Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: ADVANCE PREVIEW: "Herc" #1

Marvel COmics has released an advance look at "Herc" #1 by Greg Pak, Fred Van Lente and Neil Edwards, with covers by Carlos Pagulayan and John Romita Jr. The Prince of Power comes to Brooklyn April 6, 2011!

Full article here.

Herc's not messing around.

Why do criminals in the Marvel Universe always speak so well?
    Every week, I write about the science in comic books and what it says about our real world!
    Check it out, if you'd like!

Hmmm. I know they're just gang members who asked for it, but Hercules murdering people just puts me off the book.

I do like the usage of the mythological weapons to replace his lost powers. But it's a bit much. Should call the book EXTREME HERC!

Seems to be done more for shock value for the preview than for any real in-universe reason. Which I always find cheesy.

Just seems to be a shout that it's not the same old Hercules book. So please buy me! Glad I'm passing on this one.
    Super Hero Squad Online - Curious Mad General - Current Rank: 1300.

True Believer - Proud Purchaser Of The Marvel Heroes Ultimate Pack!

BANNED

Another hero turned intoa murderer.

Miss the days when being an Avengers stood for something.

Futurist Detective TonyStark1012's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrewulf View Post
    Another hero turned intoa murderer.

Miss the days when being an Avengers stood for something.
    That looks like self defense to me. Not murder. Hercules was protecting the innocent.
    "That's not just "one man"! That's TONY FREAKING STARK. You're intel should've warned us that he was James Bond and "Q" wrapped in the same guy!" Cobra

Just Sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    Hmmm. I know they're just gang members who asked for it, but Hercules murdering people just puts me off the book.

I do like the usage of the mythological weapons to replace his lost powers. But it's a bit much. Should call the book EXTREME HERC!

Seems to be done more for shock value for the preview than for any real in-universe reason. Which I always find cheesy.

Just seems to be a shout that it's not the same old Hercules book. So please buy me! Glad I'm passing on this one.
    Herc is powerless now so its gonna be tough to not kill a bunch of people attacking him.

The art is pretty good and the preview was good so Im on board for the 1st issue.

Think about it this way, this depicts actually what would happen to a normal person when fighting against a person with the combat skills or strength of an Avenger. I mean what do you think happens to the people Wolverine fights? Or even a nobel guy like Cap, if a normal person takes a stronger than titanium disc bash to any part of their body, bones will shatter. It will be interesting seeing how the series actually pans out.

Anybody else notice Herc's smile when he pulls out the shield? Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Brown View Post
    Herc is powerless now so its gonna be tough to not kill a bunch of people attacking him.

The art is pretty good and the preview was good so Im on board for the 1st issue.
    Why does being powerless make it tough for him not to be a murderer?

In fact, it should be easier for him to not accidentally kill people with no super strength.

Just seems poor justification for EXTREME HERC. So I don't buy it for a second.
    Super Hero Squad Online - Curious Mad General - Current Rank: 1300.

True Believer - Proud Purchaser Of The Marvel Heroes Ultimate Pack!

Maybe so but this is Hercules. Pak/Van Lente have always stressed how much they go back to the original myths and Herc was never one to shy away from killing his opponents. He's been softened in the Marvel Universe since the golden age. But in reality this is far closer to Herc's true character. Herc doesn't murder per se, but in battle he doesn't hold back or worry about someone dying. In his time it was kill or be killed.

To me it's perfectly in character.

I loved the preview myself.

added to pull
    Ready for the return of the one and only Spider-Man!!

Honestly, that's a pretty awesome last panel.

As to why Herc petrified them, it was to take out the crooks AND protect the girl. Only one of them needed to get past him to inflict some serious harm on her.

Admittedly, Herc's fighting skills and shield should have been enough to take them all out of the picture. While it only takes one of them to get past, they're basically fighting in a corridor. It'll take them a lot of work to actually get past someone of his stature and abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by soxtalon View Post
    Maybe so but this is Hercules. Pak/Van Lente have always stressed how much they go back to the original myths and Herc was never one to shy away from killing his opponents. He's been softened in the Marvel Universe since the golden age. But in reality this is far closer to Herc's true character. Herc doesn't murder per se, but in battle he doesn't hold back or worry about someone dying. In his time it was kill or be killed.

To me it's perfectly in character.

I loved the preview myself.
    This is absolutely correct. Besides Marvel's Herc has always killed, you only have to read the classic Layton stories to see that.

I was on the fence about whether to buy this, but it's moved to the top of my must have list. Not sure what I'm going to drop, but this I will definitely buy.

Just Sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    Why does being powerless make it tough for him not to be a murderer?

In fact, it should be easier for him to not accidentally kill people with no super strength.

Just seems poor justification for EXTREME HERC. So I don't buy it for a second.
    A group of people attacked him, he actually has to defend himself now. Before a group of non powered humans would be a joke to him. Nothing EXTREME about it.

BANNED

not a fan of that giant trash bag he is wearing.