Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Ha, well maybe they bought into the promotion. 500 copies seemed like a steep incentive to me though, I think they would have gotten a lot more stores to really hype Godzilla if it were say a hundred rather than 500. But it's still pretty cool regardless.

Just on their first go-around, 74 stores to sign up for this. Thirty-seven thousand copies for an IDW book is like Harry Potter numbers for them. And that's just the first printing. They've already announced a second printing with the same promotion.
    Free your soul and let it fly....

Here are some covers from across the net. For issues 3 and 4, I think.

Man those covers look great. I'm really liking everything that I'm reading, and seeing about this. I'm definitely thinking about getting this when it starts coming out.
    "Welcome to the party pal!" - John McClane - Die Hard

Quote Originally Posted by DonC View Post
    Just on their first go-around, 74 stores to sign up for this. Thirty-seven thousand copies for an IDW book is like Harry Potter numbers for them. And that's just the first printing. They've already announced a second printing with the same promotion.
    Wow that is impressive, I'm glad the promotion worked out for them and I really want this book to be a runaway success. I mean it's Godzilla, it deserves to put up monster sales numbers.

And those covers look amazing.

Some more preview art I stumbled across today, honestly the more I see the more I love it.

Wow that is impressive, I'm glad the promotion worked out for them and I really want this book to be a runaway success. I mean it's Godzilla, it deserves to put up monster sales numbers.

And those covers look amazing.

I'm not even a Godzilla fan and I'm interested in reading the book. I'm just torn between getting the monthlies or waiting for the trade paperback.

I grew up loving Godzilla, but I feel like I would get this book even if I didn't have that connection. The art just looks really awesome and I love Powell. I think I'm going to go with the monthlies if only because I've never seen an IDW trade before and I'm not sure what how long they wait between when the series and they publish the trade.

BANNED

It cost 300 dollars?
    I was gonna say what are the costs of getting all 75 issues.

Quote Originally Posted by boyhangover View Post
    I was gonna say what are the costs of getting all 75 issues.
    Ah, yeah I wouldn't spend that either to get all 75, but then again I'm not one for spending more for variant covers to begin with. They're neat, and I don't mind them but I only collect to read so I seldom will pay more for an issue if I can get the same story cheaper. I think the last variant I bought was the Mike Mignola cover for Batman 700, I couldn't see leaving that on the table it was beautiful.

I grew up loving Godzilla, but I feel like I would get this book even if I didn't have that connection. The art just looks really awesome and I love Powell. I think I'm going to go with the monthlies if only because I've never seen an IDW trade before and I'm not sure what how long they wait between when the series and they publish the trade.

It can be a waiting game with IDW. I know a lot of their Angel comics got hardcover collections first. Expensive hardcovers that I couldn't believe people bought. The second one was three issues for $21.99US.

BANNED

Ah, yeah I wouldn't spend that either to get all 75, but then again I'm not one for spending more for variant covers to begin with. They're neat, and I don't mind them but I only collect to read so I seldom will pay more for an issue if I can get the same story cheaper. I think the last variant I bought was the Mike Mignola cover for Batman 700, I couldn't see leaving that on the table it was beautiful.
    I used to think that Variant meant that it would be worth a shitload of money down the road so I bought every crappy black and white variant I could find.

Quote Originally Posted by DonC View Post
    It can be a waiting game with IDW. I know a lot of their Angel comics got hardcover collections first. Expensive hardcovers that I couldn't believe people bought. The second one was three issues for $21.99US.
    Damn, I'll definitely be getting the singles then.

Quote Originally Posted by boyhangover View Post
    I used to think that Variant meant that it would be worth a shitload of money down the road so I bought every crappy black and white variant I could find.
    You're not alone, when I was a kid I used to treat the Wizard price guide as gospel. Man what a weird time the 90's were.

I agree, I always loved Godzilla too. I mean who doesn't love giant monsters. Even if I wasn't a fan, the art by Hester is to awesome to pass, and I can't wait to see what Powell has planned.

I definitely want to try to go with the monthlies, as I don't really like having to wait for trades. Plus waiting for trades makes me feel left out during the issue discussions anyway.
    "Welcome to the party pal!" - John McClane - Die Hard

The issue discussions should be interesting, from the interviews I've read it's not just going to be Godzilla smash stuff for twenty pages, it's going to have some of that for sure but it'll have a lot of stuff on the human reaction to Godzilla laying waste to the country side. It sounded like we were going to get some fairly deep philosophical stories...and giant monsters so you really can't go wrong.

As a huge Godzilla fan since I was 4 years old (my room is littered with Godzilla stuff) and a devoted reader of The Goon since 2004 this is a dream come true for me!