Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Jurgens Returns to "Booster Gold"

Booster Gold creator Dan Jurgens spoke with CBR News about his return to the character's ongoing series, how it ties into the "Flashpoint" event and the origins of DC Comics' fan-favorite bumbling hero.

Full article here.

This book makes me incredibly happy. And to think that we've had such an amazing lineup of talent. Geoff Johns to Dan Jurgens to Giffen/DeMatteis to Jurgens. We're nearing #50 and I haven't felt there's been a single weak issue yet. I love this book so much.

If there's one thing I'd change is I'd like to see more of those endorsement deals and his life in the present timeframe and how he tries to run his finances and brand in the here and now. There's been so much time travel that sometimes it feels his adventures with Rip and time travel are all that's in the book. There's maybe a bit too much time travel at the expense of the here and now. It'd be nice to have even a single-issue story where he just tries to sell himself to some company and has to fight the Fearsome Five, with no ties or foreshadowing of it being connected to any time travel at all.
    Last edited by Samy; 03-10-2011 at 01:20 PM.

In "Generation Lost," we recently saw another Blue Beetle killed in front of Booster's eyes. Is this going to play into your arc at all?

No. I think we've seen a lot of Booster and Blue Beetle stories lately, which is remarkable, as Ted is dead! [Laughs] Jeff and Geoff wrote the "Booster and Ted have their final goodbye story" in the first twelve issues of the book when they were around, and then we did Booster speaking at Ted's funeral and the Blackest Night stuff. I think at this point it's important to put some of the Booster and Ted Kord stuff behind us and move forward in different directions.
    Thank you. I love the series, but the Ted Kord stuff has just been beaten into the ground, especially since, as he pointed out, they kinda drew a line under it in the first 12 issues, but kept coming back to it later.
    Last edited by Paul Newell; 03-10-2011 at 08:17 PM.
    "Batman is this force that appears out of nowhere behind a guy or all the sudden comes through the window like a man-sized brick and the note attached is a serious ass-whooping"

I like the title. It's entertaining and occassionally very, very good.

Glad to see DC not axing it.

I have to admit, Booster Gold's a good treat out of the rest of the DC Comics out there.

Quote Originally Posted by CMBMOOL View Post
    I have to admit, Booster Gold's a good treat out of the rest of the DC Comics out there.
    Like him a lot better nowadays.

A bit of a screw up sometimes, but still a very competent hero; he'll give the A-list villains more trouble than they expect, and he can take on any villain from the B-list down.

Mix that with the frat boy persona and you have a pretty appealing hero (a guy with a big ego, but is still interested in getting better).

Default Thank god!

Thank god he's coming back to this book. He left, some little girl showed up who had to go to the bathroom (seriously, that was the plot) and my favorite DC book (mostly Marvel here) became my least favorite. Like that.

Can't wait to get Booster back on track!!

I honestly thought the well had run dry with "Day of Death" as it seemed to be a re-hash of "Blue & Gold" just without the Ted factor, but having now read "The Tomorrow Memory" trade, i Think it's a good call bringing him back.

but re. exposure, i think it's important that Booster be a large part of the "Flashpoint" mini and not just sequestered off into his own book only or another tie-in
    Reading: GL, GLC, JSA, Hellblazer, Booster Gold, Jonah Hex, Doom Patrol, Supergirl, Powergirl, Transformers, Vengeance of the Moon Knight

@Samy - In an upcoming interview with Comic Related's Panel Discussions Podcast, Dan does say that rooting Booster to the current-day DC Universe is one of the things he's setting out to do as he returns to Booster. You figure that a re-formed JLI, the urgency of Flashpoint and maybe even having Rani around to keep him occupied are all things that will probably contribute to that. And as long as he's here in the present, I assume that the other things you're talking about, from endorsements to relationships, will be explored as well.

Smile

Glad to hear that Dan is coming back to Booster.
    Hopefully sales will go up a bit with the tie in to Flashpoint, and DC will keep the book around.
    Booster is always a fun read
    It would be great if Superman got to know the real Booster, just as Bruce does !

Booster Gold has quickly become one my favorite characters, perhaps second only to the Flash.

His book is awesome, and I'm impressed that he's nearing the 50th issue mark.

I like that he can "never be an A-lister" in the eyes of the world and I like that he is still a bit of shill. It makes him a perfectly flawed character with such depth. I do wish they'd script him better when he's covering up. In Time Masters Vanishing Point, when Zoom reveals to Superman and Hal that he is a criminal, and Hal responds with "We offered you membership into the JLA! What were we thinking? Booster's response was very...weak. I would have expected more "arrogance" (false arrogance as his cover, as opposed to weak willed.)

But that aside, Booster Gold is the most enjoyable book out there today for me, along with JL:Gen Lost. (also starring Booster)

Not only are we (probably) going to see this volume of BOOSTER GOLD double the length of the original series, but the same creator has been at the forefront of it for almost the entire run.

Has that ever happened before?

I am very happy that Dan is returning to Booster. But I am dismayed that it will be just a part of Flashpoint. I have lost my taste for any crossover event and do not read Flash. I hope I can read and follow Booster without buying the other books involved. I was able to enjoy the last year without reading Generation Lost, I found just knowing the premise was enough since these were ancillary stories and not integral or continued to the GL book.
    I'll have to see. I would hate to drop the book until Flashpoint is over.

Can anyone give me some pointers towards a correct reading order of Booster Gold TPB's post 52? I loved the character in that series, and I'd love to get some more material on him.

No one does Booster Gold quite as well as Dan Jurgens, so this news makes me quite giddy. I haven't read the last few issues of Booster Gold (but plan to rectify that situation immediately) so I'm not sure how good they were, but I did enjoy the previous storyline featuring the JLI (but then I love everything that has to do with the JLI).

I whole-heartedly support the idea of giving Booster a better rogues gallery. I'm hoping for Chronos and his sister, and the Time Stealers, as they are all really great characters that can work really well for a character like Booster.