Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Cup O' Joe - Mar 11, 2011

Marvel's Tom Brevoort wraps the week expounding upon the role of legendary creators and methods in the modern market and updating readers on the Kirkman/Liefeld "Killraven," the Loeb/Campbell "Spider-Man" and more.

Full article here.

BANNED

Thats was actually very informative.

There does seem to be quite a bit of you can't win with fans there but I suppose that must feel like the case for creators sometimes.

Still I don't think the answer to too many Thor and Cap minis is cutting back on minis altogether.

I mean minis work as self contained well told stories or a testing ground for ongoings.

Still looking at the recent sales charts minis just don;t seem to be working. For the most part I think they are considered as unimportant in the grand scale of things.

The answer would be to make them important again. Not just by making them tie ins but to make it clear these books will be made ongoings if there is a demand.

Still as seen with Agents of Atlas that doesnt seem to work.

But then you have books like Carnage which do. So should there be a Carnage onoing now? Or more Carnage minis?

I just think there needs to be a better way to give new titles a chance to take. I think a guaarenteed 12 issue with 16 pages of content priced at $1.99 with the chance of them being upped to 22 pages at $2.99 would be a sensible way to do it.

Make the 12 issues stand on their own should need be so they make for a good trade. If something isn't tried both new titles and minis will be a thing of the past very soon.

I would like to know if there are any stories that creators wrote and/or drew that has never seen the light of day. I would like to see these stories see print like the way Batman: Hidden Treasures.

Default A thought...

I like thought balloons. They work great for certain characters like Spider-Man. I prefer reading him that way, in fact.

Doesn't mean that every book has to have them, but that doesn't mean they are not sophisticated.

They didn't work for Bendis because they seemed like annoying pop-up video balloons.

... with the High Command Lemurion's Avatar

This was probably the best "Talk to the Hat" I've read. Very honest and informative.
    Anyone who thinks DC is bringing back the Silver Age doesn't know what the Silver Age is.

There is no such word as "persay," it's per se, two words, from the Latin.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy Caution View Post
    I like thought balloons. They work great for certain characters like Spider-Man. I prefer reading him that way, in fact.

Doesn't mean that every book has to have them, but that doesn't mean they are not sophisticated.

They didn't work for Bendis because they seemed like annoying pop-up video balloons.
    I agree, though baloons were introduced by way of making up for the lack of expressions that static images lacked. Or at least a way of driving the point home.

Narration just doesnt work to the same effect and would just seem clumsy if it tired to do that in a team book.

33408 is the other way ian33407's Avatar

I don't know if I would praise for Walt Simonson to come back onto THOR again (even within the FOREVER line) but I'll certainly allow him the same kind of freedom about any given characters he wishes (-though I claimed enough he would certainly shines onto ETERNALS and SILVER SURFER..)

About X-MEN FOREVER specifically, knowing that Chris Claremont finally had the opportunity to do what he really wanted to do is such a gift of his own for the old man I am that it makes me beg every weeks to know if there's a chance to see him pairing with Bill Sienkiewicz again onto NEW MUTANTS...

DO I REALLY HAVE TO EXPLAIN ..??
    Last edited by ian33407; 03-11-2011 at 04:19 PM.
    " Things are going to slide in all directions "
    Leonard Cohen - The Future

Just Sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
    This was probably the best "Talk to the Hat" I've read. Very honest and informative.
    I agree and I agreed with a lot of what Brevoort said in terms of old creators. Good interview this week.

Quote Originally Posted by wildstorm3 View Post
    I would like to know if there are any stories that creators wrote and/or drew that has never seen the light of day. I would like to see these stories see print like the way Batman: Hidden Treasures.
    Yes. There has been one "From The Marvel Vault" release already, with a second due next month.
    Mario Di Giacomo

BANNED

Oh yeah as for Claremont. Toms right X-Treme worked. The mistake was putting Chris on books that didnt matter like Forever and Exiles.

