Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateMarvel Dude View Post
    Thanks!
    Any other books I should definately read before Dark Tower?
    Also, can you say anything to my other questions?
    Not really, Tik's list above works pretty well but Salem's Lot is really the only one that gets spoiled if you don't read it first.
    "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die." -Mel Brooks
    OIF 08-09
    OEF 10-11
    Do it yourself tech support link

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Not really, Tik's list above works pretty well but Salem's Lot is really the only one that gets spoiled if you don't read it first.
    Thanks.

Could you tell me which release of the books you have? Also does it include all colored illustrations?

In the Evil Force of Evil Chiasm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateMarvel Dude View Post
    Seems like you forgot to include a link. Did you maybe meant to show this one or this one?
    Oops. Yeah the second one.

http://www.stephenking.com/DarkTower/connections.html

I read them all on Kindle(I was in Afghanistan at the time, so paper books wouldn't have been practical), which had black and white illustrations.
    "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die." -Mel Brooks
    OIF 08-09
    OEF 10-11
    Do it yourself tech support link

I just started 11/23/63. Does it have any connections? I'm already assuming that the time portal is some sort of thinnie or something like that.

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Hmmmm. Interesting. I've been reading King for something like 32 1/2 years now, & I've never before heard (mainly because I haven't been paying attention) that there were any echoes between the Dark Tower stuff & other parts of his oeuvre. I read the first Dark Tower book back in '89 but wasn't impressed; I've got the next 2 or 3 but haven't cracked their covers. Other than Lisey's Story & Duma Key (which I just haven't gotten around to) & bits & pieces of Just After Sunset, I think they're the only things of his I haven't read.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

It's like Asimov's late career push to link up his Robots, Empire, and Foundation series. If you're obsessive, the connections are all there. If you're not, they mostly read fine on their own. Ninety-five percent of them are just glancing references or Easter Eggs.

The only bit that bothers me is the 2003 revision of The Gunslinger to bring it in line with later books in the series. The book was fine as is, and arguably the best book in the series.
    Expletive Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    Hmmmm. Interesting. I've been reading King for something like 32 1/2 years now, & I've never before heard (mainly because I haven't been paying attention) that there were any echoes between the Dark Tower stuff & other parts of his oeuvre. I read the first Dark Tower book back in '89 but wasn't impressed; I've got the next 2 or 3 but haven't cracked their covers. Other than Lisey's Story & Duma Key (which I just haven't gotten around to) & bits & pieces of Just After Sunset, I think they're the only things of his I haven't read.
    I'm assuming you didn't read Insomnia or Black House then because those two books are so deeply connected that its impossible to miss. Black House especially since it directly refers to Roland and his crew many times.

Wait...I know you. Captain Clarkie's Avatar

Other than Lisey's Story & Duma Key (which I just haven't gotten around to) & bits & pieces of Just After Sunset, I think they're the only things of his I haven't read.
    You should read Lisey's Story, it's possibly my favourite King book. It's a beautiful tale and a great examination of grief and loss.
    'Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth.'

There are various good reasons to skip all the non-DT books, even the ones that seem important:

Eyes of the Dragon. The characters were said to show up in DT series but never did.

The Stand. Just because Flagg is in the book doesn't really make it necessary to read to enjoy the DT series. You could go into Book 4 without knowing who Flagg is and be fine. That being said, the Stand is my favorite thing he wrote.

Talisman/Black House/Hearts in Atlantis. Although obviously part of the DT world, they're not necessary information for Roland's quest. I guess it helps explain what exactly the big bad is doing and how he's doing it, but that knowledge isn't necessary.

Salem's Lot. You could go into Book 5 without knowing the background of the priest, as suggested by another poster.

Insomnia. It's perhaps better not to read Insomnia because the prophetic information about Patrick only partially came true, anyway. More exposition about the big bad but not necessary.

Also, there's a new DT book advertised on Amazon. I guess it's book 4.5?
    Last edited by Meehl; 03-03-2012 at 05:09 PM.
    VIVA KUSASAN!!! Morrison On Magneto: I made him into a stupid old drug-addicted idiot. CC had done a lot of good work over the years to redeem the character. And I went in and sh*t on all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post
    It's like Asimov's late career push to link up his Robots, Empire, and Foundation series. If you're obsessive, the connections are all there. If you're not, they mostly read fine on their own. Ninety-five percent of them are just glancing references or Easter Eggs.

I still remember reading the end of one of those books that tied nearly everything together and going woooooooo. And that was 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiasm View Post
    I just started 11/23/63. Does it have any connections? I'm already assuming that the time portal is some sort of thinnie or something like that.
    Perhaps you've finished it by now, but yes it definitely has some small connections (a Takuro Spirit & the number 19 all over the place are a couple examples) as well as possibly one really big connection near the very end that I won't spoil here.

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chiasm View Post
    I'm assuming you didn't read Insomnia or Black House then because those two books are so deeply connected that its impossible to miss. Black House especially since it directly refers to Roland and his crew many times.
    Insomnia I read, though I don't recall anything being as obvious as you say ... though I don't doubt that you're correct.

Black House I haven't read because I never made it more than a couple of dozen pages into The Talisman.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Insomnia I read, though I don't recall anything being as obvious as you say ... though I don't doubt that you're correct.

Black House I haven't read because I never made it more than a couple of dozen pages into The Talisman.
    I haven't read Insomnia in a while so I can't remember specifics other than the book is largely about the Crimson King and what he's doing and why he must be stopped.

Talisman gets much better once you get past the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by insidemyhead View Post
    Perhaps you've finished it by now, but yes it definitely has some small connections (a Takuro Spirit & the number 19 all over the place are a couple examples) as well as possibly one really big connection near the very end that I won't spoil here.
    Also a couple of characters from IT

Speaking of the ending (no spoilers I promise) but I think 11/22/63 has one of the best and emotional endings of a King book.

New Tower book comes out this month. Part of me is worried that the story shouldn't be added to but mostly I'm just excited to see these characters again.