Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Pipeline - Mar 22, 2011

Augie has thoughts on some of the C2E2 news from last weekend, a theory on why lighting should play a role in judging Wonder Woman's costume, some adventures in comics marketing and more digital comics mayhem.

Full article here.

Talking

Reworking Wonder Woman's costume.
    CHECK IT!
    =s=

I believe the numbering approach you mention is sometimes referred to as "The Hellboy Method"

everything is a mini-series, they are basically chronological, but every 4-6 issues you get a new #1 and a reasonable jumping on point...

way less silly than the .1 stuff.

ps. your thoughts on the new Ghostrider #1, being numbered .1? Was this all just a way for marvel to have two #1-ish issues?
    Currently Reading:
    Zot! Omnibus

Current Pull List:
    DC: Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps
    Marvel:Deadpool, New Avengers, Ultimate Spiderman
    Trades: DMZ, Invincible, Walking Dead

Its not about the colours. Yes, the colours are too bright but its more than that. Like you say, straps. How can she run in those heels? Won't she sweat in that spandex? Who wants to peel that off their skin at night? How does an ancient culture like the amazons discover spandex? Why would a warrior woman choose spandex and not practical armour based on ancient designs? This looks like she's gone into a costume shop and asked for 'sexy amazon-medium'. There is no character in it.

I have always thought that it would be better if comics weren't published religiously every month. I think it would work if a series took a break for a couple of months while the next story was written and drawn like Hellboy as the previous poster said.

Instead of having to buy loads of comics every month to keep up with what's happening we would be saving some money and maybe be able to try other series too. It would certainly be more appealing to new readers too who are used to gaps between TV series and movie sequels rather than a continuous stream of 7 or 8 different titles for a single character.

Ignoring the debate over using the Jim Lee design over the classic outfit ( the classic I favour strongly) I have to agree with the spandexy issue.

I'd have favoured a look closer to leather, which at least is compatible with a more ancient culture. Even the bodice could be done as a rigid/semi-rigid bonded leather (simulating leather shrunk-wrapped over a metal form for example a.k.a. hardened leather)

I'm still hoping the Big 2 start putting out their comics like manga publishers in Japan. A few big monthly magazines with several series, and then once enough content is produced for a series, release a collected edition.
    20th Century Boys 7 Billion Needles Akira Battle Angel Alita Fullmetal Alchemist GANTZ Negima Oh My Goddess Ooku, Yotsuba&!
    Amazing Spider-Man Batman Inc BPRD DMZ Fables Hellboy Orc Stain

Quote Originally Posted by skinshark View Post
    Reworking Wonder Woman's costume.
    CHECK IT!
    Damn. I've just gone from 'not minding the new look too much', to hating it with a vengence.

Yeah, even if you want to get away from star-spangled "panties" as a look, they could have also used pteruges, the leather-flap-skirt-kind of thing you see on Roman and Greek armor.

Blue with silver-metal inlaid stars would have looked good, and been far more authentic. And they still could have used the "panties" underneath.

I really have been managing to rain in the inner geek with this. I've come round to the Thor and Cap' costumes and love Smallville to bits so I have to step back and agree with Augie. All you can see from this is the actual design out of setting. I do think red boots could have been better and I feel the 'metal' bits are over stylised and plastic looking but it's definitely Wonder Woman and we should wait to see if the finished product turns out good or bad.

The costume *design* I don't mind. Red boots (as proved upthread) make the costume more balanced.

My main problem is the *execution*. The costume looks made on the cheap. The metal parts look like plastic, and are poorly attached to the fabric parts. The "WW" on the boots look like they were a last minute addition that don't match the decoration underneath.
    Claudio Pozas
    www.enworld.org/Pozas

Publishing a comic as a series of mini-series does have the advantages of periodic #1s and convenient jumping on points, but it does have the disadvantage of providing convenient jumping off points. Someone who is not crazy about a particular storyline or creator will probably be more likely to skip a mini-series than they are a few issues of an ongoing if they've got, say, the last 250 issues of that title.

I think that collector mentality that keeps some people buying a title even when they don't like it just to keep their unbroken run going, is the reason why we'll never see the end of ongoing numbering in comics.

Default Indie Comics Magazine marketing worked

Well, Augie, "no huge overprint, no digital version and no back issue sales" is working for Indie Comics Magazine just fine! We handily surpassed Diamond's minimums with #1 and #2. Neighborhood and online comic shop owners appreciate a product that is unique to their stores. Added value: I don't have a stack of boxes in my garage waiting for online sales. The creators are getting paid. Sounds like plenty of readers are able to preorder the book just fine.

Diamond has become more picky about which indie titles they choose to carry and fewer people are bothering to stop by their local comic shop. We saw a marketing opportunity. It worked.

It's not like Indie Comics Magazine is hard to find. Some of the online comic shops still have Indie Comics Magazine #1 for sale, including Things from Another World:
    http://www.tfaw.com/Comics/Profile/I...ine-1___378528

Indie Comics Magazine #2 arrives in stores next month. I guess you'll just have to put your IPhone down and look for it on the shelves!

http://indiecomicsmagazine.com

I have more issues with the new Spidey outfit than the new WW one. Besides, it can always change. I'm more worried about the show tanking than what the costume looks like.
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

Hi Gary,

That's great news that you're making your money back an selling what you have. And congrats on beating Diamond's minimums.

But what happens when word of mouth spreads and other people want to read the magazine, too? Where's the room for growth, when you've made the material inaccessible to the potential readers? What if there are hundreds of customers willing to pay you for the magazine, but who can't get it? Are you hoping they'll like the articles in the second issue just as much? And since almost every second issue is ordered by retailers in lower numbers than the first issue -- months in advance -- aren't you painting yourself into a corner?

I want a comics magazine to succeed. I really do. I just don't see how not being accessible to as many people as possible will help you.

-Augie