Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Doctor Strange - From the Marvel Vault

It was a quaint little tale with origins of 177A Bleecker Street, Greenwich. The shared writing credit was admirble to note. Quite a simple story but effectively told. It does apparently introduce Tyanon who cannot be found on a Yahoo search. Her familiar looks familiar though - like maybe he was a cameo house knicknack from around the time of the classis Stern/Smith stories. Does anyone know if the Sanctum Sanctorum being the 7th bldg on this site is new trivia or old? The art was not as enjoyable but compararable to Mignola.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TYANON.JPG  

can't wait to get this...although it will be three weeks until i get my mitts on it! too long between Dr. Strange comics.

I enjoyed this quite a bit. Always good to read Roger Stern working in the MU... especially Dr. Strange who he is so well known for (though I have yet to read most of his run... when's the next Essential due?).

I know there is a Thunderbolts From the Marvel Vault coming out too... I hope to see more of these, it's fun to see old stories finally seeing print after all these years.

I really enjoyed this too, both the writing and the art. I would definitely be up for buying more books like this, or something like the black and white Mystic Hands of Doctor Strange we got last year. It was really cool to hear Strange reciting his rhyming incantations. I love that stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Bookem Danno View Post
    Does anyone know if the Sanctum Sanctorum being the 7th bldg on this site is new trivia or old?
    I'd also like to know, if it hasnt been mentioned before then it could make for some interesting stories and development to come. ive never read too much Doctor Stange before, but i grabbed this as i am always intrigued by new stories adding to a characters origin.

As is usual for a modern book, the art was average.

Best single issue I have read in a long time. Both the art and writing amazed me. Glad to see Roger Stern knocking it out of the park with this amazing tale.
    "I visited Latveria and all I got is a bunch of Doombot heads."

-Deadpool-
    Doomwar # 5

government's watching you matt levin's Avatar
    western Massachusetts, USA; rural, river valley

yeah, I enjoyed this, too; had to adjust a bit to the artwork, which I realized was channeling but not aping the amazing Steve Ditko Dr. Strange artwork. And me, too, I submit my vote for more like this...ESPECIALLY more Doc. Thanks for the chance to see this, Marvel; but why do I enjoy the Marvel past so much more than I do the Marvel present?
    Walking Man Comics

Age/Bronze-A.S.Westrn-AstroCity-Amelia-CourtneyC.-Brody'sGhost-DD-Dial H-Fables-Fatale-Fell-Goon-Groo-Hellboy-Mudman-NextWave-Rocketeer-StarDrop-Thief-Usagi-Wolff/Byrd-Unwritten

Perhaps this is because I'm not entrenched with encyclopedic Marvel knowledge, but I didn't find this issue so great. I didn't like the art, but the story was good. It wasn't great, however. This is something I think should be a digital release only, for maybe a dollar less. I didn't think it was worth even $2.99.

Doesn't Want To See That! coconutphone's Avatar

Very fun read! Glad I picked it up. Any fan of Stephen Strange should get this.
    Schmitty's Evil Twin.

This was fun, I think the CBR review nailed it comparing it to a Saturday morning cartoon. I think the fact that it was Strange and books starring him are rare made me like it more than I might have otherwise.

So, hey, did anyone else really, really think the bit with the cigarette at the start was edited for current Marvel policy? By which I mean, Strange accepted one, but it got digitally edited out and replaced with a two-panel lecture on how smoking is bad that had nothing else to do with the story?

Observe how the well-known "make sure he pays his bill" panel recreated here is missing the cigarette and lighter Strange was firing up in his origin story, yet his hands and mouth are positioned just so....
    Last edited by Chris McFeely; 02-06-2011 at 04:56 PM.

Would somebody give Roger Stern a regular gig!!! Between this and his recent "Something Can Stop the Juggernaut" story over in Amazing Spider-Man, I'm loving his work now as much as I did his older stuff (and yes, I realize that this is technically some of his older stuff too).

My dream scenario would be for him to take over as regular scribe of Avengers or Secret Avengers.

Now excuse me while I go order the hardcover compilations of Stern's Avengers: Under Siege, Captain America: War and Remembrance, and Doctor Strange: Into the Dark Dimension story lines.
    BOOSTER GOLD (Michael Jon Carter), HAWKEYE (Clint Barton), IRON FIST (Daniel Rand), MOON KNIGHT (Marc Spector aka Steven Grant aka Jake Lockley), NIGHTCRAWLER (Kurt Wagner),
    NOVA (Richard Rider)

This comic was by far one of the best I've read in a while. Sure, it wasn't the most involved read but it was fun. Stern really has a handle on how to use Doctor Strange and I think if they gave him the chance he could make Strange into a viable hero again.

An enjoyable story, not a great Strange story, but with the lack of Strange stories out there, it'll do quite nicely.

What is wrong with Stern. He wrote an entire story in one book, including retelling the origin of the character and telling the history of the Sanctum. All the while giving us a cool fight with a demon that is resolved.
    Come on, Bendis should have written this, then we could get a good two years worth of books from this one story.
    Or maybe Morrison, so he could bring in obscure characters whose actions only make sense if we have an encyclopedic knowledge of every story they have appeared in.
    And what's with the clean fun art that tells the story without gratuitous splash pages and static pose shots?