Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Did they ever explain why Noh-Varr took the "Protector" name?

Protector is a lame name. It sounds like a car security system. Even if he isn't "the" Captain Marvel it makes more sense that he would keep the name since it seems more in line with what Bendis is trying to do with The Avengers. We've got Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Spider-Man, Wolverine, (a) Hulk, Spider-Woman, Hawkeye and....Protector? WTF.

Anyway like I initially asked was there ever a reason given for him not assuming that name permanently?
    Black Panther eats pizza, we eat pizza!

When he got his new set of Nega Bands from the Kree supreme intelligence, he was told he was Earth's new protector... That was in the Dark Avengers Annual. I don't know why that stuck as his codename. I agree that it's ridiculously lame.

It's a God awful name for a superhero. Bad Bendis, bad!

BANNED

Its no more crappy then hulk. Besides I assume the name Captain Marvel is tied down in a brutal legal battle over who owns the rights too the name.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaddix View Post
    Its no more crappy then hulk. Besides I assume the name Captain Marvel is tied down in a brutal legal battle over who owns the rights too the name.
    I doubt it, he was Captain Marvel in Dark Avengers. I also think that the CSBG book mentioned that Marvel uses it to keep the trademark away from DC, so I don't see them relinquishing it. But then again, when was the last time they published a Captain Marvel titled comic? DC still uses Shazam!, right? I figured if they had the name then they'd launch a new Captain Marvel title.

Also, names back then have had a lot of cooking time to gain prestige. Like Giant-Man. The Protector is in a time where a lot more creative names are the norm when introducing new characters.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeBodyAtCBR View Post
    But then again, when was the last time they published a Captain Marvel titled comic?
    Ummmmm only like two or three years ago...leading up to Secret Invasion.

I wouldn't know, that was before I got back into comics, lol. I think they need to put out a Captain Marvel title in a certain timeframe to keep the copyright. Where's Brian Cronan when you need him?

Until now, i had no idea that Noh Varr and The protector were the same people. I always saw The Protector listed at the front of the book, but I nevre knew that it was him. Does anyone in the Avengers actually call him that?

I always assumed it was because they were bringing back Mar-Vell...but I was disappointed yet again at the end of "Dead Avengers". They keep on teasing it but they never bring him back for good. It's such a waste...someone should at the very least take up that classic costume & name if Mar-vell isn't going to come back. I thought Noh-Varr would be Captain Marvel for sure after the foreshadowing in the Illuminati mini.
    Faves: Wolverine: Weapon X, the Avengers, X-Force, etc
    My Free Weekly eZine: http://tinyurl.com/ybcnhxe
    My Clothing Line: www.culturesclothing.com
    http://twitter.com/culturesclothes

BANNED

Who cares? He and Jennifer Beals are stinking up the book. Get them out.

I figured they were going to do something with the Captain Marvel name, maybe bring the original back or having one of his heirs take up the mantle and while they were figured out the logistics Noh-Varr got the Protector name and somewhere along the way the whole Captain Marvel thing fell through, Bendis and or editorial, figured enough time has passed that they may as well leave Noh-Varr with the Protector moniker and save Captain Marvel codename for some future story/character/event, that's my uninformed take anyways.

So, who thinks it will end up being Mike Moran who gets the name in time to come?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    So, who thinks it will end up being Mike Moran who gets the name in time to come?
    I didn't even consider that but it's a good point.
    Black Panther eats pizza, we eat pizza!

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    is he popular enough for that?
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

BANNED

No. They also didn't explain how the Supreme Intelligence talked to Noh-Varr when it's been destroyed for a while now but I guess "Architects" of Marvel can do whatever they want. They lay down the blueprint, it's up to the lower class of writers to worry about the details of how it's meant to actually work and make sense. "I'm a visionary, not a pragmatist! I want it to work this way and it will, whether it makes sense or fits continuity or not!" seems to be the Bendis mantra.