Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Phil Hester At C2E2: "Flashpoint is going to change the character."

Hester now talks about Wonder Woman -- "Wonder Woman is on a bubble right now. We know things are off with her timeline and existence, which is great for a writer, because you can do anything you want with those characters." He says he's on a breakneck run until Flashpoint -- he wants to tell a full-out Wonder Woman story and not hold back at all. "We've got nothing to lose at this point with this character, because Flashpoint is going to change the character."
    http://www.newsarama.com/comics/c2e2...ns-110319.html

Let the speculation begin.

Another minor tidbit:

What about Donna Troy? Hester is told "I'm not even allowed to think about Donna Troy." And Wonder Girl? Hester: "That's all after Flashpoint." Next seven issues take place over a three-hour period, that's how intense it is.
    Last edited by Free-Man; 03-19-2011 at 01:44 PM.

Yeah, she is going to be a murdering dictator in Flashpoint...but we knew that.

Sounds like after that event is over...who knows? Maybe Johns will be kind enough to decide which new direction she needs to go...Again.

So I guess I'll still won't be buying any WW for the foreseeable future. Well, maybe I'll look at the Flashpoint mini. I don't know...

Loves the ignore button jason_w's Avatar

After Flashpoint:

"A Bold New Era For The Amazing Amazon!" Complete with an integrated origin from "Odyssey" and an outfit to match the pilot.

yes...THE Wonderman. RealWonderman's Avatar

UGHHH. Does this mean that I HAVE to read Flashpoint then?
    Are you sure that "by the grace of god" you survived? Maybe god was trying to GET you and missed??!!??
    Twitter: Ryan Klaus @RealWonderman

Loves the ignore button jason_w's Avatar

No, just wait for what comes this way after it's over.

yes...THE Wonderman. RealWonderman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jason_w View Post
    no, just wait for what comes this way after it's over.
    good good!!
    Are you sure that "by the grace of god" you survived? Maybe god was trying to GET you and missed??!!??
    Twitter: Ryan Klaus @RealWonderman

I thought the whole reason of the JMS travesty was to "change" the character??? Now she's going to be "changed" by Flashpoint!!
    Somebody stop the ride... I wanna get off.

Quote Originally Posted by raven-sword View Post
    I thought the whole reason of the JMS travesty was to "change" the character??? Now she's going to be "changed" by Flashpoint!!
    Somebody stop the ride... I wanna get off.
    Yeah, that's pretty ridiculous. What's going to happen in the Wonder Woman title between the time that Odyssey ends and Flashpoint ends? There will be a gap of a few months there. Will she have a temporary reboot for a couple of issues, until that gets overwritten by whatever happens in Flashpoint?

What a joke. I hope DC at least has the decency to be a little embarrassed about how badly they're handling this character. If they just stopped for a few minutes and actually put some real THOUGHT into what they wanted to do with the character, rather than throwing together a series of slapdash reboots that never pan out because they're so sloppily put together by people who aren't even committed to seeing their flimsy vision through, they wouldn't need to keep hitting the reset button every 12 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by BnL View Post
    Yeah, that's pretty ridiculous. What's going to happen in the Wonder Woman title between the time that Odyssey ends and Flashpoint ends? There will be a gap of a few months there. Will she have a temporary reboot for a couple of issues, until that gets overwritten by whatever happens in Flashpoint?
    That's a good point. I didn't even think about what would come in-between. I just assumed Odyssey would end around the time Flashpoint starts.

I've always said that I would read WW even if it was just 22 pages of her sitting and watching paint dry so maybe that can be the central plot for these in-between issues! (I do love some good "paint-drying" action.)

But seriously, if they're only waiting around to "re-boot" her again, what is the point?

Quote Originally Posted by raven-sword View Post
    That's a good point. I didn't even think about what would come in-between. I just assumed Odyssey would end around the time Flashpoint starts.

I've always said that I would read WW even if it was just 22 pages of her sitting and watching paint dry so maybe that can be the central plot for these in-between issues! (I do love some good "paint-drying" action.)

But seriously, if they're only waiting around to "re-boot" her again, what is the point?
    I think the last issue of Odyssey comes out the same month as issue 2 of Flashpoint. I assume that whatever reality-altering happens will occur at the end of Flashpoint (which I think is 6 or 7 issues long?), when the timeline is "set right." Wonder Woman is getting her own tie-in mini-series, so I assume most of her involvement in the event will be confined to that. So that leaves a big question mark about what's going to happen in the main Wonder Woman title until the timeline is resolved at the end of Flashpoint. That could be a gap of about 4-5 issues.

Next seven issues take place over a three-hour period, that's how intense it is.
    My persistent gripe with Odyssey is, it's like watching a two-hour TV pilot with month-long commercial breaks.

Even so, Hester could win me with this if he's inventive enough.

BANNED

What a joke. I hope DC at least has the decency to be a little embarrassed about how badly they're handling this character. If they just stopped for a few minutes and actually put some real THOUGHT into what they wanted to do with the character, rather than throwing together a series of slapdash reboots that never pan out because they're so sloppily put together by people who aren't even committed to seeing their flimsy vision through, they wouldn't need to keep hitting the reset button every 12 seconds.
    I think it's a great idea. It shows DC has a plan in place. I love it when one story leads into another. They could ride this train until the status quo mirrors the tv series.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleX View Post
    I think it's a great idea. It shows DC has a plan in place. I love it when one story leads into another. They could ride this train until the status quo mirrors the tv series.
    I don't think this was planned. These are two separate storylines that seemingly intend to rewrite Wonder Woman's history, and they don't intersect, coordinate, or tie-in with each other at all. If it was planned, why wouldn't they at least have had both storylines conclude at the same time?

I also think that trying to mirror a TV series which has not even been greenlit yet would be incredibly short-sighted.

...So actually, maybe that's exactly what DC is going to do!

BANNED

I don't think this was planned. These are two separate storylines that seemingly intend to rewrite Wonder Woman's history, and they don't intersect, coordinate, or tie-in with each other at all.
    You seem certain of this, how do you know?