Page 5 of 202 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
    Trying to pay his debts Jess C.H.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 42n8s1 View Post
    This makes me think Michael Turner (as said earlier) would have been fabulous.
    Yeah, he was all into scuba diving other aquatic activities in real life. I read that that is were he got the inspiration for his Fathom series. Has anyone read that btw? I've always had a hard time buying anything that isn't from Marvel or DC, and when that first came out, I wasn't very familiar with Turner. I wonder if it's worth picking up.
    "I dont care who you are back in the world."

Quote Originally Posted by 42n8s1 View Post
    This makes me think Michael Turner (as said earlier) would have been fabulous.
    I was thinking this when I flipped through Turner's Fathom TPB collection. The armor for the Blues and the Blacks was cool, the ocean scenes breath taking, and he draws beautiful people.

Quote Originally Posted by colossalreign View Post
    Yeah, I loved his work on X-Factor back during X-Cutioners Song. I thought that his background work in the Inhumans mini was pretty good, which makes me think he would do a lot better with the aquatic backgrounds nowadays. Like Bianchi though, he would have to be tapped for either a mini, or a short three to five issue story arc in the regular book (with a decent head start).
    I'll have to dig up that X-Factor book. But I especially love Jae Lee's Inhumans work and of course FF 1234. Plus, it's clear from the covers, Jae does a fantastic job conveying the movement through water, and the colorist does the rest. I love the covers for Namor the First Mutant.

But yes, I'd love to see more Bianchi Namor. I don't care if it's bimonthly.

Yeah, he was all into scuba diving other aquatic activities in real life. I read that that is were he got the inspiration for his Fathom series. Has anyone read that btw? I've always had a hard time buying anything that isn't from Marvel or DC, and when that first came out, I wasn't very familiar with Turner. I wonder if it's worth picking up.
    I've flipped through several Turner Fathom TPB's at my lcbs.
    I'm skeptical about the writing.
    The art is absolutely beautiful.
    Square City Comics - Come check us out!

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    But yes, I'd love to see more Bianchi Namor. I don't care if it's bimonthly.
    Could not agree more.
    I thought the writing of his Thor mini left much to be desired.
    It didn't stop me from picking up every issue though.
    Square City Comics - Come check us out!

Latverian Tourism Bureau Iron Maiden's Avatar

Dude. Seriously UNCOOL to divebomb an appreciation thread with that sleazy mis-representation of Namor. Even die hard haterz admit that's NOT Namor. As Iron Maiden said, if anything, it's cousin Shamor. UGH!
    The only look I dislike almost as much is the pony-tail Namor. I can't remember why that look was "in" for the 1990's....was it because of wrestling shows?? There was also a version of Reed in the Doom 2099 series that had a pony tail.

Here's a bit of history...two of the most well known Sub-Mariner artists. Gene Colan inked by Bill Everett.

Speaking of the Jae Lee/Bob Harras Namor, my collection of back issues is a bit spotty but I did pick up this from a back issue bin. I didn't even notice the autograph on the cover until I got it home. Back then I didn't get charged extra or anything. It's not one of his best covers IMO though.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 03-14-2011 at 09:12 PM.
    "...Doom's enemies have not the mettle to challenge him host to host, tooth to nail... As economic and military options fail them, they resort to simple rudeness."

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    rheged what were your opinions on lady dorma? i thought she was an OK character from namor's past. i'd love to see her back as an adversary. maybe as a zombified sea witch or something.
    I love Lady Dorma. She's my favorite of Namor's ladies. But I'm old school and Dorma reminds of some of the old movie gals like Barbra Stanwyck and Joan Crawford and Joan Collins. She was a lot like Namor in temperment also, in the Silver Age. I don't think she was used as fully as she could have been back then. I'd be curious to see a modern writer take her on.

Did you read the Counter Earth Lady Dorma? She was something! One of Dr. Doom's generals. And I've often thought it would be great to see her taking on Namor again. But I'm not sure if she's still alive.

Good stuff IM. Ponytail Namor was pretty lame, but Carlos Pacheco did a version of Ponytail Namor that looked pretty cool imo. I think it was in the FF issues during the Onslaught crossover.

Has anyone checked out that Namor series where he was really young? I want to say it was written by Bill Jemas, and had Sal Larocca on art. I was wondering if it was worth picking up.

BANNED

Did you read the Counter Earth Lady Dorma? She was something! One of Dr. Doom's generals. And I've often thought it would be great to see her taking on Namor again. But I'm not sure if she's still alive.
    i didn't but i'm interested to learn more. i love how she trolled sue storm in her first appearance though. she's nasty when she wants to be. i think its funny that most of namor's childhood friends have turned down the evil path -- byrrah, merrano. becoming a villainess seems like a natural road for her, but they'd need to resurrect her first.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    The only look I dislike almost as much is the pony-tail Namor. I can't remember why that look was "in" for the 1990's....was it because of wrestling shows?? There was also a version of Reed in the Doom 2099 series that had a pony tail.

OMG. I'm so glad I missed Pony Tail Reed! That ... I'm beyond words. ROFL! But yes, not so fond of Pony Tail Namor. I don't know WHY it was popular in the '90s, but it was, unfortunately. I think it had something to do with the mullet craze.

Here's a bit of history...two of the most well known Sub-Mariner artists. Gene Colan inked by Bill Everett.

