Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: kaboom! Announces "Peanuts" OGN

BOOM! Studios will release the first graphic novel based on Charles Schulz's "Peanuts" as part of the kaboom! kids imprint. Based on the new animated special, "Happiness is a Warm Blanket, Charlie Brown" ships in March.

Full article here.

This looks perfect....

a curious wanderer OBrianTallent's Avatar

I am so stoked for this book!!
    Not all who wander are lost....

The dude responsible for "Pearls Before Swine" is on co-writer duties?! I'm not sure if that's terrible or amazing!

I gotta say, the art in this looks better than the last 10 to 20 years of Charles Schulz's stuff... the illustrators are doing a fantastic job. It looks like they're using the best aspects of characters who have had a wide range of looks in their 60+ year history.

Stephan Pastis co-writing is a definite plus!

Wow, it ships in March?
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.

And either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives.

Fraggin' Bastich

Oooooh, I want!!

I like good comics. ScotsScribbler's Avatar

Great idea, why didn't someone think of this earlier?

Peanuts as a monthly would be pretty hot too? Either a traditional comic book size or a digest like Archie et al.

Quote Originally Posted by AnarCHris View Post
    The dude responsible for "Pearls Before Swine" is on co-writer duties?! I'm not sure if that's terrible or amazing!
    I'm going to go with "amazing". In fact, Pastis is just about the only newspaper comic strip creator out there that I would trust with "Peanuts".

Quote Originally Posted by AnarCHris View Post
    It's actually very much a good thing. I don't think I've seen any person currently doing comic strips who has expressed as deep a love, respect, and admiration for Schulz's work as Pastis has.

Heck, if it weren't for Schulz, we wouldn't even have Pearls Before Swine.

these preview pages really look great, good job to capture the characters, i will most likely pick this new graphic novel up
    Likes: Astro City, Batman, JL Dark, American Vampire, Fables, Fairest, iZombie, Sandman, Chew, Empowered, Lady Mechanika, Locke & Key, Moriarty, Mudman, Reed Gunther, Skullkickers ...

OK, this is not "original" material. It's all taken from the comic strip - in fact, they more or less acknowledge as much when they note it's written by Charles Schulz. So don't be fooled into thinking it's new stuff - they've just adapted the strips into a longer narrative.

I'm glad it's not original stuff...Peanuts NOT written by Schulz seems like blasphemy.

On the other hand, the fact that it's NOT original stuff seems like you could just pick up the Fantagraphics collections and be done with it. Stringing together strips to make a graphic novel seems like a weird decision on Boom's part. Personally, I've never been one to grab the comic version of a TV show or movie, particularly when you're getting charged 20 bucks for 80 pages of rehashed material.

Quote Originally Posted by Fielding View Post
    OK, this is not "original" material. It's all taken from the comic strip - in fact, they more or less acknowledge as much when they note it's written by Charles Schulz. So don't be fooled into thinking it's new stuff - they've just adapted the strips into a longer narrative.
    Also noted that Schulz's own son Craig Schulz is playing a role with adapting this story into print and Television.

I must say I was worried for a moment there thinking this could be new original stories of the gang, but they're just modern day retellings of some of Charles Schulz classic storylines.

It will be interesting to see when this comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by gamegeek1981 View Post
    I'm glad it's not original stuff...Peanuts NOT written by Schulz seems like blasphemy.

On the other hand, the fact that it's NOT original stuff seems like you could just pick up the Fantagraphics collections and be done with it. Stringing together strips to make a graphic novel seems like a weird decision on Boom's part. Personally, I've never been one to grab the comic version of a TV show or movie, particularly when you're getting charged 20 bucks for 80 pages of rehashed material.
    Hang on, so you understand that this is ORIGINAL content based on an animated feature? So how come you also think this is stringing together strips to make a graphic novel?

I suggest you go and read this excellent article on how the the Schulz family are continuing Charles Schulz's legacy

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/war...E2%80%99-22105

There you might discover some of the honor the Schulz family feel to have this property bequeathed to them.

Maybe then you'll understand why Boom! a company with huge recent success in children's comics have been the ones to, in partnershp with the Schulz's, adapt this onto paper for a whole new audience.