Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 81
  1. #1
    Mild-Mannered Reporter
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    28,912

    Default CBR: ADVANCE PREVIEW: "Herc" #1

    Marvel COmics has released an advance look at "Herc" #1 by Greg Pak, Fred Van Lente and Neil Edwards, with covers by Carlos Pagulayan and John Romita Jr. The Prince of Power comes to Brooklyn April 6, 2011!


    Full article here.

  2. #2
    Science > Politics Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Monroe, NY
    Posts
    5,095

    Default

    Herc's not messing around.

    Why do criminals in the Marvel Universe always speak so well?
    Every week, I write about the science in comic books and what it says about our real world!
    Check it out, if you'd like!

  3. #3
    Agent Of Atlas Beast's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    20,686

    Default

    Hmmm. I know they're just gang members who asked for it, but Hercules murdering people just puts me off the book.

    I do like the usage of the mythological weapons to replace his lost powers. But it's a bit much. Should call the book EXTREME HERC!

    Seems to be done more for shock value for the preview than for any real in-universe reason. Which I always find cheesy.

    Just seems to be a shout that it's not the same old Hercules book. So please buy me! Glad I'm passing on this one.
    Super Hero Squad Online - Curious Mad General - Current Rank: 1300.

    True Believer - Proud Purchaser Of The Marvel Heroes Ultimate Pack!

  4. #4
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,365

    Default

    Another hero turned intoa murderer.

    Miss the days when being an Avengers stood for something.

  5. #5
    Futurist Detective TonyStark1012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New Orleans, La
    Posts
    9,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrewulf View Post
    Another hero turned intoa murderer.

    Miss the days when being an Avengers stood for something.
    That looks like self defense to me. Not murder. Hercules was protecting the innocent.
    "That's not just "one man"! That's TONY FREAKING STARK. You're intel should've warned us that he was James Bond and "Q" wrapped in the same guy!" Cobra

  6. #6
    Just Sayin'
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Middle of Hell, OH
    Posts
    8,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    Hmmm. I know they're just gang members who asked for it, but Hercules murdering people just puts me off the book.

    I do like the usage of the mythological weapons to replace his lost powers. But it's a bit much. Should call the book EXTREME HERC!

    Seems to be done more for shock value for the preview than for any real in-universe reason. Which I always find cheesy.

    Just seems to be a shout that it's not the same old Hercules book. So please buy me! Glad I'm passing on this one.
    Herc is powerless now so its gonna be tough to not kill a bunch of people attacking him.

    The art is pretty good and the preview was good so Im on board for the 1st issue.

  7. #7

    Default

    Think about it this way, this depicts actually what would happen to a normal person when fighting against a person with the combat skills or strength of an Avenger. I mean what do you think happens to the people Wolverine fights? Or even a nobel guy like Cap, if a normal person takes a stronger than titanium disc bash to any part of their body, bones will shatter. It will be interesting seeing how the series actually pans out.

  8. #8
    Wol with it. SuperCooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,567

    Default

    Anybody else notice Herc's smile when he pulls out the shield? Good stuff.

  9. #9
    Agent Of Atlas Beast's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    20,686

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Brown View Post
    Herc is powerless now so its gonna be tough to not kill a bunch of people attacking him.

    The art is pretty good and the preview was good so Im on board for the 1st issue.
    Why does being powerless make it tough for him not to be a murderer?

    In fact, it should be easier for him to not accidentally kill people with no super strength.

    Just seems poor justification for EXTREME HERC. So I don't buy it for a second.
    Super Hero Squad Online - Curious Mad General - Current Rank: 1300.

    True Believer - Proud Purchaser Of The Marvel Heroes Ultimate Pack!

  10. #10
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Maybe so but this is Hercules. Pak/Van Lente have always stressed how much they go back to the original myths and Herc was never one to shy away from killing his opponents. He's been softened in the Marvel Universe since the golden age. But in reality this is far closer to Herc's true character. Herc doesn't murder per se, but in battle he doesn't hold back or worry about someone dying. In his time it was kill or be killed.

    To me it's perfectly in character.

    I loved the preview myself.

  11. #11
    Veteran Member John Zaleski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    5,522

    Default

    added to pull
    Ready for the return of the one and only Spider-Man!!

  12. #12
    Elder Member BrotherUnitNo_4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    MARYLAND
    Posts
    13,149

    Default

    Honestly, that's a pretty awesome last panel.

    As to why Herc petrified them, it was to take out the crooks AND protect the girl. Only one of them needed to get past him to inflict some serious harm on her.

    Admittedly, Herc's fighting skills and shield should have been enough to take them all out of the picture. While it only takes one of them to get past, they're basically fighting in a corridor. It'll take them a lot of work to actually get past someone of his stature and abilities.

  13. #13
    Member Zomling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    The Sceptered Isle
    Posts
    920

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by soxtalon View Post
    Maybe so but this is Hercules. Pak/Van Lente have always stressed how much they go back to the original myths and Herc was never one to shy away from killing his opponents. He's been softened in the Marvel Universe since the golden age. But in reality this is far closer to Herc's true character. Herc doesn't murder per se, but in battle he doesn't hold back or worry about someone dying. In his time it was kill or be killed.

    To me it's perfectly in character.

    I loved the preview myself.
    This is absolutely correct. Besides Marvel's Herc has always killed, you only have to read the classic Layton stories to see that.

    I was on the fence about whether to buy this, but it's moved to the top of my must have list. Not sure what I'm going to drop, but this I will definitely buy.

  14. #14
    Just Sayin'
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Middle of Hell, OH
    Posts
    8,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    Why does being powerless make it tough for him not to be a murderer?

    In fact, it should be easier for him to not accidentally kill people with no super strength.

    Just seems poor justification for EXTREME HERC. So I don't buy it for a second.
    A group of people attacked him, he actually has to defend himself now. Before a group of non powered humans would be a joke to him. Nothing EXTREME about it.

  15. #15
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    24,751

    Default

    not a fan of that giant trash bag he is wearing.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •