Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Archaia's 2011 Angoulême Report

Archaia Comics founder Mark Smylie shared his impressions of and lessons learned during his recent visit France and the 2011 Angoulême festival, the world's largest celebration of comic books and their creators.

Full article here.
    Last edited by thespianphryne; 02-18-2011 at 01:26 PM. Reason: angoulême

Yes, there is indeed a world outside the US -- there was before and there will be afterwards, too.

Thank you, Mr Smylie, for your excessive account of the goings-on in France told from an outsider's view.

Praise to you also also for bringing French "Bandes Dessineés" [Comics] to your country. Funny enough here in Germany it is easier for me to purchase the American issues of the Archaia published 'Secret History' comics that were written and drawn in France, printed as I understand in Korea, shipped from there to the US and furthermore forwarded to Germany -- you Americans were always clever in all mercantile ways.

The distinction made between French and American comics stems from a different POV based upon the different languages and the therefore inherent ways of thinking. British readers adapt far more easily to the concepts of US-comics than continental Europeans speaking French, Italian, German or Spain. So to speak French comics work on a different level than American comics and that is no judgment as to value but rather a cultural variation.

Thanks again, Mr Smylie, I am looking forward to your future publishing endeavor of French (European) comics in the American market.

Look at the sales of American comics. It's a shame. Something's got to change. Get your act together!

Quote Originally Posted by brocca View Post
    Look at the sales of American comics. It's a shame. Something's got to change. Get your act together!
    What is, exactly?
    The great American titles such as Mouseguard, Hellboy, the BPRD or the Goon aren't doing that badly do they? As a matter of fact, maybe those titles could be forming 'the change'?
    Like other titles may have proven being a change in the past? Like the Dark Knight Returns? The Watchmen? TMNT? Kirby & Stan Lee material? Eisner?

Maybe comics keep on changing all the time, more or less, sooner or later?

Maybe the art of pushing books is just a matter of getting one's act together continuously as much as possible?

And would European comics or bandes dessinnées be doing just perfectly dandy of late? I would call that a pretty strange claim actually. Maybe booklovers or book-makers worldwide are basically all in the same boat.
    If so than I'll be betting my money on books being good, for the boat not to go down altogether...!
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

just a correction: troy is not a series by lanfeust. "lanfeust of troy" is the names of the series. lafeust is a character in it.

otherwise, cool article. i've been in angouleme twice, it was nice...

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by invisiblefive View Post
    just a correction: troy is not a series by lanfeust. "lanfeust of troy" is the names of the series. lafeust is a character in it.

otherwise, cool article. i've been in angouleme twice, it was nice...

Right. Lanfeust was created by Tarquin and Arleston, and lead to the creation of many series in the world of Troy (Lanfeust de Troy, Trolls de Troy, Lanfeust des Etoiles, Gnomes de Troy, Les Conquerants de Troy...).

For me it was THE bande dessinnee (Lanfeust de Troy) which started this great rebirth of the fantasy in the 2000s, lead by the publisher Soleil, which now overflows the market with mainstream material.

Concerning French movies, ("Haute Tension" rather than "Haut tension"), we have too few in this "new wave of French filmmaking" and we desperatly want more!!!

Otherwise I agree, great article, and I'm glad you had a good experience here in France!