View Poll Results: Poll closed

Voters
0. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • closed

0 0%
  • closed

0 0%
Page 239 of 380 FirstFirst ... 139189229235236237238239240241242243249289339 ... LastLast
Results 3,571 to 3,585 of 5696

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    So, if I understand you correctly... Gilgamesh is a hero because no matter what the world is, he never rejects it, because he considers it his kingdom?
    Pretty much. Other heroes exist for their own ideal world, Gilgamesh exists for the world that's real.
    Suffering is a fact of life. You survive if you find a reason to endure it.

Have Robot, Will Smash Iron_twister's Avatar

Onepunch Man 22

Well, Saitama once again made things very amusing.

Also, for a rather short time, Spring Mustache does at least one thing awesome for an A class hero. Now I just fear of S class hero Watchdog...Cause it seems to be a really absurd badass in this world, you have to look like a completely total weirdo even by hero standards.
    Last edited by Iron_twister; 01-18-2013 at 06:58 PM.
    "This is the energy that caused the extinction of your race! Now die again!"-Musashi Tomoe

It's better to burn out, than to fade away!-The Kurgan

Please.........I go through everyone's trash.-The Question

"I said, I'm singing a song. And when someone's singing a song, YOU DON'T SHOOT THEM!"-Kenji Endo

Funny, I thought that Gilgamesh was only plausibly Chaotic Good was because of his exploits with Endiku and the fact that he did protect his subjects, despite the fact that he abused his rule and saw them mostly as possessions.

Slightly off-topic, but Madara has been giving me a Gilgamesh vibe ever since his appearance. I wonder if they would get along or try and slaughter the other is they ever met.

Cruel and Unusual Sound Silence's Avatar

I like how Toriko was all yeah having a nice tournament arc and then WHHAAAAAAMMM Bishokukai invades. I mean, we knew it was gonna happen, but I didn't think it would happen in the middle of something like this. Props.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Funny, I thought that Gilgamesh was only plausibly Chaotic Good was because of his exploits with Endiku and the fact that he did protect his subjects, despite the fact that he abused his rule and saw them mostly as possessions.

Slightly off-topic, but Madara has been giving me a Gilgamesh vibe ever since his appearance. I wonder if they would get along or try and slaughter the other is they ever met.
    I'm betting on the later.

Gilgamesh hasn't considered anyone his equal since Enkidu, and has a very low tolerance for insolence. And Madara literally cannot open his mouth without talking smack about everyone who isn't himself or the First Hokage.

Also, going by what Siriel just explained - that Gilgamesh's kinglyness is to bear and accept the whole world - he probably wouldn't agree with Madara's philosophy at all.
    Last edited by Ghost; 01-19-2013 at 08:08 AM.
    "This doesn't look easy. But I bet it is!"
    -Homer Simpson

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck

Though, I'd be interested to know what would happen if Gilgamesh ran into Karna. Especially considering how Karna's personality is described.
    "This doesn't look easy. But I bet it is!"
    -Homer Simpson

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck

The thing about saying "Well, he's only Good if you only look at those adventures" is that those adventures may or may not exist in Fate/ as they did in the myth. We know that they chained the Bull of Heaven, but the details are sketchy.

But yes, the fact that Gilgamesh's rule was a golden age of humanity is another reason. It's worth noting that while his kingdom did collapse because of his rule, it did so only after he died.
    Gilgamesh would certainly not agree with his philosophy, at any rate. Or rather at the conclusion that Madara reached.
    I'd say they'd inevitably try to kill each others eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Though, I'd be interested to know what would happen if Gilgamesh ran into Karna. Especially considering how Karna's personality is described.
    A version of Karna will show up in Extra CCC, and Gilgamesh is one of the Servants you can summon in that. (Yup. Gilgamesh as a protagonist. What could go wrong?)
    So I might be able to answer that in a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Because we know how heavy rocks are?

Look... I'll make this simple and use visual aids.

Here's the rock in the manga, as we can see from my annotations, it's about 4.5 Roshi tall and around 5 Roshi across. Let's assume Roshi is 5'0" because he's short and that makes it easier to calculate.

This means the rock is 22.5 feet high and 25 feet across or 6.85 metres and 7.62 metres respectively. Let's pretend it's cylindrical for ease of calculation and we get the following formula:

Cylinder Volume = Base Area*Height

Area of a Circle = Pi*radius^2

Pi*3.31^2= 34.4 square metres.

34.4*6.85= 235.64 cubic metres.

