Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Friends Describe Dwayne McDuffie's Legacy

Milestone co-creators Denys Cowan & Michael Davis, director Reggie Hudlin, voice actor Phil LaMarr and more pay their respects to the late Dwayne McDuffie in conversation with CBR, speaking to his personal and professional legacy.

Full article here.

I'm surprised there are no comments yet... Aside from the possible overstatements from the memorial in the article (really? responsible for Green Lantern's rise in popularity?), I think his greatest talent may have been converting the written page into mainstream-digestable animation episodes, while keeping the spirit of the original intact (while also modernizing them somewhat with modern issues such as a better reflection of current racial diversity).

I think it's a mistake for people to tie him too much to the idea of just pushing african-american/black representation in comics and animation. I think that degrades the message, even if that was his vehicle of choice most often (probably due to identifying with that struggle). His focus on diversity in general is probably the better way to put it, and it's saying that there's "no one" to fill his shoes just because there isn't currently another primarily african-american-focused writer pushing for representation in that area. Another writer could be inspired by the way he fought his battles, rather than the battle itself.

Huge loss for the comics and animation industries though. What would people consider his penultimate comic stories/runs?

Quote Originally Posted by Mindkiller View Post
    What would people consider his penultimate comic stories/runs?
    I think you're a bit confused on what penultimate means but I would also like to know what people think his best runs are seeing as I haven't read any of his books.

His work on Damage Control is good if you're looking for the funny in your comic books. But I think his best work is his stuff from Milestone; Static, Icon or Hardware are all excellent, with the first two being my favorite. There are a couple of Icon trades and both Static and Hardware have one collection each. (Static has two, but only one is from the original superior Milestone run.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mindkiller View Post
    (really? responsible for Green Lantern's rise in popularity?)
    Absolutely. There are people who saw the trailer and wondered why they changed the Green Lantern to a white guy. To those who watched the Justice League cartoon, John Stewart is the Green Lantern. And a lot more people watched that cartoon than read DC.

...as far as hyperbole, I'm sure John and Shayera didn't share the FIRST interracial kiss in animation (or even in the DCAU -- let's not forget that "al Ghul" is an Arabic name), but it was a significant moment nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Scud View Post
    I think you're a bit confused on what penultimate means but I would also like to know what people think his best runs are seeing as I haven't read any of his books.
    Whoops, I was kind of rambling a little and got caught up there. Best work was definitely what I was going for.

Also to answer a further post, all good information re:Milestone, I actually read most of those runs when they came out (and still have the issues). The fact that they weren't inaccessible to a middle-class white kid who didn't at the time really have any minority friends, or had never visited a stereotypical "urban" area, is an attest at Dwayne and the other Milestone creators' good writing; it wasn't just gimmicky forced-diversification; they were writing about the characters they wanted to, who mostly happened to be african-american.

Dwayne McDuffie ruled man! no Question he will be missed!

The highlight of SD Comic Con was to see him and the Milestone crew just shoot the bleep at Black Panel. He wasnt the oldest guy at the panels, but nearly everyone gave him "Dad" respect. I will miss him and his work dearly. He gives me hope to one day be in the business. Funny, I think he gave people in the business hope as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Thad View Post
    Absolutely. There are people who saw the trailer and wondered why they changed the Green Lantern to a white guy. To those who watched the Justice League cartoon, John Stewart is the Green Lantern. And a lot more people watched that cartoon than read DC.

...as far as hyperbole, I'm sure John and Shayera didn't share the FIRST interracial kiss in animation (or even in the DCAU -- let's not forget that "al Ghul" is an Arabic name), but it was a significant moment nonetheless.
    This.

I have some time off this week and have been watching the Justice League series as I did when I was younger which introduced me to Green Latern. It has reminded me that without a doubt the man made GL amazing in so many ways through his writing. He clearly had a lot of love for GL and all those characters. It's just so sad we won't hear from him again.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=31028

Perhaps the person who can best sum up the life and impact of Dwayne McDuffie is the man himself. In “Icon” issue three, penned by the late writer, Icon addresses a crowd thusly:

"As many of you have already witnessed, I am gifted with certain special abilities. I have possessed these gifts for many years but for the most part have refrained from using them.

“No more.

“Today I set a challenge for myself, a challenge to be of service to humanity. I will do this by being a living example of what's possible. I intend to hold myself to a very high standard. I ask no less of you. I challenge you to challenge yourselves. You are all gifted with special abilities. Strive to live up to your potential, as I will strive to live up to mine. I can fly -- so can you!"

Dwayne McDuffie is survived by his wife, Charlotte, his mother, Edna McDuffie-Gardner, and all his loving, grateful fans.
    Hopefully Maestro's colleagues and DC could do a tribute 'Shadowland' kinda arc in honor of McDuffie/Maestro focused on all Milestone xcters & DC xcters he/Maestro contributed gr8ly 2.

Perhaps Marvel could also do d same thing using Marvel xcters McDuffie has worked on in his career.

Who would like 4 dis 2 happen?

Any1....in honor of d legend.

Unhappy

I remember Damage Control being the first time I encountered Dwayne's work and thinking what a unique series it was. Nobody had ever thought of doing something like that before.

A few years back, I bought the JLU animated series on DVD where Dwayne appears in a special feature along with Bruce Timm, James Tucker, and Mark Hamill. I'm thinking back to that interview and still can't believe that Dwayne is gone. It just won't sink in...

I remember him best for his animation work which has motivated me to try some of his comics and other comics as well. He will be missed.

Dwayne McDuffie was a collossus amongst creators so it's really sad and totally disgraceful that he was rarely given his due while still in the land of the living.

May his soul rest in peace and may his surviving family members be given the strength to bear this monumental loss.
    Brother Chaos Bringer

Professional TROLL killer

Awww! YoU caught my logic slug. Did it hurt your brain?