Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Love the column, love the comics. Will Scalped get a bad ass, Sandman style omnibus? Hope so. I would love to see this series in a jumbo format. Also, Im reading DMZ in trade, so I got vol. 9, Avengers Academy is better than it should be, rivaling Morning Glories. Im liking Memoir, got issue #2 today.

Enjoyed the column. I have, at last count, 130 longboxes and about 20 magazine boxes. All full to the brim. I started buying in the mid-sixties and have complete runs of most Marvel super-heroes, as well as the best of every other company.

I agree that the overall quality level of comics is higher now than ever. However, I am very disappointed with today's Marvel super-heroes because most of them are unrecognizable to me. Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, etc., have different personalities and different costumes than the characters I've lived with since the sixties. I have no emotional investment in these new permutations. Who are these guys? And what happened to the characters I grew up with? I feel like contemporary Marvel and DC heroes are from an alternate timeline -- not the "true" heroes.

I also can't name five current artists that I love as much as, say, Neal Adams, Gil Kane, John Buscema, Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, Wally Wood, Reed Crandall, John Severin, Al Williamson, Gene Colan, Murphy Anderson, Joe Kubert, Russ Heath, etc.

In fact, most all of today's superstar artists can't tell a story nearly as well as the Silver Age's second-tier artists like Marie Severin, Herb Trimpe, Nick Cardy, and Sal Buscema.

Quote Originally Posted by wyldb View Post
    Must concur on Atomic Robo. If you haven't picked them up Clevenger wrote an Avengers Mini called Avengers and the Infinity Gauntlet and is coming out with a Cap One shot. Wegener is drawing the Avengers book based on the cartoon Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Great for kids and adults alike.
    Yeah, I'm bummed that Cap book got downgraded from series to miniseries to oneshot.
    Did you get the TacoBell IronMan comic that comes with a kids meal? 11 pages of Iron Man vs MODOK by Brian and Scott.

I have to agree. Atomic Robo is awesome! If aren't reading it, you should definitely check it out. The first 3 trades are on Comixology and are pretty cheap.

Default My collection

I've got all 4 X-Men #1 covers, aw yeah!! My retirement nest egg.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo Tomassi View Post
    Yeah, I'm bummed that Cap book got downgraded from series to miniseries to oneshot.
    Did you get the TacoBell IronMan comic that comes with a kids meal? 11 pages of Iron Man vs MODOK by Brian and Scott.
    Nice to see a few mentions of Atomic-Robo here. Didn't know about the Iron Man comic. Going to have to find it. Thanks for the info. And yes very disappointed about the Cap book.

Default Best time for comics

I believe that any time period in which a fan, reader or collector considers to be enjoyable to be the best era for comic books. It is a subjective assessment of personal choice, it is an pleasure factor, and that is inherently an individual choice.

That is also to me why reading and collecting comic books is such an enjoyable hobby of mine. And why I can confidently recommend it for anyone.

Strikeforce: Morituri. Hells yeah.

Marvel- revive Morituri and put Jason Aaron on it please. I'll buy 2 copies.

I kept mine in the attic for a long.. time.
    The main reason I took them down was to get rid of them, so... I started collecting again.

It's like my coffee story, at one time I was going to cut back on the number of sugar packets I put in my coffee, so I went from having 8 sugar packets...to 12.

So I got them out of the attic and started rereading and lovingly reorganizing and spent at least $200 on boxes and bags and boards.
    I can't seem to part with any of them, not yet, they are my old friends... and lovers... and... family... and childhood memories...all rolled up into an inanimate object. I'd give away my DVD's before I'd give away these.

I gave my seconds to my nephew at one time, but now I'm hanging onto them for my kids. AND I have these third copies that... I can't bring myself to just throw away... I've thought about giving them to goodwill but I never see comics at goodwill and I'm afraid they will throw them away.

There was a time I collect paperback novels... but I have given most of them away, except of course, those I had signed, because I never reread any of them.

BUT comics are a different matter...there is just something about them... that I can't give up... they bring a different kind of joy.

Default Favs

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Magus.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	73421
    By the same art team that brought you DV8: Gods and Monsters. Isaacs is a star on the rise and the Fiona Staples covers are beautiful.

Name:	ADcover2.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	73422
    Much like Joe Sacco, Neufeld illustrates how powerful the medium of comics can be by bringing a journalistic integrity to important issues.

Name:	Promethea.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	73423
    One of Alan Moore's overlooked gems and one of his best.

Name:	Exterminators.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	73424
    Tony Moore's art will make you squeamish, from zombies in The Walking Dead to this book full of nasty creep crawlies that jump right off the page at you. Have a can of Raid on standby.

Name:	Rex_Mundi.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	73425
    A great book by Arvid Nelson and Eric J that delves into the mysteries of Biblical apocrypha.

Also:
    The Unwritten, Sweet Tooth, iZombie, SHIELD, X-Factor, Chew and Memoir.

while there's many runs I'd have trouble parting with the 2 I'll always cherish were my favorite Marvel UK titles: Death's Head and Dragon's Claws. Good story, great art. man I miss those titles.