Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Dini Takes Readers to "Arkham City" in Comic Tie-in

DC Comics has announced a six-issue comic tie-in to the upcoming "Batman: Arkham City" video game. Written by game writer Paul Dini and illustrated by concept artist Carlos D'anda, the series launches in May.

Full article here.

I loved the concept art of these games and love Dini's writing usually, so I'm gonna pick this up obviously. But, based off the incentive to buy digitally, I think this is going to be my first excursion into the digital realm of comics, just to test the waters, see if I like it.

Never before has trade waiting made more sense, to get the full package in printed form. I'll probably play the game first, then get the trade when it's released.

Looks like it's more worth to buy the collected edition.

Still, unexpected but great news, and I am really hyped for the game too. More ventures into the Arkham world is great. Is Carlos the artist who drew the profile pictures for the game?
    "Criminals are a cowardly, superstitious lot." - Dick Grayson
    "That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard." - Damian Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyZERO View Post
    Is Carlos the artist who drew the profile pictures for the game?
    yeah. I'm excited for that. His concepts were pretty sick.

I can't wait for this.

BANNED

Definitely getting the digital comic for this. Makes perfect sense for a video game based book.

Default CBR: Dini Takes Readers to "Arkham City" in Comic Tie-in

This sounds great. Dini is my favourite Batman writer, and the artist looks talented.
    EAT GLASS, LAWMAN!

Well I'm sold for all the issues and the trade.

Like a few of you guys, I'm waiting for the trade paperback. The game itself is going to kick ass.

One of my favorite parts of the original game was finding the character bios just to look at the cool art designs. D'anda is awesome. What a cover!

I don't like Paul Dini's comic writing, and I tend to avoid "side projects that explain what happened from point A to point B" like the plague since they are usually wholly unimportant and ignored in the big picture, but for the art alone I'm kinda interested in this.

Needs to be posted in the actual thread, one of the best Batman images I've seen in a while:

Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

Excellent news. This is such a logical move I'm surprised they didn't do it properly for the first game and for the Nolan movies. I made a thread about this a while ago - the opportunity screen media presents and the need for something to bridge the stylistic and contextual gap between screen and traditional superhero comics.

True, there WAS a shortstory Arkham Asylum tie-in - it was a total misfire - and the closest the movies got was the Joker GN - which was good - but under-promoted and still they could have done more imo, strategically and creatively and in additional projects.

The trick is to make comics that appeal to *people who don't read comics*. Easier said than done. Dini with the animated background is obviously a good pick but I wonder if he'll come over a little too cartoony, cheesy or "superhero" for an older gaming audience accustomed to the types of hyper violent, realistic, "serious face" storytelling found in COD cut scenes and HBO series. The litmus test will be: does this comic match the mood, content and awesomess of the AA cut scenes? At a guess I'd say the AA cut scenes owe more to outstanding production design than Dini's own scripting.

If DC was aiming for kids, Dini would be perfect, but I can't helping wondering what Jason Aaron would turn out on this project. Still, very much looking forward to it, hope this is a hit and the trade becomes something we can reccommend to anyone who loved the movies or game and wants to know more.
    Last edited by nepenthes; 02-09-2011 at 10:39 PM.

Gonna get this in singles and trade.Having one of the concept artists and Dini on this series is great and the cover of issue one should be a poster and t-shirt!
    "EVENT FATIGUE: Get real. You're still buying so how fatigued can you be?" - Keith Giffen

Will wait for the trade. 40 pages of extra story content is definitely too much material in my opinion to just stick with the singles.

I will be getting this.