Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I would like to point a few things out.

1. The BPRD drawing posted on here was the first thing Allie asked Crook to draw, if I remember correctly. It takes time to really get characters like these down. Which is where part 2 comes in.

2. Guy Davis didn't think his first BPRD story was very good, he's said multiple times that his Abe looked weird etc. I tend to agree. I thought his second story (Plague of Frogs) was much improved.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_H View Post
    2. Guy Davis didn't think his first BPRD story was very good, he's said multiple times that his Abe looked weird etc. I tend to agree. I thought his second story (Plague of Frogs) was much improved.
    Yeah, I think by the Black Flame Guy Davis took total control of those characters. I like his previous stuff but I think he was still getting comfortable with the gang.

Tyler's pinups aren't flooring me but his Sequential's are. I've said that about a lot of my favorite artists.
    "Hi. I have pants on."

"It's a Fez. I wear a Fez now... Fez's are cool."

I'm going to give him a shot. I'm not impressed with the promo poster thing, but thats only one shot. I'm always going to be a attached to Guy's work though. He is a legend in the Hellboy world for sure! I hope to see him do a few oneshots and mini's. Yeah I think his Abe could improve.. the shadowing around his eyes a bit. And kate... well yeah. I agree that he'll improve as he go's, as Guy did, as he makes the characters his own.

I found this. Thought it was pretty cool.

I think he's pretty good... I just wish he had more opportunities to draw Abe...

Quote Originally Posted by Mechano View Post
    I just wish he had more opportunities to draw Abe...
    I'm not entirely sure anyone will anymore... Well, not in the same way. I get the feeling Abe is in for some big physical changes. It's like Guy Davis left just as we saw Abe as we've always known him for the last time.

It's really weird looking at the posts in the last page, weirder still if one is to read the early criticisms of Guy Davis. People savaged his work in comparison to Mignola's when he was announced...and yet he became nearly as loved as Mike himself. You'd think people would remember that transition when viewing this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    I'm not entirely sure anyone will anymore... Well, not in the same way. I get the feeling Abe is in for some big physical changes. It's like Guy Davis left just as we saw Abe as we've always known him for the last time.

I really hope not... I am looking forward to him possibly devolving further into a frog creature, but I hope he will eventually go back to being his (somewhat) normal self

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It's really weird looking at the posts in the last page, weirder still if one is to read the early criticisms of Guy Davis. People savaged his work in comparison to Mignola's when he was announced...and yet he became nearly as loved as Mike himself. You'd think people would remember that transition when viewing this one.
    Weird yes and no: I think people would feel to speak or think from the gut, as if that would somehow be making sense infallably even when it wouldn't.

As if readers or lovers of fiction would be to appreciate their favorite stuff completely to a one, universal and perfect way.
    I'm not saying that any reality would have to be meaning the very opposite of such, but I am saying that people should appreciate how most likely the creative people, the artists or writers, will have been preceding them, how creatives will have considered most likely any concerns, with even being to base themselves on such.

Around the first BPRD-stories getting published I myself will have considered that any stuff of mr Mike or anything related to him would have to be made out and perceived as being typically a 'mr Mike kind of thing', which for art would mean 'of realistically however darkly elegant design as if shapened, plus for getting panelled out or storyboarded with being uniquely timed and visualized and unfolding'.
    With not appreciating the possibility that for the BPRD mr Mike might have had something different in mind than Hellboy perhaps)*. Since most of the Mignola-verse titles seem to hinge quite a bit on specifically the different talents or fortes of the different people involved.
    As if the perspectives within the material both as the different talents would be supporting eachother?
    *(Like for instance how Hellboy has the unique timing and unfolding whereas the BPRD seems to have more rather people interaction - more discourse and more contemporary resolve. Basically due to Hellboy being more roomy from being solo, whereas the BPRD would be to operate as a team?)

I guess no matter what there's gonna be too much negativity or assumption towards any change artistically. If only because the people responsible for the title with calling the shots, will be more in on things than any readers or fans. Whereas readers or fans would mostly be having their concerns or assumptions to have?

However all-in-all, I'd think keeping an open mind without too much assumin' will be likely best for anyone.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 09-06-2011 at 05:00 AM. Reason: syntactical tidbits.
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

Yeah I get that it's a gut reaction, but all the same for me I trust Mignola to pick the right guy for the job, and so far I've seen nothing to doubt his ability to do just that, you know?

Stabbed in the back Jr. Wormwood's Avatar

I'm digging what I've seen of Crook's work. I like the indie sensibilities he brings to the table. It feels grown up to me. I personally can't wait to see him cut loose on this material, especially once we're able to get a good look at his monster design. Mike, Scott and co. wouldn't pick the wrong guy for this book.
    "Okay, I know I said I wasn't going to shake things up, but we're going to have to get some pants on this one."

Is it wrong that I totally hated most of the artwork?
    OKay, not exactly...just the eyes.
    Drawing little dots instead of eyes is annoying and makes it look like the guy from Monopoly is joining BPRD.

And that aint good.

Layouts, backgrounds, clothing, cars everything else is fine- but MAN! Not those dots for eyes!
    The trailer types must have known Liz was special by her (vaguely) human eyes alone!

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post

Yeah, but that's a disapontment of another kind altogether.

Overall, this was a real downer of a mini.
    Last edited by Jason Abbadon; 09-09-2011 at 10:21 PM.
    Tension, Apprehension, and Dissension have begun.

Settle down, fan-boys, we haven't even seen a complete arc drawn by Tyler Crook. And what we have seen was done over Guy Davis' outlines. Maybe Guy was responsible for butt-hurting us with dot-eyes.

This is the only preview I've seen of his work on BPRD: Russia and it looks pretty damn good to me.

Let's allow Tyler to draw a few BPRD comics before we decide if he's doing it justice or not. People freaked out about Fegredo taking over art chores on Hellboy and that worked out pretty good, maybe the same thing will happen with Tyler and the BPRD.

HEY!
    Gary's useing "reason" on the Internet again, guys!
    He's obviously a witch- get the rope and the dunking stool- it's time fer some fun!

The Russia preview does indeed look leagues better than what we saw in this two parter, and I'm sympathetic o the dreaded deadline Doom that artists live under so I'm willing to give him a full story arc before I go collecting index fingers.

And you're right that Guy's art took a while to win me over...but hey, "bash the new guy" is not only fun, it's often warranted.
    He'll improve, I think.
    Tension, Apprehension, and Dissension have begun.