How many x-men are getting underused in the day of every book being Emma, Cyllops and Wolverine.

So give him

Xavier
    Madelyne
    Polaris
    Havok
    Warpath
    Vertigo
    Firestar
    Toad

To play with and watch him make them work as a team

33408 is the other way ian33407's Avatar

As for Tom' others expectations about FOREVER, I think that is a false problem...

The audience want the 'real X-Men' or the real 'Captain America' or the 'real FF', fine, let's give them some intemporal minis, or off-continuity minis as it had been done for Thor and Iron Man, and it worked perfectly well...

What interest the FOREVER readers is the HIDDEN YEARS aspect, the UNTOLD STORIES aspect, of a particular rooster or creative-team ...

I couldn't answer to which X-MEN era I prefer the most between the Byrne years, the Romita Jr years and the Silvestri years, because I could go blindfold with every stories Marvel can produce about them.. be it by curiosity, the will to see some stories tending to the directions they let supposed to, or just by misplaced nostalgia...I guess some readers have maybe the same fantasm about THE AVENGERS or THE DEFENDERS, that's why I suggested a long time ago a MARVEL AGE ongoing, or collection, that would allow any given creators to jump on every era of any character they want, which let me expected the most unthinkables projects :

some SUPREME SQUADRON prequels by BMB and JRJR, PUNISHER or INHUMANS by Ann Nocenti and Joan Van Fleet, NOVA by Rick Remender and Francis Leinil-Yu, ALPHA FLIGHT or THE ETERNALS by Walt Simonson and NEW MUTANTS by Claremont and Sienkiewickz -I know I'm repeating- but also untold stories of GUARDIANS OF GALAXY,SPIDERWOMAN, SLEEPWALKER, MACHINE MAN, THE CHAMPIONS .... well you get the idea, both by new top-artists of todays (Matt Wagner, Paul Pope, Steve Rude, Duncan Fegredo, Jock, Jerome Opena or Laurence Campbell,..) than by veterans (Neal Adams or Carmine Infantino) ...
    Last edited by ian33407; 03-12-2011 at 05:01 PM.
    " Things are going to slide in all directions "
    Leonard Cohen - The Future

The problem is there probably more Real X-Men, Real Cap America, Real FF, Real Avengers (without Wolverine, RHulk, Spider-Man) then there are reading comics. Right now got industry that pushing things are not working. Don't believe me look again and how bad sales are getting. Yes economy is good but Marvel not helping there cause.

WHAT?! Campbell is already working on issue two?! Slow down there, Speedy! Don't want your hand cramping up...

But seriously, that's cool they're still working on it. I thought it'd been abandoned entirely. And I'd much rather something was completely 'in the can' before being released, rather than getting an All Star Batman situation going on.

I think perhaps Marvel underestimates the general tone of older comics and their still very present appeal. I'm a huge fan of Walt's Thor, but literally sticking Walt back on Thor (that is if he would want to do it) is not what a reasonable fan of good Thor comics necessarily wants, if at all. Thor fans want the same "spirit" as Kirby and Simonson brought to the proceedings. They want someone who understands the characters, likes epic fantasy, likes heroes, understands the genre's conceits, likes the genre, etc, etc.

The hard truth about the broader Marvel line is that the talking-heads, decompressed, quasi-Vertigo approach is a dismal failure. That's not a good way to tell superhero stories, is a horrible model to attract young readers, not to mention the understated fact that many fans of Marvel era's past are simply sick of it.

It's laughable to me that the general consensus is that modern "mainstream" writing is "better" when it's really not. The smoke and mirror tactics do not hide from the discerning reader the quasi-sophistication, the pointlessness, the coy phoniness and the general lack of passion and imagination that haunts "The House of Ideas" in this bleak modern age.
    "I was handed a chocolate bar and an M-1 rifle and told to go kill Hitler."--Jack "King" Kirby

I can't wait to see what Neal Adams will be doing for Marvel!