Page 504 of 668 FirstFirst ... 4404454494500501502503504505506507508514554604 ... LastLast
Results 7,546 to 7,560 of 10014
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hariel0079 View Post
    I see that too but the problem is also Rachel wasn't around for a lot of jeans events either so it wouldn't work well either

Perhaps storms mind
    Well nobody was around when she ate the star, but that was still in the montage. I suppose they didn't want to bring in the Phoenix just yet, but it would have been a way to let her relive all the moments directly instead of hearing them second hand. Plus I hate Beast and I don't like him being given such a huge role here.

Quote Originally Posted by Hariel0079 View Post
    I see that too but the problem is also Rachel wasn't around for a lot of jeans events either so it wouldn't work well either

Perhaps storms mind
    The thing that should have happened was for teen-Jean to have downloaded all of her memories from Rachel's holoempathic necklace, which she left in her care just incase she died again. Having her download the memories from Beast, who wasn't there for everything, seams weak to me; if that's what happened, after all she said she felt it her death. I hope this get explored next issue and we get to see her meet Rachel when Warren meets NuAngel.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOff View Post
    Well nobody was around when she ate the star, but that was still in the montage. I suppose they didn't want to bring in the Phoenix just yet, but it would have been a way to let her relive all the moments directly instead of hearing them second hand. Plus I hate Beast and I don't like him being given such a huge role here.
    True, what I'm saying or rather pointing out is that Beast was around Jean the most along with Scott and Bobby so they would know the most regardless what many feel.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Greatest_Username View Post
    Don't feed the troll, his facts are all jumbled up.
    He's forgetting that Cyclops didn't want Emma after Jean died, he was mind controlled into loving her. He's also forgetting that Jean was a fantastic wife to Scott. She spent 12 years in the future with him raising a kid he had with ANOTHER WOMAN. And then there's that time he supposedly died and she didn't hook up with Wolvie at the drop of a pen and instead never gave up on him. Meanwhile all Scott ever did was obsess over Jean.
    They are so ... part of each other, one can't realy be complete without the other, I call that love, even if it's drive them crazy, even if it's deadly!

I guess the fact that some of us grow with them beeing a couple through tv shows, movies, games, first comics we start to read, that for the hoplessly romantic like me, a definitive break up would just be like juliet dumping romeo. They have always be some kind of donald and daisy duck^^
    (with logan as Gladstone Gander).

Now as an adult, I read their stories, and I can appreciate the drama, the tragedy, the passion between them. I even liked the psychic affair, and for some time, the scemma phase (cause I love that bitch^^)

As a grown up, I get that relationships aren't fairy tales, and we need sexual plots, cheating, drama, and psychology to appreciate and identify.
    But deep inside I just want them together no matter what happends, cause that's also happening in real life, when you feel you find the one, no matter the roads you'll take, you hope you'll end up together at the end.
    Last edited by aries27; 01-02-2013 at 09:06 PM.

BANNED

Well, the problem with casting Jean and Scott as some sort of great romance is that their story basically just reads like one long epilogue. Nobody really cared about it until it reached its height in the Dark Phoenix Saga, but most of the moments that people associate with the couple didn't happen until after she came back. Certainly if you were plotting the entire story in advance, you would never write it that way, and if you look at any adaptation they're always set in this weird timeline which is presumably contemporaneous with the current comics but taking place before Jean became the Phoenix, a more natural progression to be sure.

I don't think the stories ever give a good sense of why these two are a good fit for each other or why they should be together. I mean, at the beginning it was more just a matter of the team leader needing a girlfriend, and there not being anyone else to choose from, certainly not the stuff of little girls' fantasies. At times it feels like the only thing that's bringing them together is a joint delusion that if they just act the part and pretend that it's some great romance, then it will turn into one in time, never a healthy attitude. And the relationship does seem to shackle her character completely, since when forced into the role of dutiful partner she can never really show off all of those lively and dynamic qualities that make her attractive in the first place. Cyclops too works much better when he's with Emma, though frankly that particular angle was carried on far past its shelf life as well.

A Goddess amongst mortals celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOff View Post
    Well, the problem with casting Jean and Scott as some sort of great romance is that their story basically just reads like one long epilogue. Nobody really cared about it until it reached its height in the Dark Phoenix Saga, but most of the moments that people associate with the couple didn't happen until after she came back. Certainly if you were plotting the entire story in advance, you would never write it that way, and if you look at any adaptation they're always set in this weird timeline which is presumably contemporaneous with the current comics but taking place before Jean became the Phoenix, a more natural progression to be sure.

I don't think the stories ever give a good sense of why these two are a good fit for each other or why they should be together. I mean, at the beginning it was more just a matter of the team leader needing a girlfriend, and there not being anyone else to choose from, certainly not the stuff of little girls' fantasies. At times it feels like the only thing that's bringing them together is a joint delusion that if they just act the part and pretend that it's some great romance, then it will turn into one in time, never a healthy attitude. And the relationship does seem to shackle her character completely, since when forced into the role of dutiful partner she can never really show off all of those lively and dynamic qualities that make her attractive in the first place. Cyclops too works much better when he's with Emma, though frankly that particular angle was carried on far past its shelf life as well.

