Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37
  1. #1
    Mild-Mannered Reporter
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    29,017

    Default CBR: C2E2: "Supreme Power" Gets Real

    Up-and-coming writer Kyle Higgins explains how his just-announced relaunch of Marvel's MAX take on superheroes will clash with our reality in a story that redefines Hyperion and Doctor Spectrum with a clean slate.


    Full article here.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    225

    Default

    Great... nice to see Marvel coming back to their senses and returning this series to the MAX universe AFTER JMS has already left!

    Seriously, what did they get from making this series a regular MU title? It sure wasn't sales like they said they were going to get. Nope, they got an incomplete run of Squadron Supreme, a colossal screw-up with Ultimate Power and an abomination with Chaykin's 12-issues. Lets add the horrible Guggenheim mini-series to that, too. I wish this was picking up from #18 of the original MAX run and not from everything that came after.

  3. #3
    Gamebreaker Wellman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,613

    Default

    I agree, I do wish they could go back to the MAX storyline and ignore the rest that followed including JMS' halfhearted Supreme Squadron run that started on the Marvel Knights imprint.


    But I do get why they can't, it would be insulting the Chaykin, who is a great creator and obviously got roped into some editorial crap (possibly the same type that ultimately drove JMS away from the franchise) if they did so. At least the new guy seems to have a good grasp of what made the original series good and the interview gives me hope for the new series.


    All we can do now is hope that he doesn't drop the ball.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    The milky way galaxy
    Posts
    190

    Default

    I loved JMS's run. I thought it was just perfect. I did not enjoy Chaykin's run or the Ultimate Universe crossover, neither one felt like they fit into the world that JMS had developed.

    I hope that this new creative team can recapture some of that magic that made the early parts of JMS's run so good.

    I wonder what they will do with Nighthawk. I felt that he was ignored in chaykin's run and it seems that they don't have a plan for him in this miniseries either.

  5. #5
    Elder Member Blade X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    10,921

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tridon View Post
    Great... nice to see Marvel coming back to their senses and returning this series to the MAX universe AFTER JMS has already left!

    Seriously, what did they get from making this series a regular MU title? It sure wasn't sales like they said they were going to get. Nope, they got an incomplete run of Squadron Supreme, a colossal screw-up with Ultimate Power and an abomination with Chaykin's 12-issues. Lets add the horrible Guggenheim mini-series to that, too. I wish this was picking up from #18 of the original MAX run and not from everything that came after.
    If you look at the sales of the latter issues of the original SP MAX series, you would see that sales were quickly falling, which is why they decided to try expand the books audience from the very narrow MAX line to the PARENTAL ADVISORY label. SP/SS didn't flop because the book left the MAX line, it flopped because people were most likely getting bored with the whole deconstruction of archtype superheroes. Been there, done that too death. The new SP MAX series won't sell much better either.

  6. #6
    33408 is the other way ian33407's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,111

    Default

    Just loved the interview..: something which isn't so much talking about these days : the limits of fiction (see the earlies Silver Surfer stories when he starts to feed the world, or the gulf Frank Miller opened when he started talking about Maffia and the realities around the corner) and this approach is linking the title to some others books like Peter Milligan' THE PROGRAM ( something that DC is afraid to do right now, except with T.H.U.N.D.E.R AGENTS, but kinda softly) or Warren Ellis' SUPERGOD, which is probably the goal, and all in all a very good thing...though I supposed Marvel would save that for his up-coming MARVEL MAN..

    Four-issues is kinda straight to me, I hope there will be more if this one fulfill his promises..

    (Till I'm also a huge fan of the original Supreme Squadron, and I'd love to see more about them, especially a prequel.)
    Last edited by ian33407; 03-21-2011 at 08:42 AM.
    " Things are going to slide in all directions "
    Leonard Cohen - The Future

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wellman View Post
    I agree, I do wish they could go back to the MAX storyline and ignore the rest that followed including JMS' halfhearted Supreme Squadron run that started on the Marvel Knights imprint.


    But I do get why they can't, it would be insulting the Chaykin, who is a great creator and obviously got roped into some editorial crap (possibly the same type that ultimately drove JMS away from the franchise) if they did so. At least the new guy seems to have a good grasp of what made the original series good and the interview gives me hope for the new series.


