Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Washington.... the state not the place with the monuments.

Todd McFarlane (my hero) was such a killer artist. I loved his art, but even I knew his writing was so, so. He had some good ideas, though. The story about how the press influences public opinion. Plus, you had him draw the transition from Wolverine's old, new brown costume back to the old, new Yellow and black costume. i didn't even notice that until recently.

He did draw the best Spider-man I ever saw and I still read some that stuff once in a while and de-value the comics every time I read them so much.

Something that is worth reading about:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=42173

I do, imho, he's one of the best to ever draw spidey...

I would love for him to come back and do an arc, or at least some covers...

Quote Originally Posted by Fatguy View Post
    I like his Spidey, definitely.

But if I had the choice, Erik Larsen would be my guy to bring back.
    I always liked Erik Larsen's art more. Both of them were excellent Spidey artists, same deal with Mark Bagley. Those three had such a good grasp on drawing the character. You would constantly see their art used on merchandise and video game covers. I still wouldn't put any of those guys ahead of Steve Ditko or John Romita sr.

Sits on the shelf! President Kang's Avatar

Yes, I was one of the millions who bought Todd McFarlane's adjectiveless Spider-Man when I was a kid, I remember it was an intense read so good for him for doing a Spider-horror story which is kind of rare. Also the drawings were really purty. For some reason, decades later, the one panel that sticks in my head from "Torment" is Spidey crouching in the hallway bathroom after getting the bejesus smacked out of him in the final issue with "Honey, I'm home." Good comic booking if it hasn't left my head in a long while.

His Spawn & Haunt poses always seemed derivative of his Spider-Man run.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	haunt1.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	105569

I love the way he drew Wolverine in that Wendigo story arc.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

I love McFarlane's Spider-Man. I'll never forget just how fresh his take on Spider-Man felt at the time. He broke out of the Romita 'in-house' take and put a modern twist on the quirky Ditko style. He re-emphasized the 'spider' over the 'man.' His love of monsters served the title well, as guys like the Lizard and Wendigo never looked scarier. He also had a knack for humor with Peter and MJ's exaggerated styles and expressions. During the Michelinie/McFarlane era, ASM was equal parts threatening and fun.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Here is a rare diamond in the rough:

Last edited by Darthfury78; 06-05-2013 at 06:52 AM.

Certainly re-energized and help redesign the characters look and feel. Still love a lot of his work on the character:

And his rendering of the black costume was fantastic!

Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.

He made Spider-Man visually distinct again (whereas Romita, Sr.'s version, while very good, makes Spidey fit in a little too nicely with other mainstream superheroes).
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

BB

Quote Originally Posted by dogwelder View Post
    Its kind of sickening that his name gets mentioned more then Gil Kane or Ross Andru.....
    Agree, I'm not a huge Todd fan but I love Gil Kane and Ross Andru's work. To me those are the best images of Spider-Man and Peter Parker I've ever had the pleasure of reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus.Obesus View Post
    Agree, I'm not a huge Todd fan but I love Gil Kane and Ross Andru's work. To me those are the best images of Spider-Man and Peter Parker I've ever had the pleasure of reading.
    I think the discrepancy is because Kane and Andru perfected the 'house style' while McFarlane reinvented Spidey's visual altogether.

Which isn't to say Kane and Andru don't deserve to be right there with McFarlane among the greats!

Four degrees higher Cheesedique's Avatar

I have to say it was jarring when those first McFarlane ASM issues began arriving in the mail. I wondered what all the lines and crosshatching on the character's faces was supposed to be.

But McFarlane broke the mold for Spider-man artists--and it really seems like his love for the character came through in his art. A lot more so then some of the other later Image founders on their Marvel books.
    Superman sucks. Batman rules. Spider-man's the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus.Obesus View Post
    I really enjoy Kane's and Andru's work with the character -- but McFarlane is right up there with them for me. All of their work is interesting and entertaining, I think.
    Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.