Page 494 of 668 FirstFirst ... 394444484490491492493494495496497498504544594 ... LastLast
Results 7,396 to 7,410 of 10014
    BANNED

So I realized that I kind of hate the X-Men right now, not just the Dear Leader but the whole sorry lot of them. Bunch of uptight, self-righteous pricks crowing about equality and justice when none of them even understand the meaning of those words. I hope once Jean gets her memories back, she realizes that her association with them has done nothing but cause her pain and suffering, not to mention hold her back from achieving her full potential as a hero. She needs to strike out on her own, and leave this stale and stagnant franchise behind forever.

Yeah, that's always been the problem with the X franchise. They can't really win lest they lose their schtick and become another super hero group with automatic origin stories. And the persecuted minority complex in the books (and in some cases on the boards) while fair to an extant and usually just in jest does get boring after a while. Wanda said as much in UA and I was surprised to find I rather agree with her.

It will be interesting what Jean decides to do when she sees the full scope of her life. It looks like she's getting pretty much all of it and she can't really deny that sticking to "the dream" hasn't done her too many favors and being revered as mutantdom's Virgian Mary isn't much of a consolation prize.

Quote Originally Posted by ariwl1 View Post
    Elegance, thy name is Jean.

love the colors

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOff View Post
    So I realized that I kind of hate the X-Men right now, not just the Dear Leader but the whole sorry lot of them. Bunch of uptight, self-righteous pricks crowing about equality and justice when none of them even understand the meaning of those words. I hope once Jean gets her memories back, she realizes that her association with them has done nothing but cause her pain and suffering, not to mention hold her back from achieving her full potential as a hero. She needs to strike out on her own, and leave this stale and stagnant franchise behind forever.
    Yeah, that's always been the problem with the X franchise. They can't really win lest they lose their schtick and become another super hero group with automatic origin stories. And the persecuted minority complex in the books (and in some cases on the boards) while fair to an extant and usually just in jest does get boring after a while. Wanda said as much in UA and I was surprised to find I rather agree with her.

It will be interesting what Jean decides to do when she sees the full scope of her life. It looks like she's getting pretty much all of it and she can't really deny that sticking to "the dream" hasn't done her too many favors and being revered as mutantdom's Virgian Mary isn't much of a consolation prize.

Thank you!!! Completely agree with this and why I agreed with Wanda too.

BANNED

In practical terms if the franchise keeps going down this route, there won't be much of a role for Jean to play anyways. Her philosophy on mutant relations has always basically just been the same as Xavier's, but of course that is quite a naive and idealistic viewpoint. I don't necessary see that as a drawback though, sometimes a little optimism and good faith go a long way to healing wounds, and compared to the sort of militant reactionary philosophy that the X-Men seem to be adhering to these days, it's most certainly an improvement. I do sort of like the idea of Jean serving as a public face for mutants if they ever decide to go for some rapprochement with the rest of humanity, but she obviously can't do that as a teenager. Xavier definitely was grooming her as his successor, though he must have thought that he needed a male figurehead for the sake of appearance and legitimacy, with Jean effectively pulling the strings behind the scenes, a role which she proved a miserable failure at. Now that her younger self is learning these lessons early on, I am interested in seeing how her attitude changes, certainly she should realize that she is the one that everyone is counting on and that she can't step aside now to let her idiotic teammates run the show anymore.
    Last edited by PwrdOff; 12-30-2012 at 11:39 AM.

I found this haunting sketch of Jean by one of my favorite artists, Jae Lee.

And here's an awesome one of Scott and Jean by Jorge Molina.

In practical terms if the franchise keeps going down this route, there won't be much of a role for Jean to play anyways. Her philosophy on mutant relations has always basically just been the same as Xavier's, but of course that is quite a naive and idealistic viewpoint. I don't necessary see that as a drawback though, sometimes a little optimism and good faith go a long way to healing wounds, and compared to the sort of militant reactionary philosophy that the X-Men seem to be adhering to these days, it's most certainly an improvement. I do sort of like the idea of Jean serving as a public face for mutants if they ever decide to go for some rapprochement with the rest of humanity, but she obviously can't do that as a teenager. Xavier definitely was grooming her as his successor, though he must have thought that he needed a male figurehead for the sake of appearance and legitimacy, with Jean effectively pulling the strings behind the scenes, a role which she proved a miserable failure at. Now that her younger self is learning these lessons early on, I am interested in seeing how her attitude changes, certainly she should realize that she is the one that everyone is counting on and that she can't step aside now to let her idiotic teammates run the show anymore.
    With Marvel NOW it seems to be the main point of address. AvX in it's own sense was the build up of this. I'd go back and say even Schism where now we have to factions that seemingly want the same thing. The argument in question happens to be the right "process" to go about it

The evolution of Jean by Alan Davis.

(Tumblr is the best, haha.)

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    The evolution of Jean by Alan Davis.

(Tumblr is the best, haha.)

Nice, I'm wondering how jean will react in issue 5 of ANXM

Indeed. By the same token Martin Luther King was an idealist as he wasn't advocating for special treatment; just for everyone to have equal rights and chances to succeed on their own merits.

Everyone talks about the 05 being teens but except for Bobby most of them are just a breath away from being legal adults. Hank almost surely is already. It's fun watching them tell the adults to sod off.

Great picture finds guys.

My biggest wonder is what Bendis plans on doing with Jean in the future. He obviously has a madon for her since he comically put her in Moonknight. Taking away the phoenix force was a major aspect of her character (in adult form)....the way this version is going, she won't even have the opportunity to be Phoenix- The Bendis way...which makes me think she'll get tied to something even more convoluted in the future. (Hes the one that suggested an Ironfist/Wanda/Phoenix relation). What kind of over the top Jean will we get from Bendis?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by infernohara View Post
    My biggest wonder is what Bendis plans on doing with Jean in the future. He obviously has a madon for her since he comically put her in Moonknight. Taking away the phoenix force was a major aspect of her character (in adult form)....the way this version is going, she won't even have the opportunity to be Phoenix- The Bendis way...which makes me think she'll get tied to something even more convoluted in the future. (Hes the one that suggested an Ironfist/Wanda/Phoenix relation). What kind of over the top Jean will we get from Bendis?
    I'm sure Bendis knows that nobody cares about his "creative" additions to the Phoenix mythos, and it would certainly be a welcome move if they just retconned all that crap out and simplified it to the original conception. I'm still very pessimistic about this book, I just don't trust Bendis to do right by Jean, especially if you look at his track record with female characters. I mean, even now when people are gushing about her portrayal, how many lines has Jean even had over the space of four whole issues?

Everyone talks about the 05 being teens but except for Bobby most of them are just a breath away from being legal adults. Hank almost surely is already. It's fun watching them tell the adults to sod off.
    Next to Jean I'm really enjoying O5 Beast.
    Risen

I mean, even now when people are gushing about her portrayal, how many lines has Jean even had over the space of four whole issues?
    Well Bendis has a lot to deal with esp in the intro arc (Furry Beast, O5, Extinction Team, JG School Faculty). He did say he sometimes has to hold off on the Jean stuff and move on to other characters since he can't stop writing her and surprise how much this book is about her. If the phoenix comes back in Jean's life in any way I hope Bendis will find a way to make it feel fresh. Though not for a while. ANXM #5 comes out this week :)
    Risen

While I've enjoyed Jean in her moments most of the 05 haven't had much to do. I forget Warren's even there most of the time. So far really it's been adult Scott and Hank's show.