Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Where The Hell Am I - Feb 16, 2011

This week, Jason looks at his comic book collection, decides that this is the best era for quality comics in the history of the medium, offers his favorite series being published today and asks for your picks.

Full article here.

33408 is the other way ian33407's Avatar

I finally was at the right age to go into a comic-store when the Vertigo line was starting, I consider THE EXTREMIST by Peter Milligan and Ted McKeever as my first buying as an adult. Got the 4 issues, with their phone-calendar paper that can't suffer oleoptical-colourshit and-how-blessed-was-this-era...I except being buried with all my PLASTIC FORKS issues and issue 3 of STRAY TOASTER.
    " Things are going to slide in all directions "
    Leonard Cohen - The Future

Your basement looks like my basement. But with fewer longboxes. Amateur. Heh.

As for what I'm digging right now, I got to say 'Atomic Robo' by Clevinger and Wegener. Smart and hilarious. And something I can read with my kids. Which is next to impossible to find from the Big2.

From Vertigo I like Northlanders, Unwritten, Scalped, and before it got cancelled Madame Xanadu. I look forward to what Wagner does next.

Mainstream DC I like Batgirl, Gen Lost, Jonah Hex, and Secret Six.

Mainstream Marvel I like Avengers Academy, Slott's Amazing run, and Hickman's FF no matter what it's currently called.

First off, let me just say that it was a pleasure to read about the personal moments of the great Jason Aaron's own comic collection! Fun stuff! What was most interesting about this article was having someone (anyone) admit how large of a collection they have. I have had to sell off my collection of 25 years a few years back, only to start again and find that I just don't have the room for them now that I've moved in with my fiancé. Even so, monthly titles that I love...

The Walking Dead
    Scalped
    Fables
    Invincible Iron Man
    The Boys

Free album download at http://www.chancius.com

Terry Moore's ECHO is a favorite of mine. Scalped is amazing. The Pro led me to The Boys; both great fun. Madame Xanadu was such a treat; I love the way Matt Wagner handles magic. I loved the first volume of Powers. I'm just getting into Fables and loving it. Bone was great. League of Extraordinary Gentleman is always great. I adore The Abominable Charles Christopher, and got my copy signed by Karl Kerschl (with a sketch of Townsen included). I also got Frank Miller to autograph my copies of Daredevil #184 & Sin City, Hell and Back # 9; both of which have my letter printed in the letter page. Thanks for the article.
    Last edited by From The Cellar; 02-16-2011 at 08:10 PM.

Vet Reader, PT Commentor Island Summer's Avatar

"Starman" and "Strikeforce: Morituri" (along with its companion piece prestige series "Electric Undertow") are two of my 'never sell' runs as well!

I'm a year or two behind on what's currently running, but:

I'm pretty much a Mike Carey fanboy; CROSSING MIDNIGHT was one of the best books out there until it got canceled.

Not exactly new anymore, but GRIMJACK is an all-time favorite.

I KILL GIANTS was excellent. So was ELMER.

CHEW is great fun, or at least was through the first story arc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo Tomassi View Post
    As for what I'm digging right now, I got to say 'Atomic Robo' by Clevinger and Wegener. Smart and hilarious. And something I can read with my kids. Which is next to impossible to find from the Big2.

Must concur on Atomic Robo. If you haven't picked them up Clevenger wrote an Avengers Mini called Avengers and the Infinity Gauntlet and is coming out with a Cap One shot. Wegener is drawing the Avengers book based on the cartoon Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Great for kids and adults alike.

The Hellboy Universe books are truly epic. I can't believe how grand the story has become. I think The Goon is the most beautifully drawn book on the stands and just plain twisted. Just started picking up random Usagi Yojimbo trades. Just grab any trade. There really is no need to have any pre story. Stan Sakai is a master.

Default Long boxes? Tables? You're doing it wrong.

For $25 at Walmart you can get an ugly particle board bookshelf. These are absolutely perfect for comics. If the comics are bagged and boarded, they stand up on the shelves nicely and don't slide off. So, for the floor space of one long box, you can have a bookshelf with 5 times that many comics, and they are easier to look at and browse through. You could regain so much basement!

Jason, I am so happy to see someone talking about the high level of quality in comics today. In 1989, I could count all the talented comics writers on one hand with fingers left over. Now there are dozens of good writers. I don't even try to keep up with them all, there are so many. I'd love to figure out a way to get these excellent comics to the audience they deserve. (I wrote some of my ideas about this at www.comicbookmanifesto.com if you'd like to check it out.)

As for what I'm reading now, I'm very price conscious, so I've subscribed to a couple of Marvel's triple-packs so I can get comics at $1.40 each. Can't beat the price, and I'm having fun reading Spider-man, Invincible Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America. I also subscribed to Detective Comics and Streets of Gotham recently ($2 each), but I haven't started reading them yet. I'm also on Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited, and I've been reading like crazy over there. (I'll have to look you up on there. I'm a fan of your blog, I'd probably dig your comics as well.) The only comics I'm willing to pay full price for are the books Mike Mignola puts out for Dark Horse - Hellboy, BPRD, Witchfinder, Baltimore, etc. I love that stuff.

I've said regularly since 2005 or so that comics were consistently the best entertainment medium, and that hasn't changed. Just top quality hand crafted art and writing on a regular basis, and comic stores are doing some cool sales to compete with sites like amazon.

This article was a very enjoyable read! I have over 55 short boxes, not counting three book cases full of graphic novels. However, I don't have anything in my collection that is super rare. It's just books I enjoy and some like you mentioned; 100 Bullets and Fluorescent Black.

My picks:

Savage Dragon
    http://www.savagedragon.com

StarDrop
    http://iboxpublishing.com

Lethargic Lad
    http://www.lethargiclad.com

glamourpuss
    http://cerebustv.com

My Marvel picks: Amazing Spider-Man and Astonishing Spider-Man/Wolverine

Mike Kitchen
    Ultraist Studios
    Mike Kitchen - Ultraist Studios

Books that I'm reading now that are worth praising? Goodness, let me start:
    20th Century Boys, 7 Billion Needles, Akira, Amazing Spider-Man, Atomic Robo, Batman Inc, Fear Agent (is this still coming out? I'm still waiting on the latest trade), Fullmetal Alchemist, GANTZ, Incorruptible, Irredeemable, Morning Glories, Negima, Oh My Goddess, Ooku, Orc Stain, Scalped, Secret Warriors, Sixth Gun, Thunderbolts, Yotsuba&!

And I'm waiting for Butcher Baker and Non-Player to start and for Supergod to come out on paperback that look sure to be good.
    Last edited by Gorgeousaur; 02-16-2011 at 06:24 PM.
    20th Century Boys 7 Billion Needles Akira Battle Angel Alita Fullmetal Alchemist GANTZ Negima Oh My Goddess Ooku, Yotsuba&!
    Amazing Spider-Man Batman Inc BPRD DMZ Fables Hellboy Orc Stain

Mike Kitchen - Ultraist Studios

I don't see how a list of amazing comics today can exist without Grant Morrison's current run on Batman. This is maybe the most ambitious and high-quality long-term run a superhero character has ever had. It's almost at the point where I may have to quit reading Batman comics after he leaves just because I don't know how anything can ever be so consistently satisfying after this. Batman to Final Crisis to Batman & Robin to the Return of Bruce Wayne and now Batman Inc. I've NEVER had this much fun reading comic books, nor been so consistently amazed at the long-term planning that has gone into it all.