Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Big_H View Post
    Why people judge one pin-up or a movie's teaser trailer is beyond me.

It's like watching a bunch of bratty children jump up and down saying "I want it now!"

Everyone is entitled to there opinions but learn some patience before you go judging some one else's hard work.
    Hah. You sound strict man, [ phew! > whistle! < hm-hm. ], albeit right no doubt.

Although well, especially eversince the internet and all the fanhood catering networks or platforms growing,
    it seems to me a lot of the leading entertainment biz sollicitations and previews and launchings are pivoting around peaking interests much by means of having but crowds of those children-at-heart you mention to be but jumping up and down and all that.

As if such would be what the business or industry would effectively come down to, for having as a goal or most favorable result?

It seems as if 'fanny anticipations' are getting more noticable to an extent. Feedback becoming more and more readily apparent. For better or worse?

Although frankly at museums or the-aters or cinemahs or posh leatherette-and-woodwork bookshops, it wouldn't be much different really:
    self-conscious dilettants and beatniks and existentialists or poets - ladies even, casually talking amongst their own like:
    "Well I kneuw it's all just crap but with a 'reinge' (French latin for 'ring' or 'whif') to it at least... I want it, now, godspeed and forthwith."
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

I wouldn't use the term "fanny anticipations" too often. For speakers of American English it's deserving of snickers, but for those of us that speak the Queen's English it's downright vulgar! ;P

I'm going to put my neck on the block with this comment...Tyler Crook isn't doing it for me. There, I said it. I love Guy Davis. I loved his art all the way back to his Baker St days so he had a built-in fan base in me already when he took on the art chores for BPRD. I've been looking at Tyler's first issues and I've looked at the preview for Russia, and I miss Guy's details and scritch-scratch lines. I think a mistake was made to sign on someone so fresh to one of the flagship books of the DH/Hellboy Universe. That's my say-so, let the barrage begin.
    Also, I can kill you with my brain.
    River Tamm

Raymond Shaw is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life.

www.masztal.com
    www.dogboy443.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    I wouldn't use the term "fanny anticipations" too often. For speakers of American English it's deserving of snickers, but for those of us that speak the Queen's English it's downright vulgar! ;P
    I know, right .
    And I'm Dutch you see, right down to the flat of the land, which in my case would veer like towards some off beat Virginian early Hoboken Harlem Soho Newfy Gaellic Scouse Tex-Mex gone bonkers, which should be speaking volumes, between and betwixt the lines... I even took some French courses would you believe. Plus I'll be long-winded I suppose, nigh flatulalively.

Speaking or even dreaming seems a contant beating of the heart!
    Oh Keats, Whitman, my ears... Miss Brontė why won't you think of the children.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 09-20-2011 at 04:48 PM.
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy443 View Post
    I'm going to put my neck on the block with this comment...Tyler Crook isn't doing it for me. There, I said it. I love Guy Davis. I loved his art all the way back to his Baker St days so he had a built-in fan base in me already when he took on the art chores for BPRD. I've been looking at Tyler's first issues and I've looked at the preview for Russia, and I miss Guy's details and scritch-scratch lines. I think a mistake was made to sign on someone so fresh to one of the flagship books of the DH/Hellboy Universe. That's my say-so, let the barrage begin.
    To be honest I don't feel offended or even tickled that much. I think I may be going soft. Finally... (Damn the Heavens!!)

What I feel to like in what little I've seen of mr. Tyler would be an uncanny cinematographic take on certain stuff, but without abandoning a straightforwardly flowingness nonetheless. Like he can be direct both as contemplative or something, in-your-face but lushly also. Should Guy Davis have been replaced - and word has been he should have, even by his own account - then blimey, this Crook fellow would be seeming quite the ticket potentially. I know it's crazy but there you have it.
    You'll see . Or either I will. Or both.
    . ~

It's like watching a bunch of bratty children jump up and down saying "I want it now!"

Everyone is entitled to there opinions but learn some patience before you go judging some one else's hard work.
    Er...two issues is forty pages of work to base a judgment on- it's lot like people were discussing a six page preview.

Regardless, it's looking to be a moot point now- and any artist looks at reviews to some extrent so it's quite possible he's taken people's remarks (here and elsewhere) to heart and adjusting slightly eye-wise.
    Tension, Apprehension, and Dissension have begun.

Er...two issues is forty pages of work to base a judgment on- it's lot like people were discussing a six page preview.

Regardless, it's looking to be a moot point now- and any artist looks at reviews to some extrent so it's quite possible he's taken people's remarks (here and elsewhere) to heart and adjusting slightly eye-wise.

Nothing bratty about that- people like what they like and dont what they dont.
    Tension, Apprehension, and Dissension have begun.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy443 View Post

This was part of what I was talking about in my earlier post, it really seems to boil down to you not liking Crook because he isn't Guy and that just seems odd to me.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    This was part of what I was talking about in my earlier post, it really seems to boil down to you not liking Crook because he isn't Guy and that just seems odd to me.
    I can sympathise with that. I miss Guy, I really do, but whenever I let go of that and just read the comic I find I enjoy Tyler's work. And Russia #1 was awesome .

Stabbed in the back Jr. Wormwood's Avatar

I'm diggin' Tyler's work. A lot. He's not Guy, yeah, so what?

Then again, I love indy comics, so for me this is the best of both worlds.
    "Okay, I know I said I wasn't going to shake things up, but we're going to have to get some pants on this one."

Quote Originally Posted by Jr. Wormwood View Post
    Exactly. I have no complaints at all. And I've warmed to his style very quickly. I hope he's around for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jr. Wormwood View Post

Then again, I love indy comics, so for me this is the best of both worlds.
    Exactly, he's not Guy, and he's not trying to be him either. He very much did his own thing and I think it told the story very effectively.

I think what impressed me the most were how he drew the cars and the city streets, those are two things that for whatever reason a lot of artists seem to stumble on in bringing scenes to life but Crook really nailed it for me. The cars looked like they were moving and had weight about them and the streets actually looked alive, it was great to see.

Stabbed in the back Jr. Wormwood's Avatar

Yeah, I'm definitely impressed by his cars, as well as everything else.

The panel with the suv screeching to a somewhat sideways halt? Excellent physics there!
    "Okay, I know I said I wasn't going to shake things up, but we're going to have to get some pants on this one."

Tyler Crook will be showing off his Petrograd work at Challenger's Comics:
    http://superskoda.deviantart.com/journal/44504621/

Has anyone picked up Petrograd?!
    This book is well done from the design to of course the story and the art.
    If you folks are in the Chicago area,do yourself a favor and pick up the book .Tyler is one of the most down to earth guys you'll ever meet.