Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Has Wonder Woman ever been to the Amazon?

The title pretty much sums it up. There is a huge swath of land (and an entire state in Brazil) named after the Amazons. Has WW or her sisters ever been there?
    Claudio Pozas
    www.enworld.org/Pozas

U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar

She paid a very quick visit recently, in Vol 3 Issue 36
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ClaudioPozas View Post
    The title pretty much sums it up. There is a huge swath of land (and an entire state in Brazil) named after the Amazons. Has WW or her sisters ever been there?
    That's where she broke up with Nemesis.

E = p(orn) x C(offee)˛ Finganforn's Avatar

Afaik it is actually named after the Amazon River (I think back at that time it was literally called River of the Amazons) which is the one named after the greek Amazons [/historic correctness gibberish].

I wonder that too, considering how the river first got its name and consequentially the region/state. If I remember right, folklore says there was a matriarchal tribe that only accepted women, dont ask me what was their name, that was pretty similar to the myth of the Amazons and they eventually got referenced by the more popular (for the Portuguese anyway) name than whatever the locals used. I think it would be an interesting thing to tie in WW's own mythos.
    Last edited by Finganforn; 02-12-2011 at 03:21 PM.
    [/sarcasm]

Quote Originally Posted by TripleX View Post
    That's where she broke up with Nemesis.
    Yes, that's where Nemesis broke up with her.
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”

Can't we say instead "that is where Nemesis and Diana broke up" to satisfy both sides?
    [/sarcasm]

Quote Originally Posted by Finganforn View Post
    Can't we say instead "that is where Nemesis and Diana broke up" to satisfy both sides?
    Sure. Just as long as nobody as is wearing the golden lasso.

Dark Knight Detective DarkKnghtJared's Avatar

I wonder that too, considering how the river first got its name and consequentially the region/state. If I remember right, folklore says there was a matriarchal tribe that only accepted women, dont ask me what was their name, that was pretty similar to the myth of the Amazons and they eventually got referenced by the more popular (for the Portuguese anyway) name than whatever the locals used. I think it would be an interesting thing to tie in WW's own mythos.
    That could be interesting--especially now since Paradise Island is no more right at the moment.

They agreed not to be together - is everyone happy with that? ;)

image from http://norprostitute.blogspot.com/20...te-wonder.html

BANNED

I don't see what the big whoop is. They're not together anymore because Diana was portrayed as a conniving, manipulative b*tch and Nemesis was right to leave her needy @ss alone.

This is bad comedy. Schornforce's Avatar

IIRC, the Amazon rain forest was also where Flash and Wonder Woman fought Poison Ivy in 'A League of One.'

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

I seem to remember that she visited the Amazon basin in the "Justice League of Amazons" book that was part of a JLA arc.
    Superhero comic books only become art to the extent that their banal, unrealistic fantasy and garish styles go too far and become interesting. Attempts to ground them in reality can only ruin them.

So, a couple of minor panels, but no larger stories, then?

It'd be cool to set Paradise Island there. Specially since some really old ruins were discovered there recently. The Amazon River even flows around the largest freshwater island in the world, Marajó , roughly the size of Switzerland.
    Claudio Pozas
    www.enworld.org/Pozas

Quote Originally Posted by ClaudioPozas View Post
    So, a couple of minor panels, but no larger stories, then?

It'd be cool to set Paradise Island there. Specially since some really old ruins were discovered there recently. The Amazon River even flows around the largest freshwater island in the world, Marajó , roughly the size of Switzerland.
    I wouldn't as far as to put Paradise Island there, but to have a "branch" there. In the older version of WW's mythos (the "classic", except it has been reboot and altered by the many crisis like everything else) it could be another 'tribe' or faction like the Bana were. I would tie them more to the local ancient religions, perhaps giving them a similar mission there too.

In current continuity it could be a "new" PI. Same idea of a different faction (but perhaps less distant this time than they would be in the old mythos) that escaped the destruction of PI and, due to its location, is the only place inhabited by Amazons invaders couldn't find (dense forest, these being secondary targets, magic concealment, Amazons knew "main land" was already attacked, etc.) what left them as a safe heaven.
    [/sarcasm]

Back before the end of the original series, the Earth-1 Wonder Woman discovered a tribe of Amazons living along the Amazon river. They were former residents of Paradise Island who had left because they felt too restricted under Hippolyta's rule. This was during the whole campaign to turn Hippolyta into a scheming, manipulative shrew.
    We shall make war as we have lived our lives, as sisters of the bow. And our war shall be the war of Amazons against the race of men.