Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Gone

Default Rape and superheroines

I like my stories with as little rape as possible, but Iīm starting to think Iīm in the minority here.
    So, for those who love the smell of rape in the morning, how about doing a thread devoted to superheroines that have and havenīt been raped/victimised, so we can see how widespread this problem is (it IS a problem, right? Iīm not taking crazy pills again, I hope?) and acess the state of the writersīmental landscapes?
    Letīs categorise the list like this:

a) heroines who were raped but got payback/closure.
    b) heroines who got raped but never got closure or payback or someone else (usually a male hero) did the payback FOR them.
    c) heroines who havenīt been raped. (Yet)

Bear in mind that the list starts with Queen Hipolyta and the amazons, which means that the rape camp (no pun intended) is already leading by 10,0001 to nil.
    They belong to both a) and b) fields, depending on how sorry Heracles is feeling that day.

This Earth's Donna Troy Donna M.'s Avatar

Anybody else here smell thread-drama bait? I do...

Just more of Zeu's b.s. And he knows it.

But he really just wants an open civil discussion. Right?

Gone

A list would suffice.

Too lazy to look it up yourself?

Or not really interested and just want to throw crap around?

Gone

Donīt like it, donīt post in it.

Honestly? The only one I can think of is that Bad Girl, Tarot? Which is not surprising given how tacky and gross Bad Girl comics are.

I don't know all that much about Hercules and the amazons. The Precrisis had a gentler iteration of that. I don't need to know how Heracles got off while the amazons were enslaved.

Otherwise, I got Starman and Nightwing....yes, that's right. Dare I say superheroes in the DCU have been plenty raped?.

Well there was that weird story with Ms Marvel...I don't know wtf is going on there. It also might have been retconned I'm not sure. That is the only one I could think of, I don't think it as common as the OP suggested

I'd be more interested in a compare/contrast with superheroes/heroines that have been raped or otherwise sexually assaulted. But I gather the flavor of these threads isn't to be tinged with strains of perspective or consideration.

Of course there's the infamous rape of Sue Dibny by Dr. Light. Mockingbird was raped by Phantom Rider. Kate Bishop and Inertia of the Ultimate version of the Squadron Supreme were raped I believe. And didn't Purple Man do things to Jessica Jones while he controlled her? I don't recall...

Quote Originally Posted by Beamish View Post
    And didn't Purple Man do things to Jessica Jones while he controlled her? I don't recall...
    He made her watch him rape other girls and beg him for some.

i haven't read to many comics with rape involved, and when it happened to Sue I wasn't sure of the deed until a few pages after the fact. I heard people describe what happen to Ms Marvel Carol Danvers as something akin to rape but i've only heard a few parts of that story.
    Rogue and Bishop's daughter would be called Discharge, and she'd touch people and drain all or some of their bioelectrical energy out of them causing them to either die or fall unconscious. She could then use this energy to extend her own life, heal herself, enhance her physical abilities (speed, strength, stamina,) or discharge it as various energy beams.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by americanwonder View Post
    Just more of Zeu's b.s. And he knows it.

But he really just wants an open civil discussion. Right?
    Or it's a masterstroke to get rid of those who weren't banned the first time around. Pretty sneaky, sis...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beamish View Post
    Of course there's the infamous rape of Sue Dibny by Dr. Light. Mockingbird was raped by Phantom Rider. Kate Bishop and Inertia of the Ultimate version of the Squadron Supreme were raped I believe. And didn't Purple Man do things to Jessica Jones while he controlled her? I don't recall...
    Wow, I didn't know that and those are a few more examples than I thought existed. The only example I was really aware of was Ms. Marvel, but only from rumors that I heard; the rest would be in the area of fanfic and fanart, of course. I believed that this theme was one example where Western mainstream comics needed to catch up with anime such as La Blue Girl, and I still do believe that to be the case despite those few examples. A Wonder Woman comic that came borderline to examining this theme, at least off panel and through narrative examples was Blue Amazon; such would be a good springboard for Dr. Psycho and Wonder Woman in the main title, hopefully beginning with #609 and forward and/or shortly afterwards, but addressing the theme on panel instead of off panel and in narratives.

When did Mockingbird (Bobbi right?) and Kate Bishop (the Hawkeye from young avengers right?) get raped?