Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Friends, Fans Pay Tribute to Dwayne McDuffie

During Wednesday evening's Tribute to Dwayne McDuffie at Los Angeles' Golden Apple, the creator's friends Reggie Hudlin, Denys Cowan, Michael Davis and Kevin Rubio bid the visionary writer a tearful farewell.

Full article here.

When I saw the headlines,it shook me to the core. What great saddness,but thanks for leaving us w/some great chracters like Hardware
    "Everybody's Waiting," Six Feet Under finale episode
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el4eUKmLujg

http://i.imgur.com/hcuBe43.gif

I just spoke to Dwayne a few days ago and he was chipper and witty as always.

I must tell you that my grief knows no bounds. Every day that I wake up, I think that I will feel better, but I don't. I vacillate between shock and disbelief, interrupted by moments of weeping sadness.

I don't think the world--not even the tiny, insular world that we comic readers reside in--understands the magnitude of our loss. This man is completely and utterly irreplaceable. The industry is forever changed.

Whatever shall we do?

This is for you Dwayne: http://sonofbaldwin.blogspot.com/2011/02/giant.html
    Son of Baldwin: The literary, sociopolitical, psychosexual, pop cultural blog. Live from Bedford-Stuyvesant.

I teared up reading that and now I'm gonna finish getting the rest of the stuff I'm missing from my Milestone collection

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by 4PointOh View Post
    I just spoke to Dwayne a few days ago and he was chipper and witty as always.

I must tell you that my grief knows no bounds. Every day that I wake up, I think that I will feel better, but I don't. I vacillate between shock and disbelief, interrupted by moments of weeping sadness.

I don't think the world--not even the tiny, insular world that we comic readers reside in--understands the magnitude of our loss. This man is completely and utterly irreplaceable. The industry is forever changed.

Whatever shall we do?

This is for you Dwayne: http://sonofbaldwin.blogspot.com/2011/02/giant.html
    I know where you're coming from. There's such an intensity of malevolent darkness to almost all media these days, and most of us have been so overwhelmed by it that all we can do is define and curse at the sheer intensity. Hence, we write hardcore sociopaths in a vain effort to process the sheer incoherent wrongness of the input, and hope that somebody can figure it out. Yet, there was Dwayne, lighting candles of sanity and decency everywhere.

It may sound odd, but I think that the new generation of positive animation creators that embody Dwayne's spirit will be found by sifting through fanfiction.net and similar archives for the cream of the crop, and then let them grow into it. For example, there is a story there called (not-so) "Dark Titans" that shows strong signs of growing occasional brilliance as it goes along. I mentioned it to Dwayne some months ago in the Q&A thread, and hope that he checked it out.

I would also strongly recommend "Gold Digger" by Fred Perry, likely containing the greatest number of long-running single creator-produced issues of any western comics series this side of Groo and Cerebus, as the closest match for the spirit Dwayne showed in his animated works. I think that it could turn into a more long-running "Avatar the Last Airbender" with the right director. Although very sadly, the best possible director is no longer among us.

It still feels like a kick in the stomach to realize that yes it is true, he is gone....