Agree with this completely, people talk about how GREAT Scott/Emma are/were but they leave out how much of her own character was sacrificed in order for that relationship to function Emma became EVERYTHING people claimed Jean was with Scott except with snark, and the little detail that Jean was never as nurturing to him as Emma, Jean called him on his crap and he merely ignored or trivialized anytime Emma questioned him. Emma/Scott was interesting AT FIRST because of the dynamic of one how opposite they were and two how it played off the differences of relationship to Jean. But after awhile she just became the woman he was "with" until Jean returned a fact that people oddly forget or ignore. Scott and Emma worked as long as they did IMHO is because Marvel liked them together and what they were able to get away with in Scott's characterization after his transformation was complete Emma was thoroughly booted to the side and made another one of his scorned exes.

BANNED

So I just went into a comic book store today for the first time in about fifteen years, it was actually pretty cool since the store was laid out like one of those OG-style used book shops practically overflowing with merchandise as opposed to modern bookstores that are basically just cafes with a couple shelves here and there. I'm wondering if I should just start going there instead of just ordering stuff online, at least then I can Byrne steal stuff I'm peripherally interested in instead of downloading it, and have a somewhat cleaner conscience. Supporting local business is always a plus even if it will cost slightly more.

So, my Jeaniacs, what do you all want to see from our girl? For me:

-A new costume choice that is green and yellow or red and yellow or a combo of the three

-More moments with Logan and Storm

-Steadily rising emotional distance from Scott Summerses of any age

-More of the take-charge attitude that presages her older self's self-realization as heir to Charles Xavier

-No romance with any Beasts, Warrens, Icemen or Cyclopes

-An encounter with the Phoenix (sorry, but it is Jean's and I love it)

-One really bitchin' tantrum featuring flying cars

-A moment or two that makes everyone think, "Oh fuck, Dark Jean" and scares the piss out of everyone, but turns out to just be a really angry Jean who eventually just calms down.
    Favorites: Jean Grey, Storm, The Wolverine, The Iceman, The Beast, The Rogue, Kid Omega, Oya, Broo, Kid Gladiator, Mags, Pryde
    The Diary of a Supa-Cool Nerd!

Veteran Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

I don't want Logan (or Scott for that matter) anywhere near Jeen. Basically I want to see Jeen become the Jean that we all love (all of her memories, experiences, friendships, etc..)

First time posting, but a long, long time Jean fan. So far I'm happy with Teen Jean (though I would love 'real' Jean back), but in the back of my mind I'm already wondering when they're going to do a 'Uh-oh Jean went crazy again' storyline. If anything, I think that's what's tarnished her character is that everyone wants to do their version of the Dark Phoenix saga and Jean (and the Phoenix) are mainly thought of as crazy/unstable all-consuming big bads and people have forgotten all those other wonderful sides of Jean.

Veteran Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by peanutsinspace View Post
    First time posting, but a long, long time Jean fan. So far I'm happy with Teen Jean (though I would love 'real' Jean back), but in the back of my mind I'm already wondering when they're going to do a 'Uh-oh Jean went crazy again' storyline. If anything, I think that's what's tarnished her character is that everyone wants to do their version of the Dark Phoenix saga and Jean (and the Phoenix) are mainly thought of as crazy/unstable all-consuming big bads and people have forgotten all those other wonderful sides of Jean.
    Welcome to the Jean thread!
    I'm thinking that's what is being planned too. On the note of people thinking Jean is crazy/unstable, they're forgetting the real reason she became Dark Phoenix in the first place. It's a middle aged man with a pedo-stache and a busty blonde woman.
    Last edited by The_Greatest_Username; 01-03-2013 at 08:28 PM. Reason: awful, terrible typos

First time posting, but a long, long time Jean fan. So far I'm happy with Teen Jean (though I would love 'real' Jean back)***SNIP***
    Teen Jean, is the real, Jean... Only younger
    Last edited by ZNOP; 01-03-2013 at 07:30 PM.
    Hear me X-men! No longer am I the woman you once knew! I am fire and life incarnate! Now and forever...

I AM PHOENIX!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Egg View Post
    -One really bitchin' tantrum featuring flying cars

-A moment or two that makes everyone think, "Oh fuck, Dark Jean" and scares the piss out of everyone, but turns out to just be a really angry Jean who eventually just calms down.
    I'd really like something like this. There hasn't been too much action in this series yet. Throwing Scott and Magneto is nice but I want a psychic maelstrom.

Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by ZNOP View Post
    Teen Jean, is the real, Jean... Only younger
    Oh I know she's the real Jean but for me, I want *my* real Jean. Yes teen Jean is the younger Jean Grey but I would have loved the return of Jean Grey to be the Jean that we've all grown up with, who's gone through so much and who we've rooted for. The Jean that we're familiar with, the Jean we should have received when they said they were bringing her back to the 616.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Greatest_Username View Post
    Welcome to the Jean thread!
    I'm thinking that's what is being planned too. On the note of people thinking Jean is crazy/unstable, they're forgetting the real reason she became Dark Phoenix in the first place. It's a middle aged man with a pedo-stache and a busty blonde woman.
    It's funny you mentioned that, I was talking with a friend and she was telling me how she could see Emma's viewpoint about being concerned about Phoenix/Jean and how destructive Jean is. I gently informed her that if it weren't for Emma and Mastermind messing with Jean there may have been a very different outcome regarding the Phoenix.

Delete that last entry... It has nothing to do with the ineffable Jean Grey!
    Last edited by ZNOP; 01-04-2013 at 11:27 AM.
    Hear me X-men! No longer am I the woman you once knew! I am fire and life incarnate! Now and forever...

I AM PHOENIX!