Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: When Words Collide - Feb 14, 2011

Tim and Ryan K. Lindsay conclude their month-long exploration into the major runs that have made "Daredevil" so special, or not-so-special, in the pre-Marvel Knights era. This week: Nocenti, Chichester and more.

Full article here.

Born Again is my favourite Daredevil story but Fall from Grace runs it close. Different beasts but both interesting.

Now I need to dig out my Nocenti issues. Wasn't over keen on them at the time but somehow could never bare to part with 'em either. Whatever happened to Number nine?

Number Nine zoomed off with the Inhumans, but I have no idea what happened to her after that. Anyone know if that plot was ever picked up again?
    Timothy Callahan
    CBR Staff Writer

Reviews -- My CBR Reviews/Articles
    GeniusboyFiremelon -- My Blog

33408 is the other way ian33407's Avatar

I agree a lot with all your says about Chichester and Mc Daniel' run, who has the qualties of his defaults, and remain absolutely convinced than the armor is really DD' future. Chichester tried occult, cyber-punk, that ain't so bad as vehicle for the usual super-heroic stuff.

I didn't know about the Levasseur that Ryan likes so much - and his Palanhiuk suggestion is very interesting, as I mentionned it in an early post I loved as kid a WHAT IF issue by Frank Miller, MATT MURDOCK AGENT OF S.H.I.E.L.D, and I still feel it as a great option for the character, don't know if people are ready to actually see him in the actual Steve Rogers suit, neither leading a team of SECRET WARRIORS; just a suggestion, that said...

I'm also the sole member and a foundating one of the Ann Nocenti cult, and am really curious about the particular 'chord you see her stories usually stikes in some persons'. Rea-lly interested, coz I've noticed how re-assuring it seems - for some OTHERS people - to claim admiration for BMB or Brubaker' run.
    Sure it won't feet with your Miller-continuity topic, but she did better street-level stories than everybody were trying ( really ? ) to do at the time, and super-heroes stories as well. Why bother ?
    Last edited by ian33407; 02-14-2011 at 03:52 PM.
    " Things are going to slide in all directions "
    Leonard Cohen - The Future

http://www.comicvine.com/number-nine/29-28768/

Nope, she was lost in the annals of comic book history. PS JRJR drew the best DD ever!

The battle between him and Bullet was fantastic.

BANNED

I DEMAND MORE DAREDEVIL DIALOGUES!

Excuse me, need to go make some more alt accounts to cast more votes.

Here's what it will take for Ryan and I to do the rest of the DD Dialogues (and thus complete the conversation up through Diggle): Um, like two or three dudes saying, "do it."

If that happens, look for more DD Dialogues in March or April.
    Timothy Callahan
    CBR Staff Writer

the nocenti arcs need hardcover treatments, no doubt.. the Mephisto arc was classic, especially with the updated John Romita Jr. rendition and the subtle shout-out to Public Enemy...

Gene Colan. The definitive Daredevil artist. I treasure what he and Stan did with the character. I also loved what Frank Miller did with the character. I plan to re-read all those comics again and again and savor them until I die.

All the rest? Ehhh. I've got 'em all, but no other issues of Daredevil are calling me to re-read them.

Am I the only one under the impression that some of the paragraphs that are not in bold type were actually written by Tim instead of Ryan?

Here is another voice calling for more DD Dialogues.

I read every word of this great conversation concerning Volume 1, and as a reader who followed DD from the beginning to "Born Again", then quit comics, and only jumped back in to resume life with my favourite character with Bendis/Maleev I appreciate being educated on the vast terrain of those missing years.

DD has been pretty fine since I started rejoining the fray some years back, and it would be great so see what you guys think about this vol. 2 iteration of the Man Without Fear.

What OS and browser are you using, Starro? It looks correct from my computer.
    Timothy Callahan
    CBR Staff Writer

Yup, more please.
    KIMOTAZAM!!
    (like 'Zing!', only bigger and louder)

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    the nocenti arcs need hardcover treatments, no doubt..
    Couldn't agree more. Her DD run is my second favorite on the book, right after Miller's Born Again arc. I loved her stuff, largely because she didn't try to follow Miller by aping Miller. She held firm to the character of Matt Murdock that Miller had developed but did so in her own voice (something few, if any DD writers since have come close to doing).

Quote Originally Posted by nemocub View Post
    PS JRJR drew the best DD ever!
    His DD was great, but I think it was his Kingpin that was really definitive.

I demand the return of this feature. I am going CRAAAAAAAAAAAAZY on this messageboard. I want more. Crazy. CRAAAAAAAAAZY