Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    average comic book fan... JonQCitizen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by []D[]/\/\[]D @ Nite/So-tite View Post
    But how many people do you expect to buy a book with the creative team of Felicia Henderson and Scott McDaniel?

Doesn't DC still hold the responsibility on creative teams how people receive the book?
    While that is an interesting point, DC has to find new ways to introduce writers and (although I'd be all for it) the big-name writers don't have time to write everything.....

That said, I suppose some research could conclude that when DC doesn't think a project has a chance they assign no-name writers and artists to do the project. Of course, maybe they just have to go with what they can.....if no one wants to write Vixen or Blue Beetle, etc. then DC can't force Johns, Morrison, Robinson, Krul, Tomasi, Snyder, etc. to write it.
    Currently collecting: Aphrodite IX, Elephantmen, The Flash, Godzilla, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Guardians of the Galaxy, Saga, & Usagi Yojimbo.

Quote Originally Posted by JonQCitizen View Post
    . Of course, maybe they just have to go with what they can.....if no one wants to write Vixen or Blue Beetle, etc. then DC can't force Johns, Morrison, Robinson, Krul, Tomasi, Snyder, etc. to write it.
    I'm not sure that's entirely true. I mean sure nobody can force anyone else to do something, but I'd imagine that kowtowing to DC will affect the writing possibilities one gets. I'm pretty sure Rise of Arsenal wasn't the story Krul wanted to tell. It probably wouldn't work with Johns or Morrison, though.

Quote Originally Posted by JonQCitizen View Post
    While that is an interesting point, DC has to find new ways to introduce writers and (although I'd be all for it) the big-name writers don't have time to write everything.....

That said, I suppose some research could conclude that when DC doesn't think a project has a chance they assign no-name writers and artists to do the project. Of course, maybe they just have to go with what they can.....if no one wants to write Vixen or Blue Beetle, etc. then DC can't force Johns, Morrison, Robinson, Krul, Tomasi, Snyder, etc. to write it.
    This train of thought fails in 2 Important places

1) You're letting DC off WAY TOO EASILY HERE. DC didn't need a big name writer for Static (at least in my view, because I didn't want any of those folks save Snyder anywhere near this character), as you would think the 1st Issue alone would attract a sizeable audience due to the name alone. (Guess what J.T. Krul, Static is more A-List than any of your "A-List" Titans)

Sadly, Felicia Henderson is saddled with being a name that repels potential readers, something that DC's Executive Staff should have known just from doing some basic market research, properly. Had they done so, then maybe an unknown wouldn't had been such a bad idea, which leads into point number 2.

2) When a writer is hired by a Franchise Publishing House, then they are being hired to write what they are told to write. In an era where sales are anemic and everyone trying to find the answer why, one of the parts of the answer is the fact that the Big 2 is far too invested in protecting the Status Quo and everything that goes with it, creating an environment where egos are more important than the stories themselves. This is why you get situations where a writer who gets an assignment they don't want can turn in terrible work and still have a job.

Until there's an environment where proper accountability is established, projects like these are going to be saddled with unnecessary baggage.
    Those who refuse to learn from History, will repeat History as they wonder "What the F*ck happened?"

I wouldn't make John Stewart anything other than a Green Lantern. DC has other notable black heroes they could promote, but while John could be considered just another Green Lantern, you alter his super hero identity and then he's just another black super hero in general.

He just needs a prominent arc in the Green Lantern narrative. Hal Jordan has been taking the spotlight since his rebirth, but that doesn't mean he won't, or can't, be cycled out in favor of the other Green Lanterns. John Stewart has a powerful narrative within him, but it just isn't being tapped because his story isn't the current Green Lantern story.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Bravery View Post
    The reason why Stewart doesn't have a ongoing is the same reason why War Machine doesn't (well can't support one for more than a year).

They are straight laced military guys who just don't have very interesting personalities.

Guy Gardner can support one because, well, he's Guy Gardner. He has buckets and buckets of personality. Whether you like his personality is irrelevent. He's like one of those cops who doesn't give a crap about the red tape and beaurocracy. John Stewart, much like Rhodey, are boring, protocal following stiffs.
    John being a marine in the comics is a recent retcon, though. And it's not like he's currently in the military...
    "Moving to Dakota to avoid superheroes is like moving to Quantico to avoid the FBI." -- Dwayne McDuffie

My comic: https://www.facebook.com/pages/MYTH-...31161003585134

I would reboot John as a special agent within the. He's a gentleman's spy. His personality would be based on the Operative from Serenity played by Chiwetel Ejiofor. Philosophical, honorable, dry wit, etc. He's known as the "Architect" b/c he's a brilliant strategist. He's in a special branch designed to handle contact with ETs ie extra terrestrial encounters. At some point he stumbles upon a GL mission being handled by Katma Tui. Ultimately he disobeys orders and helps her. He's burned as a spy and left on his own. He has to rebuild his life from the ground up. At that point b/c of his kindness to Katma he's recruited into the GLs. Unbeknownst to anyone he's still working for the Agency as a deep cover operative. He's now secured a GL ring and a place in their order. Will he fully embrace the GLs or will he remain loyal to the Agency (CIA, NSA, whatever), and how will his developing feelings for Katma come into play.

That's a book I'd read in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Daybreak_st View Post
    I would reboot John as a special agent within the. He's a gentleman's spy. His personality would be based on the Operative from Serenity played by Chiwetel Ejiofor. Philosophical, honorable, dry wit, etc. He's known as the "Architect" b/c he's a brilliant strategist. He's in a special branch designed to handle contact with ETs ie extra terrestrial encounters. At some point he stumbles upon a GL mission being handled by Katma Tui. Ultimately he disobeys orders and helps her. He's burned as a spy and left on his own. He has to rebuild his life from the ground up. At that point b/c of his kindness to Katma he's recruited into the GLs. Unbeknownst to anyone he's still working for the Agency as a deep cover operative. He's now secured a GL ring and a place in their order. Will he fully embrace the GLs or will he remain loyal to the Agency (CIA, NSA, whatever), and how will his developing feelings for Katma come into play.

That's actually not that bad. I even liked how you worked "Architect" in there.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Namtab View Post
    That's actually not that bad. I even liked how you worked "Architect" in there.
    It's like Inception.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    It's like Inception.
    But with power rings and a black guy...and aliens. Wait, how is it like Inception?
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

BANNED

The idea of there being "the architect" while doing covert operations reminded me of Inception.

BANNED

The lak of good JS stories is the same as the entire GL line. It's the Geoff Johns show with a lack of anything else. Johns isn't interested in Stewart meaning he gets benched in favour of Hal, Sinestro and Baz.

I said it before and I'll say it again, make a Green Lantern Earth One book with John Stewart as GL.

And have him as an architect, no military stuff.

The Livewire

I was first exposed to John Stewart through JLU, he actually was one of my favourite characters on there. I loved the 'Two Johns'.

If they do an actual crossover between nU-Earth and Earth-2, I'd love the new Hawkgirl and John to be the main characters, as a nod to JLU. But they'd be an interesting pair, both with military backgrounds and all.

As to his constructs, I would like to see him follow engineering concepts in them. Hall does the cell thing, Guy makes a big spikey bubble, Kyle makes something cartoony, and John makes a hexigonal design or what ever structure has the most inherent strength if it was made out of physical materials.

Before I would have agreed that John should stay a GL, but as of now I think it would be best for him if he separated himself from the group.

Doing something else instead of being stuck in the same position for years isn't a bad thing, it can at least give a writer a chance to explore John in a different way instead of trying to derive the little understanding of the character they usually show. Most of the time he's written it's as if he's only being used to highlight his past mistakes, it's as if he's not allowed to grow have new experiences, meet new people, have a relationship, explore his own talents and skills (architecture being one of them, but seeing as the military portion isn't going away embrace it), have new rivals and enemies.

Having him be something else even for a little while will do good for him, storywise and characterwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Daybreak_st View Post

cool idea, man just not sure if his act of kindness is enough to get him a ring but it would be cool if this was played over a 6 issue arc.

but i'd read it too.