Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default DCU online... its been a while since its out... still worth it?

Many folks have declined to purchase it due to the cost of the monthly fee. I am one of those people lol.

Its been out for a bit, now those of you who arent a tight wad such as myself... how is it working for you? is it worth it for ya? does the fee bug ya?

You can blaze through all the content and hit level cap in 2 weeks, there isn't enough of it too keep you playing.
    It's got some good, and some godawful voice acting, bad animation in the cutscenes, not explained enough skill system, annoying targeting quirks that have apprently exsisted since beta, and a shallow combat system.

If you want a game that will last, i'd skip it, it's dying on it's feet in month 2 with no positive word of mouth and average to bad review scores.

If you really really like the DCU, i dunno, it might be worth it for a month to check it out.

What kind of population drop have you seen since the 30 days came up? I still haven't re-upped for more months yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueferret View Post
    What kind of population drop have you seen since the 30 days came up? I still haven't re-upped for more months yet.
    Its actually quite noticeable much less people are playing it. I still loving the shit out of it.

Tried it for a bit. The visuals were good but the glitchy controls and lack of mouse-targeting turned me off.

Tried it & went back to City of Heroes. No comparison.

queen of the stone age Wilder Midnight's Avatar

well i just had a three day weekend and i played the game once for about an hour an a half and that was that.

overall the game does have its moments...but its insanely repetitive and character creation options are limited to a few powers.

its a very frustrating game to play. if this were anything else but a DC rpg game I wouldn't be bothered so much...but its a DC rpg game. I really wanted this to be the best mind blowing game ever...and its more like a brain fart.

i don't see myself extending my subscription past the three month mark.
    it's the end of the world as we know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
    Its actually quite noticeable much less people are playing it. I still loving the shit out of it.
    I haven't seen any of the servers above medium capacity for a couple of weeks now. It's good enough that I picked up the reduced 3 month sub but I'm really hoping they do more to improve the numbers.

I'm playing on the PS3 though. Is anyone playing on PC? I curious to know if it's more crowded.

Has anyone figured out a decent chat option on the PS3? There is a noticeable lack of communication on the servers.

If anyone is playing as villain in No Man's Land let me know on PS3.

I really wanted to like this a lot, but it's very bare-bones compared to City of Heroes or World of Warcraft.

As mentioned, there are not a lot of power sets to pick from, which meant there were a lot of character ideas I couldn't use. While the character customization is a lot more involved than WoW, it falls short of City of Heroes. You can't change your character's face or body type aside from 'Large,' 'Medium,' and 'Small,' and unless you put a helmet or something on the male face, he's scowling all the time :)

The controls really aren't very intuitive, and there are issues with targeting.

All that being said, I'm still playing (I actually only got the game a week or so ago), but I don't know for how long.

I really should have known better, only because of Sony Online Entertainment, or SOE. They started the ball really rolling with Everquest, completely screwed up EQII, eviscerated Star Wars:Galaxies (a Star Wars license for an online game, how do you screw that up?), and fast became (IMHO) irrelevant between the fiasco with Galaxies and when Blizzard produced World of Warcraft and made the idea of an MMO game mainstream in the US.

It's a nice game, needs a lot of polish, but it COULD work. I really hope it does, because the concept of a game in the DCU like this is a great one.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised to see it become Free-To-Play like Lord of the Rings Online or Dungeons and Dragons Online, and making more money with a company store to buy extras for your characters.

Take it and run,

Quote Originally Posted by Jackassassin View Post
    Many folks have declined to purchase it due to the cost of the monthly fee. I am one of those people lol.

Its been out for a bit, now those of you who arent a tight wad such as myself... how is it working for you? is it worth it for ya? does the fee bug ya?
    If monthly fees is the thing keeping you from playing then you shouldn't play any MMO. Your paying for the online experience, updates, content and saving your stuff off site. I find nothing more interesting then forming a team with other humans your not in the room with and trying to make a party work.

It is a far more intriguing thing than playing by yourself with AI team mates or solo.

I have played MMO's for 7-8 years now and I don't bat my eye at a $15 monthly fee, as everything else around us has gone up in price the montly fee hasn't changed. Frankly $15 is less than an hours worth of work for me.
    Last edited by Jadeskies; 03-02-2011 at 10:10 AM.

If the complaint is content then don't play for 6 months and come back later, then they will have content and power sets. Its kind of unfair to claim a brand new game doesn't have enough content when you come in at the opening bell. The older larger content MMO's all started small and built on them but nobody seems to see that it took years for them to get that way.

I don't think that's unfair at all. If the game doesn't have enough content to grab you from the get-go, or enough to at least leave you wanting more (in a "That was fun, I want more" way, not a "That's it?" way) that's not the fault of the subscriber. Why come back in 6 months if they didn't impress you in the first? It's the developers' fault for releasing the game before it was ready, and dipping their toe in the water instead of jumping right in (It's called DC Universe, not DC Two Cities and a Home Base).
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 03-02-2011 at 12:15 PM.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Eddard Stark's other bastard

"Metaphors? I hate metaphors! That's why my favorite book is Moby Dick. No frou-frou symbolism, just a good simple tale about a man who hates an animal." ~Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by Jadeskies View Post
    If the complaint is content then don't play for 6 months and come back later, then they will have content and power sets. Its kind of unfair to claim a brand new game doesn't have enough content when you come in at the opening bell. The older larger content MMO's all started small and built on them but nobody seems to see that it took years for them to get that way.
    With all due respect, Conn is correct. Ever since Blizzard rewrote the landscape of online games -- and yes, WoW had its share of problems -- that excuse doesn't work anymore.

There are lots of games competing for my $14.99 plus tax, and this isn't a fly-by-night. This is Warner Brothers and Sony Online Entertainment. If the content isn't there, they won't grab the subscribers, and it won't GET the content.

Or, it'll go the Star Trek Online route (which I still play), and charge you for some of these new things (ships, player races, extra character slots) under the justification of it funding said new content. That might be true, but it won't sit well with people (not saying DCU Online will do this).

Because of Blizzard and WoW, new online MMOs HAVE to come out of the gate with a more polished product, or die. Look at things like Age of Conan, who have either become Free-To-Play (and pay for extra content) or gone belly-up.

I understand your sentiment, but it's a new world out there, and the excuse won't necessarily fly with the potential subscribers. I'll stay a few months, but I don't know that everyone will as the free month expires.

Take it and run,