Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Dynamite Releases "Kirby: Genesis" Details

"Kirby: Genesis," the universe-launching series based on Jack Kirby's creator-owned characters, kicks off in May with a $1 #0 issue and finished art by Jack Herbert over Alex Ross layouts and a Kurt Busiek script.

Full article here.

NEW VALIANT blog is up! Manga4life's Avatar

I can't even begin to express my excitement for Kirby: Genesis, seriously, I'm really hoping that the mini-series does good and that we will be looking at a whole new universe of superheroes and villains to explore and grow with, it's time for some more fresh superhero content instead of the same old formula used by Marvel and DC. If Dynamite rolls this out into monthly books after the mini-series ends then I will be a happy camper, especially since some of these characters look downright awesome.

I love this concept .. have high hopes for it... mainly because of who is doing it.

Sounds cool but is there any word on the long, long delayed Captain Victory reprint? It seems this would be the time for it.
    Ted Kord is Blue Beetle!
    Kyle Rainer is the one true Green Lantern!
    Wally West is the Flash!
    Donna Troy is Wonder Girl!

The Newer 52! Coming in Summer 2014

I'll be giving this a shot never read any of the kirbyverse type stuff so it'll all be new to me

But will these be written with the zest and craziness of the old Lee-Kirby, or Kirby-Kirby comics? I won't buy, otherwise. Kirby's art--or his characters, as far as I'm concerned--is just not Kirby without Stan the Man's wackiness and operatic melodrama, or The King's visionary bombast. Imagine Joe Casey, in Gødland mode, read aloud by William Shatner. THAT'S what I want!!

Quote Originally Posted by booziehand View Post
    I'll be giving this a shot never read any of the kirbyverse type stuff so it'll all be new to me
    I'm looking at this with a similar view, I've never read anything related to these characters so I'm going into this series as if these characters are brand new with no history behind them, which is the same way I approached Project Superpowers as well.

Finally! I thought this was slated for December for some reason. Really looking forward to The King's creations getting this new breath of life!
    Did Wonder Woman and Superman just catch an aircraft carrier?

I'll give it a try.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.

And either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives.

You're Talkin' Gibberish! Kurt Busiek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kyoto View Post
    Sounds cool but is there any word on the long, long delayed Captain Victory reprint? It seems this would be the time for it.
    If I remember correctly, the long-delayed CAPTAIN VICTORY reprint was set to come from Image, and they don't have the rights to it any more, so they can't do it. Nice job on SILVER STAR, though.

It would be great if Dynamite would do a CV collection, but if they do it isn't long-delayed, since they haven't announced one. Or at least, I haven't heard such an announcement.

kdb

busiek busiek
    Visit Busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

You're Talkin' Gibberish! Kurt Busiek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xenos View Post
    Imagine Joe Casey, in Gødland mode, read aloud by William Shatner. THAT'S what I want!!
    It won't be that. Much as I like Joe Casey, I don't think I could write like him if you threatened me. And I'm not sure how to make prose read like it's being read aloud by Shatner.

But I hope you'll like the results anyway.

kdb
    Visit Busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

LA now, NYC born & raised Ziza9's Avatar

Excuse me, I think I just soiled my man undies. This looks and sounds beautiful. I'm very excited for this.
    Child of the Bronze Age.
    My Con schedule: Wondercon, E3, SDCC

The Padre (Guy Padre) @ http://godhatesgeeks.com/

"SILVER STAR" is one of my personal favorite Jack Kirby books. I have a weakness for unfiltered, crazy Kirby ideas and so am looking forward to this project. The interior art teased REALLY looks nice, too.

This certainly has me intrigued.

Dynamite Entertainment needs to do with this what they failed to do with Project Superpowers and put a deep focus on this universe of heroes and go full throttle towards getting books on the shelves and other such merchandise on the market, they need something to propell them into the #4 or #3 position and this could be it as long as they get big talent on the ongoings and mini's that will come out of this initial title by Ross/Busiek. They need something to compete with Marvel and DC and after starting slow they need to dive in and promote the hell out of it, PSP could have competed had the books stayed on time and had they got some bigger named artists and writers on the books, though I still loved the way they turned out in the end.