Great splash page! You really can't go wrong with those two greats! Though, I think Everett really shines on his own pencils and inks. That's from one of the later Tales to Astonish, IIRC, after Stan Lee finished up the underwater fantasy arc, and had Namor back in NYC and encountering superheroes again. Wasn't he going to run into Iron Man soon?

Speaking of the Jae Lee/Bob Harras Namor, my collection of back issues is a bit spotty but I did pick up this from a back issue bin. I didn't even notice the autograph on the cover until I got it home. Back then I didn't get charged extra or anything. It's not one of his best covers IMO though.
    How cool! A signed Jae Lee book! I'd love to meet him at a con. That's Master Khan getting a Namor nosejob. LOL!

Good stuff IM. Ponytail Namor was pretty lame, but Carlos Pacheco did a version of Ponytail Namor that looked pretty cool imo. I think it was in the FF issues during the Onslaught crossover.

Has anyone checked out that Namor series where he was really young? I want to say it was written by Bill Jemas, and had Sal Larocca on art. I was wondering if it was worth picking up.
    I have to say, that Larocca's art on that series was flat out gorgeous. Some of the most beautiful underwater scenes ever. Full of sea life and beautifully colored. I didn't care for the story line at all, however, and some other things. But if you like a star crossed teenagers in love sort of story, you might like it. Marvel waffles on whether it's in continuity or not, because it completely re-writes Namor's origin story.

I'm going to have to look for that Pacheco Namor. I know he did some FF covers ... at least I think that was him. I like this one he did for an Invaders series a while back.

Last edited by Rheged; 03-14-2011 at 09:39 PM.

Latverian Tourism Bureau Iron Maiden's Avatar

Larocca's art was the best thing about it. IIRC it introduced a new surface female that he was interested in. But I have it packed away in some longbox somewhere and haven't read it much since.

I love Lady Dorma. She's my favorite of Namor's ladies. But I'm old school and Dorma reminds of some of the old movie gals like Barbra Stanwyck and Joan Crawford and Joan Collins. She was a lot like Namor in temperment also, in the Silver Age. I don't think she was used as fully as she could have been back then. I'd be curious to see a modern writer take her on.

I loved Counter Earth Dorma because she was a pretty bad ass warrior queen. I remember we discussed her in another thread some time back and I seem to recall one poster saying she was killed when the Thunderbolts, led by Zemo, went back to Planet Doom/Counter Earth after Doom left to return to Earth Prime.

She had a bit of a thing for Victor when he recruited her to be one of his generals. She was crazy jealous when Reed was trapped in the armor and she thought it was still Doom. She wanted to kill Sue over it. Which reminds me, I still wonder if Sue is still legally married to Victor?? Marriage by proxy is still legal I presume, even though it was really Reed and Sue took the title of Baroness.

"...Doom's enemies have not the mettle to challenge him host to host, tooth to nail... As economic and military options fail them, they resort to simple rudeness."

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    i didn't but i'm interested to learn more. i love how she trolled sue storm in her first appearance though. she's nasty when she wants to be. i think its funny that most of namor's childhood friends have turned down the evil path -- byrrah, merrano. becoming a villainess seems like a natural road for her, but they'd need to resurrect her first.
    LOL! That's exactly when I knew Lady Dorma was my favorite. I mean ... she shoved Sue Storm out the airlock to die, because she thought Sue might be a rival. Yeah, Stan Lee wrote Dorma as EXTREME in her passion for Namor. There's a cool way to bring Dorma back into his story that I've been thinking about.

Iron Maiden knows alot more about Counter Earth Dorma, but I'm pretty sure I have a scan of her encounter with Namor. And if IIRC, CE Dorma didn't care for 616 Sue either.

Byrrah was always a rival, if you remember those Young Namor stories from the Atlas era. I'm not as familiar with Merrano, as I haven't read much of the original Invaders.

Whats going on with Atuma these days? Is he dead too?

Whats going on with Atuma these days? Is he dead too?
    Good question ... and another dangling plot string from the Namor Doom Cabal alliance.

IIRC, Sentry decapitated Attuma. But in one of the best Attuma stories written, Doctor Doom resurrect him as insurance against his ally Namor. LOL! Doom leaves Attuma to decide whether or not he'll continue to live at Doom's sufferance, or die. The story is told from Attuma's POV and shows a little of what makes him tick. But that's how the story ends. With Attuma undecided and staring at the door where Doom will return.

I loved Counter Earth Dorma because she was a pretty bad ass warrior queen. I remember we discussed her in another thread some time back and I seem to recall one poster saying she was killed when the Thunderbolts, led by Zemo, went back to Planet Doom/Counter Earth after Doom left to return to Earth Prime.
    Counter Earth Dorma definitely kicks butt. Oddly enough, I'm not so sure Namor would appreciate that so much. Ah yes, I remember that now. But the last I saw of her, she had been arrested by the FF on Earth Prime. Of course, there was that FF annual that featured her. Maybe that's where she escaped and went back to Counter Earth.

She had a bit of a thing for Victor when he recruited her to be one of his generals. She was crazy jealous when Reed was trapped in the armor and she thought it was still Doom. She wanted to kill Sue over it. Which reminds me, I still wonder if Sue is still legally married to Victor?? Marriage by proxy is still legal I presume, even though it was really Reed and Sue took the title of Baroness.
    A BIT of a thing? LOL! Yes, crazy jealous describes it much better. I don't think Victor would push that marriage, do you?