Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Marvel .1 Confusion.

I just got back into comics after a few months or so and I am having a hard time catching back up particularly in the ".1" part. Let's focus on Amazing Spiderman and Invincible Iron Man. they have two of what seems to be the same issue Spiderman has 654.1 and 654 and Iron man has 500.1 and 500.

What's the difference? And which one starts the new story arc?

The #.1 issues are New Reader Friendly issues that allow readers to catch up on the characters and the story.

The issue following the #.1 issue should start the new a brand new storyline moving forward from there.
    Super Hero Squad Online - Curious Mad General - Current Rank: 1300.

True Believer - Proud Purchaser Of The Marvel Heroes Ultimate Pack!

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

Point one issues are self-contained starting points. If you want a reading order, it's just numerical. 654.1 is the next issue after 654.
    Expletive Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    The #.1 issues are New Reader Friendly issues that allow readers to catch up on the characters and the story.

The issue following the #.1 issue should start the new a brand new storyline moving forward from there.
    So, should I start then with 654 or 655? (Also 500 or 501)

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

Amazing Spider-Man 654 is the last part of a four part storyline. Start with either 654.1 or 655.

Invincible Iron Man 500 is also a self-contained story. You can either start there, 500.1, or 501.
    Expletive Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post
    Amazing Spider-Man 654 is the last part of a four part storyline. Start with either 654.1 or 655.

Invincible Iron Man 500 is also a self-contained story. You can either start there, 500.1, or 501.
    Ok thanks very much for the clear up

If you really want to start on Amazing Spider-Man, I suggest starting with issue #648. That was the start of BIG TIME and Dan Slott's solo run on the title. #654.1 is good too, but it's mostly a Venom story in case you didn't know. #648 is where you should begin

the .1 issues cost a buck less than the regular issues. Its basically Marvel saying hey try this issue out and if you like pay a buck more next month.

Buy neither and wait for the trade to come out

(nice avatar btw lol)

Hammer Wielding Member thinbalion's Avatar

Let me point out the irony of a new reader being confused by an initiative that's supposed to create "reader" friendly jumping on points...

This is just about the most confusing way for Marvel to have achieved this... but that's just my opinion.
    "... but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - [time is] more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."

The Comic Age

A Kick up the Jacksie! Whitster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thinbalion View Post
    Let me point out the irony of a new reader being confused by an initiative that's supposed to create "reader" friendly jumping on points...

This is just about the most confusing way for Marvel to have achieved this... but that's just my opinion.
    Also the timings well off on alot of them, the .1 for Wolverine, X-Force and Deadpool all came out or are planned to come out smack-bang in the middle of an ongoing storyline, meaning any new reader is going to pick up the next issue and be completely lost.
    We hate Millwall, and we hate Millwall.....

Bring back Dai Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Whitster View Post
    Also the timings well off on alot of them, the .1 for Wolverine, X-Force and Deadpool all came out or are planned to come out smack-bang in the middle of an ongoing storyline, meaning any new reader is going to pick up the next issue and be completely lost.
    Both of these are great points.

And this could just be me, but from the issues I have read, they really don't serve to introduce the readers to much. They don't seem to "catch them up on what's going on."

Wolverine #5.1 was about a failed birthday party and came in the middle of an arc.

Iron Man #500.1 was Tony going to AA. You can make the argument that it gives a lot of back story, but I feel like it would still be hard for a reader to jump in with just this.

ASM #654.1 was basically Venom #0.1 How does this catch anyone up for Spider-Man?

Quote Originally Posted by iron mind View Post
    Both of these are great points.

And this could just be me, but from the issues I have read, they really don't serve to introduce the readers to much. They don't seem to "catch them up on what's going on."

Wolverine #5.1 was about a failed birthday party and came in the middle of an arc.

Iron Man #500.1 was Tony going to AA. You can make the argument that it gives a lot of back story, but I feel like it would still be hard for a reader to jump in with just this.

ASM #654.1 was basically Venom #0.1 How does this catch anyone up for Spider-Man?
    But it builds hype and sells comics... which is the real point. I just wish they wouldn't try to sell it as something it's not.
    "... but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - [time is] more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."

The Comic Age

Quote Originally Posted by iron mind View Post
    Dan Slott pretty much admitted on an iFanboy podcast that there wasn't room between 654's big events and the aftermath issue in 655 to tell a story that would catch anyone up, so they used it to introduce readers to Venom and set up the characters ongoing series. One thing I think it did do well for ASM, though, is provide a good representation of the style of writing and art that one could expect in the ongoing series and did it in a done-in-one stand alone story that didn't require that you've read the last issue and doesn't require the next issue to be completed. On that level, I think it succeeds. If you're just looking at it as an introduction to the world of Spider-Man storywise, it probably doesn't. Different expectations, I guess.

What I don't get is why we need .1's so close to actual #1s. Why Wolverine 5.1? The series is only five issues old already! Wasn't #1 the jumping on point? And if it wasn't, why was the series renumbered in the first place? *That's* stupid in my opinion. Same can be said for the Uncanny X-Force .1.

Quote Originally Posted by CSPDX View Post
    Dan Slott pretty much admitted on an iFanboy podcast that there wasn't room between 654's big events and the aftermath issue in 655 to tell a story that would catch anyone up, so they used it to introduce readers to Venom and set up the characters ongoing series. One thing I think it did do well for ASM, though, is provide a good representation of the style of writing and art that one could expect in the ongoing series and did it in a done-in-one stand alone story that didn't require that you've read the last issue and doesn't require the next issue to be completed. On that level, I think it succeeds. If you're just looking at it as an introduction to the world of Spider-Man storywise, it probably doesn't. Different expectations, I guess.

What I don't get is why we need .1's so close to actual #1s. Why Wolverine 5.1? The series is only five issues old already! Wasn't #1 the jumping on point? And if it wasn't, why was the series renumbered in the first place? *That's* stupid in my opinion. Same can be said for the Uncanny X-Force .1.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, numbering is becoming meaningless.

Sure, it still counts for the big titles (but even so look at Fantastic Four)... but with ever decreasing attention spans, it's always going to be about what's new, not a good solid legacy.

The Comic Age