn't follow da plan."
    -A typical Ork Boss from Warhammer 40,000

Last edited by Electric Version; 03-27-2011 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I would say that 60s Jean was weak. She TK wasnt anything impressive. If I remember correctly, she did a bit of fainting as well
    It was mostly early 60's Jean that was weak, but most of the other X-Men weren't too impressive with their powers either.

I probably like you. Filthy Mutie's Avatar

If Jean Grey is ever to break free from the egregious association with the Phoenix Force, her costume should definitely not have any kind of bird imagery.

If she returns during a period when everyone is wearing a costume, she should have a costume that is a modern take on her classic Marvel Girl costume.

If she returns when everyone is wearing a uniform, it should obviously be a uniform; if there are variations of the uniform theme, it should be less-showier than "Psylockes" and Storm's, but more showy than Rogue's.

X-Poster of the Month: December 2012
    X-Poster of the Month: December 2009

The Best There Is At What I Do

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Mutie View Post
    If she returns during a period when everyone is wearing a costume, she should have a costume that is a modern take on her classic Marvel Girl costume.
    I'd love to see her don her miniskirt again (without the mask of course), but I'm not sure it'd be appropriate. Then again, I don't think a thong or corset are very appropriate either.

I love this Jean plain Jane!!!
    TEAM TEEN JEAN 2013!!

*2,000,000th X-Books Forum post goes to...Yours truly Vivica Kang*

I'd love to see her don her miniskirt again (without the mask of course), but I'm not sure it'd be appropriate. Then again, I don't think a thong or corset are very appropriate either.
    I can see that. On one hand, you know she is Marvel Lady now, and her costume demands to reflect her maturity; on the other, the Phoenix Force helped her discover her sexuality, and to be finally free of the Phoenix Force would be symbolic of her sexual liberation, independence, and breaking the sexism paradigm of "men can be sexually free and it's acceptable, but women will be scorned." (I'm sure it has a name.) We saw a bit of this in X-Men: Forever, by Chris Claremont.

I dont think its appropriate (or practical) and she's too old for that. It seemed better suited for her youth but not now as an adult. I would say its kinda dated as well

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Mutie View Post
    I can see that. On one hand, you know she is Marvel Lady now, and her costume demands to reflect her maturity; on the other, the Phoenix Force helped her discover her sexuality, and to be finally free of the Phoenix Force would be symbolic of her sexual liberation, independence, and breaking the sexism paradigm of "men can be sexually free and it's acceptable, but women will be scorned." (I'm sure it has a name.) We saw a bit of this in X-Men: Forever, by Chris Claremont.
    Correction, Marvel Lady
    Seriously though, you are right that her costume should reflect her maturity.

Correction, Marvel Lady
    Seriously though, you are right that her costume should reflect her maturity.
    I knew I should've italicized "Lady."

Case in point: Ms. Marvel. One of the reasons no one can take her seriously in and out of the Marvel Universe is because she parades around in a bathing suit. (It's not flattering enough to be called a "swimsuit.") She doesn't look powerful or authoritative. Failing that, which would be expected of someone vying for that top-level of fame and respect, she's also not sexy or bad-a* looking.