We'll knock off like... 40% to account for the odd shape of the rock and to lowball the calc, which gives us a final area of: 141.39 cubic metres

so, let's lowball further by pretending that this rock has the same relatively low density of sandstone: 2323 kg/cubic metre

This means the rock would weigh around 328,448 kg. Or, to put that in tons; 362 US tons.

So yeah... basic maths and that's lowballing it a fair bit.

A lot more than 40 tons.
    Well uh... your face?

Ok, so you made a ... pretty convincing argument, however, in their defense, the author never specified what the weight of the rock was, he did specified the 40 tons feat. So it could be argued convincingly be that it was his intention was for the rock to weigh less than 40 tons, some how. Now mind you I am not arguing against your seemingly argument destroying math, I'm just saying that the author didn't thought about it all that much and unknowingly retconned the weight of the rock.

Anyway the uploaded the fight to youtube if anybody here had a problem with the SA media player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyl97TG8jbA
    ...And does Mr. Goddanm Batman says so much as ''Thanks''? OF COURSE not. That'd hardly be GRIM AND GRITTY, would it?

The jerk...

-DKU's Jim Gordon.

Anyway now that I'm here, after watching both Accel World and Sword Art Online back to back I want to get back into anime and I wondered what were the cool kids watching this days? Any new releases or recomendations that I can catch in Churchyroll?

The last anime I had any real interest in watching before those two was Trigun some 4 years ago, though I read the Death Note Manga and saw a couple of anime movies here and there and rewatched my favorite anime, Cowboy Bebop.
    ...And does Mr. Goddanm Batman says so much as ''Thanks''? OF COURSE not. That'd hardly be GRIM AND GRITTY, would it?

The jerk...

-DKU's Jim Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    Well uh... your face?

Ok, so you made a ... pretty convincing argument, however, in their defense, the author never specified what the weight of the rock was, he did specified the 40 tons feat. So it could be argued convincingly be that it was his intention was for the rock to weigh less than 40 tons, some how. Now mind you I am not arguing against your seemingly argument destroying math, I'm just saying that the author didn't thought about it all that much and unknowingly retconned the weight of the rock.
    Look, I like Toriyama and all. I love DB.

But the guy sucks when giving numbers.

Literally every single time Toriyama gives you a weight, it will be hilarious lower than the actual feats performed in the manga.
    Last edited by Hazard; 01-19-2013 at 02:13 PM.

CBR Dark Tourny Master Robotech Master's Avatar
    On an Abh Battleship, somewhere in the Aptic System

^And authors being terrible or inconsistent with numbers, even to the point of unknowingly retconning previous feats, is the reason why Rumbles establishes that reasonable calculations for on screen feats overrules anything the author says.

I mean, if Oda's word was taken above feats, Captain Kuro does invisible flash steps by moving...slower than normal humans can run.
    "It's your parting gift. In that it will part you; part of you over here, part of you over there, part of you way over there, staining the wall!" Lord Shen

Isn't Kuro at 100m/4s going by WoG?

Anyway, Toriyama is kind of weird in that he obviously thinks he is being consistent. If you pay attention to the weights there is a visible, gradual increase over time.

The thing is that the feats are way above. For reference, a car weights about a ton. A subway car is at about 20 tons.

Just in Dragon Ball we have:

Giant monkey Goku tears apart Pilaf's castle. He breaks steel like it's paper. He lifts a tower above his head. He's like a little kid stomping on a lego castle.

Pre Roshi Goku lifts boulders larger than himself. He breaks them by crushing them against his body.

Pre Roshi Goku moves a boulder about as big as a medium sized car with ease.

Post Roshi Goku performs the above feat. He also has enough leg strength to jump several kilometers into the air.

A lot of the guys in the first tournament are strong enough to throw/kick people out of the arena and sent them flying out of the city, and casually at that.

Blue's plane crashes into a mountain and he survives. He gets headbutted into another time zone and he survives.

8 can punch people over a mountain.

Tao throws pillar to other countries.

And so on.

Toriyama is plain bad with numbers, which is not really all that uncommon when it comes to writers.

That's understandable. However they take the author's word for it and it makes sense for them to that because one would asume the him to be to have the final opinion on any matter (word of God and all that), if not then they would have to second guess every other source for Superman and every other character to the point that no Death Battle would ever get off the research phase.

The jerk...

-DKU's Jim Gordon.

Well, when you get right down to it they should have to second guess every Superman thing.

Comics have feats all over the place. And retcons. And weird continuity.

And diverging, contradicting power explanations.

And Morrison.

DB's weight problems are damn simple in comparison.

40 ton feat is a special case though, because every person that has seriously debated DBZ (as seriously as you can debate fictional characters at any rate) knows it is crap.
    Last edited by Hazard; 01-19-2013 at 05:24 PM.