Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Could "kaboom!" Blow Up In Court?

One obstacle that may lie in the way of BOOM! Studios relaunch of their kids comic line as kaboom! Comics is Rob Liefeld's trademark on "Kaboom," a teen superhero series he published through Awesome Entertainment.

Full article here.

Liefeld doesn't seem like the type of guy to get involved in lawsuits.
    formerly coke & comics

Sleepwalker is Sandman done right. ~Tadhg

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nowlin View Post
    Liefeld doesn't seem like the type of guy to get involved in lawsuits.
    Ahahahahahahahahah! Well played, sir.
    My new webcomic, Variables: http://selfcentent.com
    My personal blog site for sketches: http://www.rocketpig.net

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

This all seems like a "too friggen dumb" to make it to court. Waid as EIC of Boom should do this :

Make the kids line "Kidsa-Boom" . There ya go. Lawsuit prevented. Ya spell it like that with the kids part in a way and you can say , "Yes it is Ka-Boom , but were saying Kids Boom."
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    This all seems like a "too friggen dumb" to make it to court. Waid as EIC of Boom should do this :
    What's dumb is making a press release saying your new name before checking enough to make sure no one could claim you are breaching copyright.

Make the kids line "Kidsa-Boom" . There ya go. Lawsuit prevented. Ya spell it like that with the kids part in a way and you can say , "Yes it is Ka-Boom , but were saying Kids Boom."
    Dude, "kids-boom" is a stupid name.

Wow, just when things we going so well Leifield had to go ruined it...LEIFIELD!!!

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MNM View Post
    What's dumb is making a press release saying your new name before checking enough to make sure no one could claim you are breaching copyright.

Dude, "kids-boom" is a stupid name.
    Yes... and Kaboom is pure genuis here.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Liefled was forced to change his character's name from Bedrock to Badrock because of a TM claim, so I can understand why he wants to protect his marks. Also, TMs are an "enforce it or lose it" area of the law. So people should really get off the backs of TM owners who enforce their rights.

With that said. Book titles are not trademarks and are not in and of themselves trademarkable. I'm curious to know how else Liefeld has used the term KABOOM to say that it's more than just a book title, but an identifier of goods.

From where I'm standing BOOM! is the first user of KABOOM as a trademark (for identifying kids comics), so they should win.

BOOM! should re-name their kids' line "Liefeld". That'd show him.

Is there a problem with Oprahs company Harpo and the merchandising related to Harpo Marx?

I loved the Kaboom comic, maybe Liefeld has future plans for it or at least wants to protect possible future plans for it. It could work as a cartoon or somesuch, if I owned it I would be concerned. In the least he should be able to assure his rights in using the name right now. They could both use it but taking legal action now might allow him to clearly use it in the future so he does not have something like that Champions thing happen to him. If Marvel was being more aware we might have a Champions book right now but the name is lost to us.
    You want I should bop you with this lollipop?

Wink

Liefeld has his lawyers drafting a complaint? He should have them drafting comics pages, they'd look better than what he's turned out for the last decade or so!

I'd think being associated with a competent, professional publisher like Boom!, even by mistake, could only increase the value of whatever trademarks he might have in a moribund property that hasn't published any new material in about fifteen years.

Rob doesn't even remember when he last published the book -- he says the collection was published "last year", but every web report I saw said 2009. Or maybe he just doesn't know what year it is now.

KA-BOOM!

Quote Originally Posted by N Caligon View Post
    Liefeld has his lawyers drafting a complaint? He should have them drafting comics pages, they'd look better than what he's turned out for the last decade or so!

I'd think being associated with a competent, professional publisher like Boom!, even by mistake, could only increase the value of whatever trademarks he might have in a moribund property that hasn't published any new material in about fifteen years.

Rob doesn't even remember when he last published the book -- he says the collection was published "last year", but every web report I saw said 2009. Or maybe he just doesn't know what year it is now.

KA-BOOM!
    It's only two months into 2011, I tend to still think of '09 as last year as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post

Why not just call it "Kiboom"?

I'd be interested in knowing whether the Liefeld Kaboom trademark is still valid.

Has the registration been kept up to date?

Has the trademark actually been used in commerce by Liefeld in the recent past?

There at least two comic shops using the name "Kaboom" or "Ka-boom". Has Liefeld taken legal action against them and if not does that constitute abandonment?
    Visit the Ace Comics & Games Digital shopfront:
    http://www.acecomics.comicretailer.com

While I'm at it, the Wikipedia disambiguation page for Kaboom.

there is a good case to be made that Kaboom is a common word and that Liefeld's mark, asssuming he's kept up the registration, only protects the unique and distinctive elements such as the font used in the title and the visual likeness of the character.
    Visit the Ace Comics & Games Digital shopfront:
    http://www.acecomics.comicretailer.com