    All we can do now is hope that he doesn't drop the ball.
    It's a continuation of Squadron Supreme and Chaykin only in that it uses one story beat to setup what our new status quo is.

  8. #8
    Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    46,335

    Default

    just this week i picked up Squadron Supreme: Power to the People and Bright Shining Lies. having spent a good portion of my salary on said books i feel entitled to call it some of the worst crap i've ever had the displeasure of reading. is there some reason why we needed to be reminded of Tucker Ford's arrested development and Kate Mora's infidelity every few pages? Wolf, Ruler of the Winds? who can i punch in the face for that one? there were points in the story where the dialogue just plain stopped making sense.

    ex.
    http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/2...yperion009.jpg
    http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/2...yperion010.jpg
    http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/2...79-emil002.jpg

    ^this and everything leading up to it was anti-climactic. i must be missing something in the punchline.


    and they didn't even bother to explain what happened to ****ing Tom Thumb or Redstone.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

  9. #9
    Senior Member DrDoom616's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,272

    Default

    Well I won't be investing money into buying it after what happened, leaving a story unfinished and then giving us absolutely no resolution, moving on to Ultimate Power and the abysmal second volume.

    Nope, too late, the damage is done.

  10. #10
    The Professional marvell2100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Where Giants Live.
    Posts
    21,497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Higgins View Post
    It's a continuation of Squadron Supreme and Chaykin only in that it uses one story beat to setup what our new status quo is.
    Welcome Mr. Higgins and good luck with the relaunch.
    We Want You! Join Us At CBR:Age of Marvels!

    CBB. We March Thru Your Thread With A Million MoFos.

  11. #11
    Chi-Town's Finest JurassicParkIsAnAwesomeMovie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Chicago...The Greatest City In the World
    Posts
    750

    Default

    Glad to see Supreme Power back. Too bad JMS is long gone.
    CHICAGO BEARS 2011: 1-1

  12. #12
    FRENCH Frank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Antartica
    Posts
    10,356

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    just this week i picked up Squadron Supreme: Power to the People and Bright Shining Lies. having spent a good portion of my salary on said books i feel entitled to call it some of the worst crap i've ever had the displeasure of reading. is there some reason why we needed to be reminded of Tucker Ford's arrested development and Kate Mora's infidelity every few pages? Wolf, Ruler of the Winds? who can i punch in the face for that one? there were points in the story where the dialogue just plain stopped making sense.

    ex.
    http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/2...yperion009.jpg
    http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/2...yperion010.jpg
    http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/2...79-emil002.jpg

    ^this and everything leading up to it was anti-climactic. i must be missing something in the punchline.


    and they didn't even bother to explain what happened to ****ing Tom Thumb or Redstone.
    hahahaha! That looks so bad! Better stick with Supreme Power and not trying Squadron Supreme.

    I don't know about the new series, though. It doesn't seem to have the kind of interesting artist on board, especially a realistic artist that the concept would need.
    Legato - Frank, Calm Down Your Nerd Rage!

  13. #13
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central Wakanda
    Posts
    17,276

    Default

    I'm looking forward to this!!!

  14. #14
    Senior Member horsehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,418

    Default

    The Chaykin run is just horrible, one of the worst comics arcs I have read - who would have thought it, Squadron Supreme + Ultimate Nick Fury sounds great.

    I have do disagree about Guggenheim, I think his Nighthawk vs Hyperion mini was by far the best mini out of all the Supreme Power ones and is the only writer who's work stands alongside JMSs.

  15. #15
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Chaykin's run was quite possibly the worst 12 issue series I have ever had the displeasure of reading. The art was horrific, the story telling was nonsense, it took something like six issues before Hyperion showed up, and considering the JMS legacy, it was an outright abomination from the start. I could tell after the first page of issue one that we were in trouble when the newscaster said something like "the battle between Redstone is still talked about in hushed whispers...". If SS was supposed to be about realism, why would a news reporter speak like that?

    Ultimate Power was also utter crap as they seemed to be more interested in Nick Fury than the SS.

    Supreme Power to this day remains one of my favourite all time series. The foundation that JMS laid was some of the best story telling I have seen in a comic series. Like others, I wish that they would just continue from that point and ignore all the crap from the Chaykin/non-JMS era.

    Hopefully they get this four issue series right and we get more of Nighthawk, Zarda and some of the more interesting story lines JMS appeared to be heading towards before leaving.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •